Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Frequently made mistakes when visiting HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'll be visiting HK in mid March with family and I had a few questions that I hope that some FTers will be able to answer. I've been reading on wikitravel for tips and tricks about HK and I still have a few questions.

After flying into HKG, I was wondering what's the best way people do to get some cash either for getting a taxi (likely since it seems more cost effective for the three of us) or taking the HK airport express into the city. I have a Charles Schwab ATM card that I plan to use (does anyone have issues with it in HK?) but I'm still trying to figure out if its easier to do it at certain locations.

Secondly, I'll be hotel hopping with family and was wondering if there was an easy way to store luggage assuming whichever hotel does not allow early storage. I will definitely contact the hotel for assurance, but just in case, I wouldn't mind having options.

I read the post about having laundry dropped off and being washed and was wondering if anyone had recommendations around the Kowloon side (I'll be staying roughly two nights on the island itself).

And so far that I can think of, are there any notable must-visit locations (cultural and culinary would be great) that anyone would suggest? Its not the first time I've visited, but its been over a decade and a half. For the random, I'm actually excited to go check out the Australian Dairy Company for some HK style breakfast, but I'm also looking forward to some great wonton noodles and congee. Also how is Man Wah at Mandarin Oriental for dinner (have a giftcard for the MO but I don't plan to stay a night there).

Oh and are there any etiquette errors I may make in HK as a person from California? I usually dress in a very casual manner so I presume that doesn't fly in some of the higher end, hotel restaurants but I think it would be alright in most places. I'm still deciphering the tipping situation, but for the most part, tips aren't really accepted is my judgement.

Hopefully I'm not too long winded, but I would appreciate some help. Thanks

Last edited by buggy51; Mar 4, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I like the title of your thread, less so the questions. So, I'll answer the title first:

Mistakes made before arrival:
1. Spent too much time worrying and debating about HK Island vs Kowloon.
2. Spent any time worrying about what to wear. NOBODY cares what tourists wear.
3. Spent too much time learning to speak Mandarin.

Mistakes made while in Hong Kong:
1. Sticking to the Airport Express and MTR only, and ignoring the other transportation means.
2. Tipping a taxi driver.
3. Tipping, or tipping too much, at restaurants.
4. Waiting for your check at a restaurant, or waiting for YOUR server. At most places, they serve as a committee.
5. Standing in the long line to ride the Peak Tram UP. Take a bus up and ride it down instead.
6. Responding to the South Asian whispering "Fake Watches?" in your ear on Nathan Rd.
7. Standing on the left side on a escalator and blocking all the impatient commuters behind you.
8. Riding 1st Class on the Star Ferry. I know some here disagree with me, but 2nd class really offers the superior experience.
9. Buying anything at the Ladies' Market or Temple Street Market.
10. Taking the MTR during rush hour. If you have to, and have to change trains, there are tricks that can make your experience much better. If needed, I can elaborate further.
11. Spending more and WAITING LONGER for the crystal cabins on the NP360.
12. Leaving things behind or left attended.

As for your other questions...
- Your ATM card should work at any bank ATMs at airport. Don't use Travelex's.
- Airport Express takes credit card.
- Most hotels would store luggage for their guests for a few days. No/little charge or with just a tip.
- Need your hotel name/location for recommendations for laundry. "Kowloon" is too broad.
- There are several "name-brand" shops for wonton noodles. I personally like Mak's - and usually eat at their original location on Stanley St in Central. But others okay too - including one on the Peak.

Last edited by rkkwan; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:35 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by rkkwan
4. Waiting for your check at a restaurant, or waiting for YOUR server. At most places, they serve as a committee.
I learned that the hard way. I try really hard not to be a high-maintenance diner for wait staffs. I know they work really hard, and I don't want to make their jobs more difficult.

So, in a casual HK restaurant, I waited for my check or someone from the wait staff to ask me if I was finished. I waited, and waited. I might have been there until closing time if I hadn't eventually asked a waiter for the check. I realized in retrospect that I was the one with the misunderstanding.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Ha, sorry about that. I figured the title would give a more glaring omission at what mistakes that I and others might make in HK. I just threw down those questions because that's what I was trying to figure out what to ask. I thank you very much for those points that you have made. Many of them I wouldn't have thought.

If the moderator would like, feel free to switch my original post with rkkwan's.

In response to a few of the statements, I'll be living near TST and the Jordan MTR stations for a few nights, two nights at Cosmopolitan near Causeway bay/Wan Chai and the final two in Royal Plaza. Going to Macao in between, so I didn't want to heft the luggage around (staying one night at Conrad Macao).

Another question that I have would be in regards to getting a sim card. I have an unlocked iphone and I'm hoping to purchase a sim card, just I have really no idea where. Some travel posts that I googled were not recent about purchasing items, and a few friends suggested China Mobile for instance as a brand, but not necessarily location.

Also, is the HK Ritz Carlton worth visiting the buffet to see the views? I don't plan to stay there at all, just merely glance out and take it in.

I wouldn't mind an elaboration about the MTR as well as we plan to take it to most places.

