Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My HK trip got cut short, so I would like to know which of the following would be the best luxury option for a tourist with only a one-night stay:
  • Langham Place, 555 Shanghai, Kowloon ($238)
  • Kowloon Shangri-La, 40 Mody Rd, Kowloon $286)
  • Langham Hong Kong, 8 Peking Rd, Kowloon($296)
  • Grand Hyatt, 1 Harbour Rd, HK

I am currently booked at the Hyatt with a suite upgrade , but more concerned about convenience as my time is now very limited and proximity to the convention center is not a benefit.

Unfortunately the Icon, Peninsula, RC, FS and Mandarin Oriental properties are bit beyond my price range

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 16, 2015 at 7:18 pm Reason: fix format
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:04 pm

Is that $286 at Kowloon Shangri-la a harbour-view room? If not, then you may want to spend an extra $40-50 or so and stay in their harborview room.

In any case, I'd go with Kowloon Shangrila. Langham Place is a fantastic hotel, but it's in an area that's very hectic and a bit more downmarket (although safe). The other Langham probably has the most convenient location, as it's in the middle of a lot of things including being right next to Harbour City. I've stayed at Langham Place, but not at Langham HK... nonetheless my guess is there's limited view from most rooms at Langham HK and plus it's hard to imagine it being a better hotel than Shangrila. Shangrila's location is not bad at all... it's only 6min walk from the lobby to TST station platform (I've timed myself) and you have a quick easy access to the harbourside promenade.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am currently booked at the Hyatt with a suite upgrade , but more concerned about convenience as my time is now very limited and proximity to the convention center is not a benefit.
One of my best friends lives there and the location has really grown on me over the years. Lockhart is always interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
As a local, I'd suggest Langham Place. It is in the middle of a "real Hong Kong" where working and middle class people go dine and shop. Not Canton Rd that's all mainlanders lining up for French and Italian luxury goods. And not at the Convention Centre that's away from everything.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
As a local, I'd suggest Langham Place. It is in the middle of a "real Hong Kong" where working and middle class people go dine and shop. Not Canton Rd that's all mainlanders lining up for French and Italian luxury goods. And not at the Convention Centre that's away from everything.
100% agree. Langham Place is my go to hotel in HK. Right above a subway stop and great gym and rooftop pool. Plus the hotel is in the center of bustling Mongkok, a true HK flavor. Their club floor is miles better than the Shangri-La's. The Shangri La is my least favorite of the above mentioned hotels, I'd avoid it. TST East is way less interesting than Mongkok unless you're into buying Milk Powder and bear gallbladders.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
100% agree. Langham Place is my go to hotel in HK. Right above a subway stop and great gym and rooftop pool. Plus the hotel is in the center of bustling Mongkok, a true HK flavor. Their club floor is miles better than the Shangri-La's. The Shangri La is my least favorite of the above mentioned hotels, I'd avoid it. TST East is way less interesting than Mongkok unless you're into buying Milk Powder and bear gallbladders.
I actually don't mind TST-East as much as Canton Rd.
Braniff likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by christep
Whilst strictly true, if your version of "things" involves nights out in the main party spots then the Conrad is perfectly positioned to be a few minutes walk both from Lan Kwai Fong (via HK Park, which I find very pleasant at night {open until 11pm}) and Wan Chai, and right on top of Admiralty MTR and adjacent to very many bus routes for reaching anywhere else.
we will just have to agree to disagree. i certainly don't consider my friends place on mcdonnell road to be central and a short walk to LKF and yes, i am sure it's not too far a walk from the conrad to the skuz down on jaffe....

i will hold to my views but IMO, staying in CWB (even though no "real" 5*), central or TST are better options that the location for the Conrad.

but each to their own.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The Shangri La is my least favorite of the above mentioned hotels, I'd avoid it. TST East is way less interesting than Mongkok unless you're into buying Milk Powder and bear gallbladders.
TST East itself is not a bad area, but you don't stay in Shangri-la to hang out in TST East. Think of it as a hotel that's right on the harbourfront, 5min away from the center of TST.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
What about The Upper House hotel?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I've been going through various threads but I haven't found what I was looking for, ie an up-to-date discussion of the various luxury hotel options.

I'll be going for 6 days in April and I'm currently considering the Mandarin Oriental, the Landmark, the Ritz-Carlton, the Four Seasons and the Peninsula.

Any insights would be much appreciated.
My opinion:

Ritz-Carlton - too far away from pretty much anything. April is also often cloudy and you may be left looking at little more than a grey window.

Peninsula - far away from most things you're likely to want to see, other than the HK skyline view. Right in the middle of mainland tourist shopping heaven/hell (depending how you look at it). Service is also not quite as polished as the very best hotels.

Four Season - i think it needs a refresh. Nice, but not as nice as the two Mandarin properties.

Landmark and MO are pretty similar in some ways. They are both excellent. Choose the Landmark if you prefer modern, choose the MO if you prefer classic.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by PushpithaWijesinghe
In terms of a luxury hotel in Hong Kong you should probably be looking at Cosmopoltan Hotel Hong Kong; gives you a range of options from fine dining to luxurious suites to pick from.
Are you kidding? I know it can be a steal if you grab a ctrip special there (500 HKD even during busy times), but it's far from luxurious.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Are you kidding? I know it can be a steal if you grab a ctrip special there (500 HKD even during busy times), but it's far from luxurious.
First time poster registered to post this. Truly pathetic.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
First time poster registered to post this. Truly pathetic.
I honestly have nothing against the Cosmo or Cosmopolitan. I just never associated either with "luxury".
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: FT
In terms of a luxury hotel in Hong Kong you should probably be looking at Cosmopoltan Hotel Hong Kong; gives you a range of options from fine dining to luxurious suites to pick from.
yes. can choose a room with an opaque window that overlooks cemetery.

welcome to FT, but this is spam.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
If you mean the Cosmopolitan at Happy Valley I think the OP is setting his sights somewhat higher than a 3 to 4 star hotel that is a considerable walk from the nearest MTR

When I travel I am on a budget and Cosmo and Cosmopolitan are high on the list. In fact I will be there this November and am paying an average of HK$800 per night. Hardly luxury prices, but par for what you get. At least you didn't suggest the ChungKing Deluxe Hotel !

If you are looking for a very comfortable hotel with good MTR access take a look at the Mira. I have no idea of prices

Last edited by steveben53; Apr 8, 2015 at 6:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.