Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Help: Connecting in HKG on two separate tickets with 1:45hrs (immigration + checkin)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Connecting in HKG on two separate tickets with 1:45hrs (immigration + checkin)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, OW

Looking for advice for trying to make a complicated connection at HKIA.

I am flying DFW-HKG on AA on one ticket (with checked bags) and then connecting on HKG-BOM on 9W (Jet Airways) on a separate ticket, with 1:45 hrs connecting time.

Based on AA feedback, they will not do intraline baggage transfers outside of OneWorld (otherwise, would have been great given MCT of 60 mins). I need to pick up bags, clear immigration and customs, and then get to Terminal 2 (across Terminal 1) to check-in with bags with 9W. Traveling without checked baggage is not a possibility and I can't reticket.

Any feedback from someone who's done this before - is it possible if AA arrives on time? Searched forums, did not find anything similar. Much appreciated!

Last edited by mikc; May 15, 2015 at 4:45 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 16, 2015, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm not convinced by the "AA feedback". Jet Airways claims to interline with AA.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Arriving 6pm may be bit risky for immigration. Luggage and custom are non-issue of HKG but look at the recent AA 137 they are not doing real good for on-time performance. Especially during summer you are really at risk of weather delay.

Is it possible to cancel the ticket on 9W and rebook on CX so that you have peace of mind of check-through?
Old May 17, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, OW
Many thanks Christep and ChrisLi. AA feedback on baggage interline with partners is only for same ticket - here is an interesting view from TravelSort. With the risk of multiple things (AA137 delay, 9W check-in counters closing an hour before flight, etc.), working to see if I can get CX at something more affordable than 3x of 9W's fare or planning to stay night at HK and travel next day.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Please check this post (and contact GC Nanda) for a normal, ex-HKG India flight

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22751540-post2.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.