Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong visa for US Permanent Resident

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong visa for US Permanent Resident

Hi I have a Sri Lankan passport/citizenship and US residency and live in NYC. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where to get a visa to Hong Kong.

The Chinese consulate website actually mentions travel/visa to Hong Kong, so I filled out the application and went to the consulate in Manhattan, but there they told me they don't process visa applications to Hong Kong, only to mainland China. I waited in line for couple of hours to find that out, feels like an idiot.

As a Sri Lankan citizen, I don't think I get visa-free entry or visa on arrival. I can't find anything other than the Chinese consulate when I google.

Also needs Visas into Germany and Thailand (also Singapore but I think Sri Lankan citizens don't need visa to go there). Is there any visa agency that will handle all of this that people can recommend?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:41 am

Of course the NY Consulate should accept HK visa applications. Perhaps they need to be submitted at a different window than the one you attended, I don't know. The NY Consulate does have a reputation for sometimes being difficult.

In any event, you can also mail your application directly to HK Immigration:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/vephmsar/
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Wait, what?

They gave me slip of paper with Hong Kong Immigration Dept website and phone number in Hong Kong itself. Why would they do that?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:23 pm

Well, they seem to be saying that even though they are supposed to accept the applications, they want you to send the application off to HK yourself instead. Remember that in the case of HK visas, the consulate does not approve/disapprove them in any case; all they do is forward the application to HK.

Look at Q2 in this FAQ for instructions on sending the visa application to HK:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/faq/visit-transit.html
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 pm

you are better off sending for your visa via mail to hong kong
i would send it express or priority mail with registration to protect you passport
and tracking purposes takes about 4 weeks for approval
as for germany must be done in person at the consulate by the UN
thailand can do by mail (10 days) or in person (2 days) on E52 st
singapore visa free for 30 days
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:09 pm

Yes, I suspect they are doing you a favor by steering you away. Getting your papers from the NY consulate to HK immigration probably involves slow movement through diplomatic channels via Beijing. But it would be nice if they told you this.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, that's exactly what it was, they're doing me a favor by steering me towards the faster channel. I found out after emailing the NY Consulate. They did say, if I really want to they can accept my application and forward to HK SAR Immigration.

I think I'm going to send it direct to HK. But I'm a bit nervous because they are not picking up the phone when I call to make sure I'm including everything. I did call during their open hours HK time. I'll be sending it Fedex overnight (or equivalent). I just want a few questions answered by them:

1. Can I pay extra to have them send my passport back through Fedex (or Priority/Express mail equivalent in HK) or whatever form that is more secure than regular mail
2. Make sure I'm including everything they require (application,12-mo multiple entry fee,bank statement,copy of green card, incoming and outgoing flight tickets, hotel reservation and passport). Is copy of greencard sufficient or do they require original (I'm supposed to keep original w/ me at all times)
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:07 pm

i'd check with HK immigration before you send it by fedex, the FAQ section says send it via postal airmail so they might not accept pkgs sent by private courier service
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moyeung
i'd check with HK immigration before you send it by fedex, the FAQ section says send it via postal airmail so they might not accept pkgs sent by private courier service
Yeah, that's the problem, they don't seem to answer their phone.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
1. Can I pay extra to have them send my passport back through Fedex (or Priority/Express mail equivalent in HK) or whatever form that is more secure than regular mail
2. Make sure I'm including everything they require (application,12-mo multiple entry fee,bank statement,copy of green card, incoming and outgoing flight tickets, hotel reservation and passport). Is copy of greencard sufficient or do they require original (I'm supposed to keep original w/ me at all times)
According to http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...guidebook.html you are required to send photocopies of your documents, not the originals! So don't send them your green card. Don't send them your passport either!

Also, if you're worried about how quickly they will process it (which I'm guessing by your desire to FedEx the documents), although you should follow up with the copies themselves by mail. They state twice that they want them by mail. I don't see why they wouldn't accept couriered documents, except that they are a government office, and government offices quite often have strange rules that must be precisely adhered to.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
Yeah, that's the problem, they don't seem to answer their phone.
Can try emailing. Usually very quick response (by bureaucratic standard).

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/contact-us.html
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much for the responses you provided here. It certainly helped.

I did end up mailing the application to Hong Kong and now waiting for a reply.

One thing I wanted to note in case anybody else needs to apply for a visa like me is that the application fee must be in a bank draft/cashier's check denominated in Hong Kong currency. It cannot be denominated in USD equivalents of the HKD amount. This took a while for me to figure out. Both Citi and Chase branches I went to told me that they no longer offer bank drafts/cashier's checks denominated in foreign currencies. Bank of America told me that I could place an order for one at the branch and it will be delivered to the branch in about 1-2 weeks. I eventually ended up at HSBC and they were able to do this for me.

I found it interesting that the application fee of HKD 190 (about USD 25 at the mid-market rate) cost me USD 50 + another USD 20 fee. Obviously, no one can buy currency at the mid-market rate and mark-up over ask price is to be expected. But double the mid-market rate is kinda funny. Obviously I took it as I had already wasted enough time going to 3 other banks. I would have preferred it if they worked that increase into the $20 fee and inflated that to by another $20 or so. Just to make me feel better. Heh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.