Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Frequently made mistakes when visiting HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequently made mistakes when visiting HK?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by rkkwan
This actually happened yesterday. A lady and I was waiting in line on Hennessy Rd for bus 968. This is a busy stop so lines are clearly marked on sidewalks where to queue. But off-peak, so just two of us waiting. A very empty bus came and a man who appeared to be South-Asian ignored us and tried to get on first. I shouted to him in English "Excuse me, there is a queue here". He protested "The bus is empty". I replied firmly, "I know the bus is empty but you still need to get in line".

So, don't try this in HK if you don't want to be shouted or cursed at.
Manner very poor (差)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Those who rush the train doors are mainly:

- kids that weren't taught manners by their parents
- visitors and new immigrants from you know where
- elders who have lost their patience with age

I am serious and not trying to be funny or sacarsctic.
Apologies in advance for another Shanghai reference in this HK thread, but I took Line 2 to a meeting this morning (something I rarely attempt, but there were no taxis or Ubers to be had), and observed with this thread in mind.

Etiquette or not, the idea of "getting on before people get off" would have been a pipe dream unless you were an NFL linebacker. If memory serves me correctly, things were different 15 years ago (i.e. full on two way battle). That having been said, during current times on the less crowded Line 10 (also Shanghai), it's not uncommon to see people (mostly 农民, I'm guessing) who don't abide by 先下后上. You see, even on Line 10, you're not going to score a seat at the first stop upon entry anyway. And, on Line 2, if you fail to make it onto train #1, train #2 is only 2.5 minutes behind it.

My experiences on the Island Line (HK) are similar to Line 2 in Shanghai for the most part, but for some reason, HK's clueless passenger ratio seems to trump Shanghai's by a significant margin. (This confuses me because we basically get the same set of tourists.)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by moondog
My experiences on the Island Line (HK) are similar to Line 2 in Shanghai for the most part, but for some reason, HK's clueless passenger ratio seems to trump Shanghai's by a significant margin. (This confuses me because we basically get the same set of tourists.)
It's a numbers game. When you get 5x as many mainlanders to "visit" HK as there are people in HK, this is what happens. Maybe we're getting all the peasants, and none of these reputedly civilized Shanghainese.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I cannot verify first hand now, but according to Google Map, there are two laundry shops right next to the Madera.
Nice, thanks. Laundry on the corner, 1-6 pounds wash/dry/fold for 39 HKD.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Biggest HK mistake - buying any electrical, photographic or technology items from any of the brightly lit, nameless shops on or around Nathan Road. You will get scammed and you will have little or no comeback.

If you want to purchase such items go to a reputable chain store like Broadway or Fortress.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveben53
Biggest HK mistake - buying any electrical, photographic or technology items from any of the brightly lit, nameless shops on or around Nathan Road. You will get scammed and you will have little or no comeback.
I bought a camera battery this week from one of those shops I needed it in a pinch and what the hell, it was only $25 or so and it did what I needed it to do.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by steveben53

If you want to purchase such items go to a reputable chain store like Broadway or Fortress.
I'd usually go to the Golden Centre in Sham Shui Po - not saying it's the best deal, but they have a lot of random older stuff - but sure, those chains work too.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I read upthread that it's a mistake to tip. Does this apply everywhere (also to upscale restaurants?)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I read upthread that it's a mistake to tip. Does this apply everywhere (also to upscale restaurants?)
You DO tip at restaurants where your bill is brought to you. But depends on level of service and your mood, tip may range from just the loose change to a few percent. But even at very high end place, I feel that 5% is probably more than enough. There is really no rule.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:28 am

You DO tip at restaurants where your bill is brought to you. But depends on level of service and your mood, tip may range from just the loose change to a few percent. But even at very high end place, I feel that 5% is probably more than enough. There is really no rule.
Good info, thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I think it also depends on whether it's a place at which you will be a regular customer, and also whether there's a 10% service charge already included in the bill. I wouldn't generally tip at a place which already had 10% added and where I wasn't intending to be a regular customer unless there had been some exceptional aspect to the service.

And any tip should always be in cash.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by christep
I think it also depends on whether it's a place at which you will be a regular customer, and also whether there's a 10% service charge already included in the bill. I wouldn't generally tip at a place which already had 10% added and where I wasn't intending to be a regular customer unless there had been some exceptional aspect to the service.

And any tip should always be in cash.
Useful as well, thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by 889
More HK mistakes:
-Thinking that everyone must speak English in a ex-British colony.
Opposite happened to me about fifteen years ago. Got lost somewhere and proceeded to seek the help of a cop. We spent ten minutes trying to communicate with each other in tortured Mandarin until we finally realized that we both spoke English...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Opposite happened to me about fifteen years ago. Got lost somewhere and proceeded to seek the help of a cop. We spent ten minutes trying to communicate with each other in tortured Mandarin until we finally realized that we both spoke English...
A lot has changed in those fifteen years, including the prevalence of English and Mandarin.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Forgetting about the realities of the weather there: It can be very hot and humid in the summer or very chilly and damp with raw wind in the winter (November through March) months. The heat and humidity can make it unpleasant to run around doing tourist stuff while cold periods in winter can be equally unpleasant, especially if you didn't bring winter clothing. Once I was in Hong Kong, IIRC in late November or December, during a particularly bad cold period when locals were being told to check on their elderly relatives and neighbors, and I made the mistake of only bringing a raincoat and a sweater; it was miserable, especially along the water, on the outside deck of the Victoria Ferry, and outside on the rooftop pool deck of the W attempting to admire the view, although on my last day there, I was able to swim in the heated pool so the cold stretch didn't last very long. You need to be prepared and realize that Hong Kong is not tropical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.