Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Fine Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Fine Dining

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I completely forgot to take pictures. I was just about within their dress policy and feeling terribly self conscious (not to mention being awkward with my chopsticks towards the end of the meal - my right hand hurts ). I thought it was lovely. I had a beautifully presented dish of baby suckling pork, for starters (four sets of two small pieces, each coverd with a square of pork crackling), a course of fish, and then wok fried Wagyu. It was all very tasty, and the wait staff and management all very accommodating.

That said, reading comments up the thread, I'm probably not qualified to tell FlyerTalk user JohnRain where and what to eat (and the same goes for a few of you here ).

Edit: Oh, and I thought this place friendly to the lone diner.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I ate at The Principal in Wan Chai the other night. Holds 2 Michelin stars.

Really very good. Had the degustation. First three courses weren't particularly flash but the menu built really well.

Highlights were abalone with pork stew and garlic and parsley crumb and the lamb with chimichurri and parsnip puree. Dessert pushed it right to the edge in terms of almost being too sweet - there were 2 dessert courses. Just skated on the edge of being too sweet but it wasn't. High risk dining but well worth it.

Not particularly expensive for a degustation actually (just under $HKD1200).

Probably the only issue was there wasn't much time between courses. I suppose when there's 9 you can't linger too long.

Definitely worth 1. Is it worth 2? I'm still debating that issue in my head.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Internaut
(not to mention being awkward with my chopsticks towards the end of the meal - my right hand hurts ).
While I'm pretty adept with chopsticks, I don't think there's anything wrong with a westerner using a fork instead of the sticks. You are there to enjoy the meal, not get a sore hand and I'm sure the restaurant would agree.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I ate at The Principal in Wan Chai the other night. Holds 2 Michelin stars.

Really very good. Had the degustation. First three courses weren't particularly flash but the menu built really well.

Highlights were abalone with pork stew and garlic and parsley crumb and the lamb with chimichurri and parsnip puree. Dessert pushed it right to the edge in terms of almost being too sweet - there were 2 dessert courses. Just skated on the edge of being too sweet but it wasn't. High risk dining but well worth it.

Not particularly expensive for a degustation actually (just under $HKD1200).

Probably the only issue was there wasn't much time between courses. I suppose when there's 9 you can't linger too long.

Definitely worth 1. Is it worth 2? I'm still debating that issue in my head.
Interesting feedback JClasstraveller, I'll try it on my next visit. Just under $HKD1200 is a fair price for a 9 course dinner at a 2 star place. On a side note, am I the only one that doesn't "get" abalone? I had some at Lung King Heen (tasting menu), but I'm totally indifferent about it. Some of the Abalone dishes were also crazy expensive (>$HKD4000)...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Interesting feedback JClasstraveller, I'll try it on my next visit. Just under $HKD1200 is a fair price for a 9 course dinner at a 2 star place. On a side note, am I the only one that doesn't "get" abalone? I had some at Lung King Heen (tasting menu), but I'm totally indifferent about it. Some of the Abalone dishes were also crazy expensive (>$HKD4000)...
No you're not the only one. Its a status food.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
I completely forgot to take pictures. I was just about within their dress policy and feeling terribly self conscious (not to mention being awkward with my chopsticks towards the end of the meal - my right hand hurts ). I thought it was lovely. I had a beautifully presented dish of baby suckling pork, for starters (four sets of two small pieces, each coverd with a square of pork crackling), a course of fish, and then wok fried Wagyu. It was all very tasty, and the wait staff and management all very accommodating.

That said, reading comments up the thread, I'm probably not qualified to tell FlyerTalk user JohnRain where and what to eat (and the same goes for a few of you here ).

Edit: Oh, and I thought this place friendly to the lone diner.
Thanks for the interesting feedback, Internaut, I'll put this place on my list. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to Cantonese food, quite the opposite in fact. I spent a nice evening at the IC as well but opted for Nobu (which was good), as I figured that eating Cantonese every night is a bit much.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:54 am

You don't have to eat abalone at Lung King Heen et al. Just go to Sai Kung and it's a lot more affordable.

It is a very difficult thing to cook and because of its delicate flavour, it's easy to overpower it and hence lose the point of it.

Pork fat works wonderfully and adds a nice saltiness to it.

Served simply with ginger shallot and soy also works.

I think Ming Court is underrated by Michelin inspectors. I'm a big fan (eaten there 4 times...).