Sorry for all the babble, but I really appreciate the input
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

6. Responding to the South Asian whispering "Fake Watches?" in your ear on Nathan Rd.

Ah yes...because of that, I've been walking on parallel streets/alleys for years. That is, unless I'm craving some South Asian/West African dishes.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by buggy51
Also, is the HK Ritz Carlton worth visiting the buffet to see the views? I don't plan to stay there at all, just merely glance out and take it in.
Unfortunately for me, the pollution blew in from the mainland during my visit, so the views from the HK Ritz were mostly spoiled. They must be spectacular when the air is clear.

Still, I loved the hotel, and the breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever enjoyed. I looked forward to it each morning, and I'm not usually that into breakfast buffets. It's the very best of Western and Dim Sum breakfasts.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China Mobile has a store on the departure level of the Hong Kong airport. Go up the escalators or elevators after getting out of customs to find it. They sell local SIM cards and they are generally one of the cheaper ones.

As for MTR riding during rush hour, there are some things one can do when switching train lines. For example, going from Kowloon on the Tsuen Wan Line to eastern Hong Kong Island on the Island Line, one often needs to wait 2-3 trains in order to get on at Admiralty. Instead, one can ride to Central and switch there.

Reverse direction, same deal. Instead of switching to trains going towards Tsuen Wan, ride the Tsuen Wan Line but heading TOWARDS CENTRAL. Grab a seat when you can and then just stay on the train at Central and wait for it to go back north.

Or, switching from northbound Tsuen Wan Line to Kwun Tong Line. Instead of cross-platform switching at Mong Kok, get off at Yau Ma Tei and head down one level. You'll find Kwun Tong Line train with empty seats.

Also, just think outside the box for some trips. For example, you're staying at the Royal Plaza. Going to some parts of HK Island, it is fast and convenient to take the East Rail one stop to Hung Hom, then switch to one of the tunnel buses. Instead of fighting the crowd to get to Mong Kok station for the Tsuen Wan Line MTR.

Or, to/from the Cosmo, buses 5 and 10 are frequent and convenient. MTR is a long way from it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the RC, I'd suggest going up for a drink around sunset on a clear day. They have an informal bar with snack food on a high level. IIRC there's an outdoor deck too.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another "mistake":

13. Not pressing the CLOSE button in an elevator.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
14. Assume you have the table all to yourself at a local eatery and be shocked when strangers sit next to you without asking.
15. Assume people are rude standing next to your table waiting for you to leave.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by buggy51
Another question that I have would be in regards to getting a sim card. I have an unlocked iphone and I'm hoping to purchase a sim card, just I have really no idea where. Some travel posts that I googled were not recent about purchasing items, and a few friends suggested China Mobile for instance as a brand, but not necessarily location.
Just go to any 7-11 to buy a SIM card. 7-11 branches are everywhere (including the airport). They stock PAYG SIMs for all the main providers. If you don't speak Cantonese, it may be easier to visit a 7-11 in a more touristy area as they are more likely to speak better English. Or pop into any mobile phone carrier's store.

Be aware that when you drop your laundry off, it will be washed but NOT ironed (unless you pay extra for pressing).

MTR is easy to use and cheap. Just avoid rush hour if you can. Don't forget that buses are also fast and cheap in HK and you'll see much more of HK using the bus than you will the MTR. When you're staying in Causeway Bay, you also have the tram as an easy option for short journeys (just be aware that you pay for the tram when you GET OFF rather than get on). The tram stops constantly though so it's better for short journeys unless you fancy a few hours sightseeing along the Northern part of HK Island from the top deck.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gracall
14. Assume you have the table all to yourself at a local eatery and be shocked when strangers sit next to you without asking.
15. Assume people are rude standing next to your table waiting for you to leave.
14 is a good one, though 15 is less frequent these days.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm certainly no HK expert but I just returned from my fourth trip.

If you do pick up a local SIM, Google Maps makes it really easy to use the buses, which I often found to be faster than the MTR once you factor in walking to/from the station on either end.

I've had trouble with my Schwab ATM card in one or two places in HK, notably the ATM just before the Airport Express platform at HKG to the left of the ticket machine. IIRC that one doesn't actually take Visa cards.

I also found OpenRice and Foursquare great for finding good places to eat/drink when walking around. The former for local food, latter for Western. Foursquare led me to a great hidden bar in Wanchai that I've returned to on every HK trip since. The bartender recognizes me on sight at this point when I return every few months.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:37 am

More HK mistakes:

-Mentally miscalculating prices in HKD.
-Buying things or changing money in one of the rip-off operations in TST.
-Not getting out to a Countryside Park.
-Not realising that when Typhoon Signal 8 or above is hoisted, HK shuts down.
-Thinking Chinese New Year must be a great time to visit HK.
-Deciding it would be real convenient to stay out by the airport.
-Not pressing the CLOSE button again, even though someone else just pressed it.
-Renting a car because you always rent a car on trips.
-Not asking beforehand what that live seafood will run to.
-Thinking that everyone must speak English in a ex-British colony.
-Leaving HK with more than two cans of baby formula.
-Entering HK with a firearm or ammunition.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Great thread, fun responses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.