Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
I've stayed at all but RC, more frequently in MO/Landmark for work. Pen do offer great access to touristy spots. Great idea to split between Pen and MO.

MO rooms are typically smaller and feel "aged", where as Landmark rooms are more modern and airy, so depending on your taste. Services are both excellent. Keep in mind things die down a lot earlier in Central, and streets are occupied by Filipino overseas workers on Sundays.

FS is not my favorite...still excellent by any standards, just not so great when compared to the others.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by gracall
I've stayed at all but RC, more frequently in MO/Landmark for work. Pen do offer great access to touristy spots. Great idea to split between Pen and MO.

MO rooms are typically smaller and feel "aged", where as Landmark rooms are more modern and airy, so depending on your taste. Services are both excellent. Keep in mind things die down a lot earlier in Central, and streets are occupied by Filipino overseas workers on Sundays.

FS is not my favorite...still excellent by any standards, just not so great when compared to the others.
Thanks for your feedback, gracall. I'll be staying at the MO and the FS now. My rationale is the following:

MO vs LMO: while I agree with you that the rooms look less fresh/modern at the MO, I feel that the much talked-about overall spirit/atmosphere of the MO should make up for it. Also, views are pretty important to me and this is a weak point of the LMO.

FS vs Pen: I'm sure that everybody should stay at the Pen at least once and I'm a fan of historic hotels in general, but from what I've read it is only worth it if you book a Harbour View Room / Suite on the higher floors of the tower. The room rates are high but acceptable, but the Suites come at a premium that I'm not ready to pay because in terms of other facilities, I prefer the FS due to their amazing outdoor pool area.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
For the same reason I've frequented MO more than others. If view is important to you, remember to specify a room with view with them. I've stay in just about every room category, view is relative limited when compared to others due to its location and the height of the building. FS will likely have great view in just about any room you choose.

Not that it matters now, but here's more on the Pen tower vs lower floors for future reference. Personally I much prefer the lower floored wings. Yes the views are grand on the towers, but they offer much less of that "old-school" charm. High ceilings on the lower floors make the room feels twice as big. Obviously view is the trade off.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by gracall
For the same reason I've frequented MO more than others. If view is important to you, remember to specify a room with view with them. I've stay in just about every room category, view is relative limited when compared to others due to its location and the height of the building. FS will likely have great view in just about any room you choose.

Not that it matters now, but here's more on the Pen tower vs lower floors for future reference. Personally I much prefer the lower floored wings. Yes the views are grand on the towers, but they offer much less of that "old-school" charm. High ceilings on the lower floors make the room feels twice as big. Obviously view is the trade off.
I've seemed to always have an upgrade on my last three times at the MO but now, you might have a view of a stupid faris wheel....yuk. I personally like both the MO and LMO. I can see how the pool at the FS could be something to consider.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton (top of ICC building) a few weeks ago. Kinda wild to have a hotel room on the 113th floor of a building.

It's a very nice property. One of the best gyms/pools you'll ever see in a hotel. Western/Chinese breakfast spread was outstanding.

It's a short walk from the hotel through a mall to the Kowloon train station, which has a subway line and a stop for the Airport Express.

Highly recommended.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just completed a three night stay at the Conrad and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The location is lovely (at Admiralty on HK Island), service was impeccable and if you get a harbor side room you can get amazing views. I'd love to go back.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Just completed a three night stay at the Conrad and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The location is lovely (at Admiralty on HK Island), service was impeccable and if you get a harbor side room you can get amazing views. I'd love to go back.
In the day, sure, ok location, but a little quiet at night and kind of out of the way personally. I just wish causeway bay had some true 5* properties.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkjr
In the day, sure, ok location, but a little quiet at night and kind of out of the way personally. I just wish causeway bay had some true 5* properties.
Well with how cheap and plentiful cabs are in Hong Kong, there's no trouble getting anywhere you want to go quickly. Plus, we were spending Wednesday night at Happy Valley anyway and it's very close to that.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:43 am

That's great. Conrad, JW, Island Shangrila... they're all good. Although I'm personally partial to the Shangrila brand, those three are kind of a toss-up. I too love Admiralty as a base (along with TST).
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Well with how cheap and plentiful cabs are in Hong Kong, there's no trouble getting anywhere you want to go quickly. Plus, we were spending Wednesday night at Happy Valley anyway and it's very close to that.
Cheap they are, but not exactly plentiful. Try catching one at the 4 PM shift change (must have learned that trick from NYC), at morning or evening rush hours, when it rains, at lunchtime, on Saturday afternoons, and pretty much most of the time...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Pickles
Cheap they are, but not exactly plentiful. Try catching one at the 4 PM shift change (must have learned that trick from NYC), at morning or evening rush hours, when it rains, at lunchtime, on Saturday afternoons, and pretty much most of the time...
What about using Uber in Hong Kong?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Hmm, guess I got lucky then. I must have taken a dozen while there and the only time I waited even close to 5 minutes was outside Happy Valley on Wednesday night.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by JohnRain
What about using Uber in Hong Kong?
It's available, and it works. The problem is that most of the rides people take are short haul (e.g. Central to Wanchai) so ordering an Uber and waiting and such takes longer than just giving up and taking the bus or the train.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:50 pm

Many people prefer to walk out of their hotels and be in the middle of things. So some should be aware that is not the case at night at the Conrad or Island Shangri La. It's just not.

And its close to happy valley, but not very close and on race days, taxis loop around Wong Nai Chung.

Now the CP causeway bay is very close. Sorry, but I'm just giving my opinion. Conrad may be nice bits location is so so.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by mkjr
Many people prefer to walk out of their hotels and be in the middle of things. So some should be aware that is not the case at night at the Conrad or Island Shangri La. It's just not.
Whilst strictly true, if your version of "things" involves nights out in the main party spots then the Conrad is perfectly positioned to be a few minutes walk both from Lan Kwai Fong (via HK Park, which I find very pleasant at night {open until 11pm}) and Wan Chai, and right on top of Admiralty MTR and adjacent to very many bus routes for reaching anywhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.