Second visit to Hong Kong... Few Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

I have a break in Hong Kong, next week, and have a few questions.

I'll probably go hand luggage only, to make the airport and transport easier on arrival. I'll be staying at the Intercontinintal, in Tsim Sha Tsui. I've stayed here before, a few years back, so as a rough guide I'll be able to find my way to hotel easily from, for example, the Star Ferry Terminal. Questions.....

1. Assuming I don't chicken out and get a taxi (always possible, early AM when I'm tired), what's the best way to get to Tsim Sha Tsui and within walking distance of the hotel? From Googling, it looks like perhaps the train and then a shuttle bus from Kowloon Station.
  2. I've lost my Octopus card (fished it out last week, now lost it again ).... Will it be possible to get one of these at the airport, and use it for the train?
  3. I have a British Passport. Remind me: is Hong Kong free to enter, or is there a cost assoicated with immigration (the FCO website doesn't mention this, but does say there's no visa as such).
  4. I have just two empty, double pages left in my passport (and a couple of singles). Will this be enough for both Hong Kong and Macau (are immigration typically efficient in their use of passport real-estate)?
  5. With respect to 3, are there any immigration formalities associated with Macau (i.e. exiting Hong Kong, entering Macau, exiting Macau, re-entering Hong Kong)?
I'll add more questions as I think of them. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Internaut
I have a break in Hong Kong, next week, and have a few questions.

I'll probably go hand luggage only, to make the airport and transport easier on arrival. I'll be staying at the Intercontinintal, in Tsim Sha Tsui. I've stayed here before, a few years back, so as a rough guide I'll be able to find my way to hotel easily from, for example, the Star Ferry Terminal. Questions.....

1. Assuming I don't chicken out and get a taxi (always possible, early AM when I'm tired), what's the best way to get to Tsim Sha Tsui and within walking distance of the hotel? From Googling, it looks like perhaps the train and then a shuttle bus from Kowloon Station.
  2. I've lost my Octopus card (fished it out last week, now lost it again ).... Will it be possible to get one of these at the airport, and use it for the train?
  3. I have a British Passport. Remind me: is Hong Kong free to enter, or is there a cost assoicated with immigration (the FCO website doesn't mention this, but does say there's no visa as such).
  4. I have just two empty, double pages left in my passport (and a couple of singles). Will this be enough for both Hong Kong and Macau (are immigration typically efficient in their use of passport real-estate)?
  5. With respect to 3, are there any immigration formalities associated with Macau (i.e. exiting Hong Kong, entering Macau, exiting Macau, re-entering Hong Kong)?
Which IC? There are 2 in Kowloon. If you are talking about the IC on Salisbury Rd , why not take the A21 bus it drops you across the road going there (take the lift down cross over and lift back up) Stops just to the right of the right of the hotel(1st bus stop) when heading back to the airport all of 65HKD r/t and you can buy the tkt from the tkt office by the station area @ HKG
Being Im not from the UK Ill leave the other question sto those what is necessary for UKers
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:18 am

Both HK and Macau give slips not stamps these days, so you won't use up any of your passport pages.No immigration fees in Macau or HK, but there are immigration formalities between HK and Macau.

Yes you can buy an Octopus card at the airport, but perhaps not in the wee hours, if that's when you're arriving. Note that the MTR and normal buses don't run in the wee hours, only the occasional night bus service.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Thanks. Yes, I'm staying at the Intercontinental on Salisbury Road.

Scheduled arrival of CX0358 from MAN is 07:05, so I'm guessing the arrivals lounge, shops and transport will all be active by then.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:16 am

HK doesn't give entry stamps. Entry is painless- fill the form and show your passport, immigration will just insert a small slip in it. You should keep the slip though it is not asked for on the way out (no exit stamp too).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut

1) Definitely the Airport Express to Kowloon, connecting to the free shuttle bus to your hotel.

2) Yes, you can get a new Octopus card at the airport. Note that I think you have to use cash (HK$) for the card deposit. However, you can buy an Airport Express ticket with a credit card.

3) No immigration cost to enter Hong Kong, OR it is included in taxes/fees on your airline ticket. Nothing to pay in cash upon arrival. Just fill out your landing card and present it with your passport.

4) No problem about stamps--as already noted, neither HK or Macau immigration will stamp your passport on either arrival or departure.

5) Yes, you will need to clear immigration each time you enter/exit either of the two special administrative regions of the PRC. It is usually fairly efficient.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You could also consider getting one of the MTR tourist passes if that works better for you.
Correct that there is no fee to enter (and there is 180 days visa free stay for UK nationals visiting HK.)
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
1. Take airport Express train to Kowloon Station and then the complimentary hotel shuttle to IC. By the time you get to the taxi stand you would be on a train to town already.

2. Cash in HKD needed to get Octapus card. I have seen tourist paying for a "limited tourist travel pass" using credit card.

3. IMHO the Brits left on relatively good terms, they are still welcomed.

4/5. Answered already
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
3. IMHO the Brits left on relatively good terms, they are still welcomed.
Unless you are a MP coming to check out how things are doing here.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Unless you are a MP coming to check out how things are doing here.
OR
former governor thinking he still is the governor!
OR
Brits who think they still rule HK.

Others who are tourist or doing business for HK's prosperity are always welcomed.

Last edited by tentseller; Apr 18, 2015 at 9:25 am Reason: Added point 2
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I have seen tourist paying for a "limited tourist travel pass" using credit card.
Did that yesterday. HKD 300 for a card good for two Airport Express trips, plus unlimited MTR rides for 72 hours. If you return the card before leaving Hong Kong, you get HKD 50 back.

They seem to take all major CC's (I used Amex, but the MC, Visa and JCB logos were visible, did not notice Diners).
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Did that yesterday. HKD 300 for a card good for two Airport Express trips, plus unlimited MTR rides for 72 hours. If you return the card before leaving Hong Kong, you get HKD 50 back.

They seem to take all major CC's (I used Amex, but the MC, Visa and JCB logos were visible, did not notice Diners).
One need to be aware that this pass is only for MTR during the 72hours/3 or 5 days. It is not valid on buses, ferries and the tram.
As I take either bus 6 (Central-Stanley) or bus 15 (Central/Admiralty-Peak) there has been many instances where I need to assist by mentioning to tourist with this pass of the pass's limitation.

Diners is not a major CC in Asia. It's presence is limited to intl chained hotels, high end intl brand retail and high end dining.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
OR
former governor thinking he still is the governor!
OR
Brits who think they still rule HK.

Others who are tourist or doing business for HK's prosperity are always welcomed.
Not true-he is more than welcome
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
1. I would take the Airport Express instead to the Kowloon stop and then get your free hotel shuttle from there.

2. Yes, you can get an Octopus card at the Airport in the arrivals hall, just note that it's cash only.

3. Just fill out the landing card and your good to go

4. Probably won't get a stamp
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone. Just one sleep to go, and then I'm on my way. I'll post a trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.