I last went to Spoon 6.5 years ago but the beef cheeks I had there was revelatory and the chestnut bouillon with scampi - wow.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon owns the title of best dish I've ever eaten in HK. Langoustine (scampi) ravioli with truffle and foie gras sauce.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:54 am
Original Poster

You don't have to eat abalone at Lung King Heen et al. Just go to Sai Kung and it's a lot more affordable.

It is a very difficult thing to cook and because of its delicate flavour, it's easy to overpower it and hence lose the point of it.

Pork fat works wonderfully and adds a nice saltiness to it.

Served simply with ginger shallot and soy also works.

I think Ming Court is underrated by Michelin inspectors. I'm a big fan (eaten there 4 times...).

I last went to Spoon 6.5 years ago but the beef cheeks I had there was revelatory and the chestnut bouillon with scampi - wow.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon owns the title of best dish I've ever eaten in HK. Langoustine (scampi) ravioli with truffle and foie gras sauce.
Thanks for your suggestions, JClasstraveller. I didn't enjoy the abalone at Lung King Heen, not because it wasn't well prepared, it's just that I don't particularly like the texture of this thing. (I would never have ordered it if it wouldn't have been part of the tasting menu). Ming Court sounds good, added to my list. As for Ducasse & Robuchon, I prefer to eat there when I'm in Europe. I'm sure their HK places are good, but I'm eating french food most of the year anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by phol
No you're not the only one. Its a status food.
and when you can get lots of it in sai kung for pretty cheap, that is if you are not a gwailo....[ha...noticed another already beat me to this statement... ;-)]
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:22 am

Thanks for your suggestions, JClasstraveller. I didn't enjoy the abalone at Lung King Heen, not because it wasn't well prepared, it's just that I don't particularly like the texture of this thing. (I would never have ordered it if it wouldn't have been part of the tasting menu). Ming Court sounds good, added to my list. As for Ducasse & Robuchon, I prefer to eat there when I'm in Europe. I'm sure their HK places are good, but I'm eating french food most of the year anyway.
A good restaurant somewhere is a good restaurant anywhere in my view.

You're missing out if you don't go to those places.

French in Europe is tres traditionelle. French elsewhere in the world generally gives you a slight twist, either through a local ingredient or particularly local way of doing things. I think your way of thinking will leave you the lesser for it but YMMV.
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Robuchon or Ducasse has restaurants elsewhere, but Richard Ekkebus only had one restaurant, for example.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

French in Europe is tres traditionelle. French elsewhere in the world generally gives you a slight twist, either through a local ingredient or particularly local way of doing things. I think your way of thinking will leave you the lesser for it but YMMV.
I don't think he is saying that there aren't good French restaurants in Hong Kong, but that he wants to eat food that is created or inspired from the place he is visiting. It's food tourism. I know Pierre at the MO Hong Kong is an excellent example of French dining and it's a go-to spot for a top business lunch IMHO. But I rather like the backstreet noodle shops in Kowloon for my own pleasure. And I like tacos in Ensenada, brats in Dusseldorf, deep dish pizza in Chicago, yakitori in Tokyo, porcupine in Douala, pho in Saigon, pasta in Rome, and whatever they are cooking on the street in Bangkok. That's all part of the enjoyment of travel.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

I respect your point of view, but my personal experience has taught me otherwise. Just like I'd prefer to eat sushi in Japan than in Europe, I'd rather have french food in France than in Asia. (What's more, I never particularly cared for everything Ducasse does, he's become more of a businesman than a chef). L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon on the other hand is one of my favourite restaurants in Paris, that's why I'm not really motivated to try it elsewhere. I would only do that if I stayed in HK long enough to have first tried all the local spots I'm interested in.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't think he is saying that there aren't good French restaurants in Hong Kong, but that he wants to eat food that is created or inspired from the place he is visiting. It's food tourism. I know Pierre at the MO Hong Kong is an excellent example of French dining and it's a go-to spot for a top business lunch IMHO. But I rather like the backstreet noodle shops in Kowloon for my own pleasure. And I like tacos in Ensenada, brats in Dusseldorf, deep dish pizza in Chicago, yakitori in Tokyo, porcupine in Douala, pho in Saigon, pasta in Rome, and whatever they are cooking on the street in Bangkok. That's all part of the enjoyment of travel.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: FT

My thoughts exactly.
yes, but HKG has always been know for its continental cuisine in addition to its local cuisine. so when in HKG, that could mean, go for great expressions of french cuisine.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by stimpy
You mean pad Thai?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.