Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

I've been going through various threads but I haven't found what I was looking for, ie an up-to-date discussion of the various luxury hotel options.

I'll be going for 6 days in April and I'm currently considering the Mandarin Oriental, the Landmark, the Ritz-Carlton, the Four Seasons and the Peninsula.

Any insights would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:48 pm

There's another thread, Luxury Hotels which may better serve you. Type in HK to drill down. "Best" is relative term and some of your list are excellent options. My favorite is Mandrin Oriental and I would also add Upper House to that list for consideration.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
"best" is indeed a relative term.

One thing I would say about your list however is ding the Ritz on the basis it has the worst location of the lot you're looking at...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. The Luxury Hotels thread is indeed helpful, even if I didn't find a direct comparison of the above-mentioned hotels. The RC indeed seems to be polarizing, some people absolutely love it here on FT, others go as far as to say that it's not in the same league as the other top properties.
As I'll be in HK for 6 nights, I thought about spending 3 nights at the MO and 3 at the Pen. That way I get to experience views from both sides of the city.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JohnRain
As I'll be in HK for 6 nights, I thought about spending 3 nights at the MO and 3 at the Pen. That way I get to experience views from both sides of the city.
I'm dissing the RC on location alone - you'll waste a lot of time getting everywhere from there compared to the other places you list.

I would also struggle to see the sense in splitting the stay - I would say you're just wasting time and I can't see the point in that. Have a couple of meals from the other side of the harbour & you've ticked off the view bit.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'm dissing the RC on location alone - you'll waste a lot of time getting everywhere from there compared to the other places you list.

I would also struggle to see the sense in splitting the stay - I would say you're just wasting time and I can't see the point in that. Have a couple of meals from the other side of the harbour & you've ticked off the view bit.
Thanks for your input, Swiss Tony. May I ask you about your preferred hotel in HK? In other words, where would you stay?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It really depends on what you want from a luxury hotel. For example the IC (ex-Regent) has some pretty special suites such as their terrace spa suites (these have both indoor and outdoor jacuzzis with a view of the skyline) but they are not cheap and the rest of the hotel is a notch down. Making those particular suites better than the Peninsula (across the road) despite the somewhat lower service. But all of these hotels are stellar by world standards (would be the best hotel in most other cities) so you can't go wrong.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:05 am

If I get to pick between those hotels, I would definitely pick the Peninsula. I have never stayed at any of them and don't know which one would have the best suite or best service. But when I was growing up in Hong Kong about 40 years ago, I was told that the Peninsula was the best hotel in Hong Kong. My parents was told that the Peninsula was the best in Hong Kong when they were at their teens.

All the old TVB drama would have the rich people having lunch or meet at the Peninsula Hotel. It kind of drilled into my mind that is where the rich folks in Hong Kong are hanging out which is probably not the case now. It just have the history and I would love to stay there one day. I am sure MO or Four Seasons are amazing hotels there too, but I probably wouldn't feel any different than staying in any of their other hundreds of locations.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:20 am

Hotel Icon. Incredible. ^
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Hotel Icon. Incredible. ^
Another vote for the Icon, especially any of the Club suites with access to the Above and Beyond lounge. Service throughout the hotel was excellent.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The FS. In a heartbeat.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:25 am

I really like Hotel Icon too, great service & breakfast!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:02 am

I love the Peninsula. Love the ambiance, huge rooms (I've only stayed in the tower wing), view, service, everything. Love their pool, it's my favorite hotel pool in HK.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Peninsula, excellent location as well as large rooms (depending on which tier). Some of the best service you will receive as well.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I was put in Hotel Icon two weeks ago by CX for a misconnect. I definitely have a new favorite in Hong Kong now. In fact I've got a nice night booked for Valentine's couples weekend with dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.