Wiki Posts
Search

Bigger Clothing for Western Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club

Is there anywhere of quality to buy clothes for American male sizes? I'm 180 cm, 110 kg. XL shirt. Waist size 91 or 97. Shoes 300 (Japanese 30). Or, in American measurement, 5'11", 250, waist 36/38. Size 12-13 shoe.

I live in Seoul, where there are bigger sizes, but the problem is always the cut in the armpits/shoulders and sleeve length. Asian cut, if you will. We have some places that get stuff from the US , but they're not exactly name brand, recent season or of guaranteed quality.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
American cuts are tough to find unless you shop American brands, even then stock will be limited. Most high-end shops do offer quick alteration to make a sale, or you could always go tailored.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
In HK I was told by a sales clerk at Wing On department store that I was at least a XXL for shirts and jackets (I'm typically L-XL in North America; jacket size 46-48). I did manage to find a jacket that fit...at Marks and Spencers.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
M&S would be my immediate suggestion as well; they carry some stuff up to 40" waist and 46" chest.

I'm US XXL and it's close to impossible to find anything here to fit me except the most casual of clothes (Stanley Market has casual clothes of variable quality up to really enormous sizes!). For formal stuff I get it tailored here; for less formal I have to gamble on online shopping, taking the hit if stuff shipped turns out not to fit (since return shipping is roughly the cost of the item).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Ah it's what I feared haha! Here in Seoul, I actually have no problem with pants at Uniqlo. Order 36 waist online. Shirts are completely out. I'll try M&S then.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
The problems isn't just finding XXL or XXXL - check the items you are about to purchase for length, as you might need to find XXLT or XXXLT - shirt sleeves are often 34" or 35" and not 36" (37" for some) depending on how it was "cut"
along with the "body" being shorter than the American build. The fabrics might sometimes be a little different (even it is 100% cotton or blend) more suitable for HK's subtropical year-round climate.
Prices for these plus-sizes are typically never on sale - Stanley Market might have the casual/weekend wear & outer garments, the other places to check is in the Sham Shui Po district, as they are known to have random ones destined for export abroad & selling excess inventories & "samples" - picked up 2 Levi denim shirts XXXL there at dirty-cheap prices. Or, checkout or see if you can call ahead to some of the stores at Tung Chung's outlet mall, just a short bus ride from HKIA if you have enough time during a layover.
Alas, it's cheaper to buy my sizes here in the States & my HKG trips is basically with a 22" carryon & optionally, a personal bag for easy access in-flight.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Tough to find unless your shopping for North American brands which are few & far in between in HK, most clothing is European cut.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Ah it's what I feared haha! Here in Seoul, I actually have no problem with pants at Uniqlo. Order 36 waist online. Shirts are completely out. I'll try M&S then.
Last time I was in HK, I stayed at Conrad HK. The Pacific mall downstairs have lots of shops carrying Western size clothing. The only problem is the cut. I am pretty sure most of the jeans are skinny jeans (for guys). I only wear boot cut or straight legged jeans. And for T-shirts.. XL in HK is about a L in US but again with the tight fitted cut.. so it is more like a M. The only clothing I bought back from Hong Kong last time were 2 pairs of Birkenstocks.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to the Gap. Works for me in Shanghai. I'm tall (187) but skinny by USA standards at least
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I was shocked how small everything was in HKG when I went to a mall a few years ago near HKG. I ended up with lots of edible souvenirs though
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

I tried Gap in Korea, but no success. Not to mention it's WAY overpriced here. More than it already was in America. For instance, the Gap hoodies of the 90s that no one in the US would be caught dead in.... 80$ here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.