Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got ripped off by a taxi driver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I assume they detain the ones that are accused of overcharging on the spot.
With the amount of cellphones and radio equipped to their cars, the news spread pretty fast.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
On our trip to Hong Kong Station today we were asked by our driver if we'd consider going directly to airport too. Twice.
Where did you run off to this year?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hanoi. Again praising Saint Christopher for letting me redeem mixed Avios redemptions on KA (Y out J back, wondering what Grace is cooking up for dinner tonight). And just not to make this post OT the cabbie taking us to catch the KA297 yesterday morn didn't offer to take us all the way to HKIA.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
A group of us took 3 cabs up to the top of the peak, and there were plain-clothed police officers (showed us their ID and badges) waiting at the top of the Peak - asking all the non-Chinese looking customers how much they were charged by the taxis. The police officers explained that taxi drivers can lose their medallion if they overcharge or don't use the meter.
I've never seen that, but that's pretty awesome. Luckily we've never had problems with taxi fares when going up to the top of the Peak. I don't ever take taxis up from the bottom tram station, though.

Originally Posted by garykung
It may not be a bad idea, given that IMHO, Airport Express is an extreme rip off.
If you like taxi to the airport, then your choice. It's door to door, so I can understand how some might think it's convenient. Personally I don't like to be in a cab for more than 15min. One time I took a cab from TST to HKIA and the sun was shining down on my back the whole way and my back was drenched in sweat... not pleasant ahead of a 12-hr flight. If the driver's a heavy smoker, the cab reeks of cigarette. Some HK drivers are downright scary... this one dude kept swerving in and out of lane repeatedly; he kept dozing off behind the wheel and we told him to let us off, but he kept pointing to his eyes (?) and saying "okay, okay" and kept driving.

I don't think that AE is a rip-off at all. TST to airport by cab is ~$250. TST to Kowloon by taxi, followed by AE, is definitely cheaper for 2 adults and usually cheaper even for a family of 4. AE always seems to have different discount deals going on. Recently, it was $140 for 2 adults one-way from Kowloon, plus kids rode free! So it was <$200 total from TST to airport, including taxi to Kowloon Sta.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
...I don't think that AE is a rip-off at all. TST to airport by cab is ~$250. TST to Kowloon by taxi, followed by AE, is definitely cheaper for 2 adults and usually cheaper even for a family of 4. AE always seems to have different discount deals going on. Recently, it was $140 for 2 adults one-way from Kowloon, plus kids rode free! So it was <$200 total from TST to airport, including taxi to Kowloon Sta.
If you talk dicounts, I normally travel light (handcarry only) and I take the MTR to Tung Chung and a bus from there, total cost around 20 HK$. Takes 60-70 min from TST.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
If you talk dicounts, I normally travel light (handcarry only) and I take the MTR to Tung Chung and a bus from there, total cost around 20 HK$. Takes 60-70 min from TST.
Okay, that's hard to beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.