Search

$20 trick - acceptable in HK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: low and not enough
$20 trick - acceptable in HK?

Hi all,
My wife and I are visiting HK for our first time this coming fall. I have 2 nights booked on points in a standard superior room at the Intercontinental, but when we arrive, I'm hoping to snag at least a harbor view room.
Since I'm not sure of etiquette in Hong Kong (and I know it's not generally a "tipping" culture) I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using the $20 trick at this hotel specifically or in HK generally. Do you think it's worth a shot, or would it be considered rude?
FWIW (not much, I know!) I'm IHG Platinum but have no Ambassador status.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:07 am

I wouldn't do it. Ever heard of ICAC? It is not just for government but also for private companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen...28Hong_Kong%29
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: low and not enough
I had not. Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Maybe at some less-established properties, but definitely not the IC. It'd be the dumbest person to take your money, and such dumb person wouldn't have landed the job at IC to start with.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Try $20,000 USD and maybe you'll have some luck.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by snowfilmer
Hi all,
My wife and I are visiting HK for our first time this coming fall. I have 2 nights booked on points in a standard superior room at the Intercontinental, but when we arrive, I'm hoping to snag at least a harbor view room.
Since I'm not sure of etiquette in Hong Kong (and I know it's not generally a "tipping" culture) I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using the $20 trick at this hotel specifically or in HK generally. Do you think it's worth a shot, or would it be considered rude?
FWIW (not much, I know!) I'm IHG Platinum but have no Ambassador status.

Thanks!
Do you mean bribing them?

Who knows, it could cost them their jobs.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
To arrive at the HK Intercontinental staying on points and thinking of offering $20 to the check in staff would not be considered rude, rather it would be considered how classless and stupid the client is thinking that $20 (which is what clients there tip for 3-4 bags to the porter) would get an upgrade. Laughable even for thinking of something like this.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The average person that parks at the IC tips the valet $100.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no clue if the (US)$20 trick works or doesn't in HK -- but so far it doesn't sound like anyone who has already posted in this thread has any actual facts as to whether it would work or not, just personal feelings against it. It's not something I would ever do but the OP asked a reasonable question and is entitled to a reply supported by facts.

Would be very helpful if someone could cite a specific example in reasonable detail.

Incidentally, I think the above two posts are referring to HK$ when it seems clear to me that the OP was taking US$. Even then, I cannot imagine tipping a valet HK100 but I've never had a car while in HK.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have no clue if the (US)$20 trick works or doesn't in HK -- but so far it doesn't sound like anyone who has already posted in this thread has any actual facts as to whether it would work or not, just personal feelings against it. It's not something I would ever do but the OP asked a reasonable question and is entitled to a reply supported by facts.

Would be very helpful if someone could cite a specific example in reasonable detail.

Incidentally, I think the above two posts are referring to HK$ when it seems clear to me that the OP was taking US$. Even then, I cannot imagine tipping a valet HK100 but I've never had a car while in HK.
I had a chat with a taxi driver a few weeks ago about Chinese tourists, and he told me, that while he doesn't care for many of their habits, he's fond of their $500 tipping practice during busy times (apparently, holding a $500 note against your chest is the way this is carried out).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I think I tipped HK$50 for my complimentary valet park at my own wedding in 2012.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
ICAC: I Can Accept Cash? -Reviving an old HK acronym joke.-

But "business facilitation fee" at this level has disappeared in HK, they are saved for 7+ figure tansactions.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Maybe at some less-established properties, but definitely not the IC. It'd be the dumbest person to take your money, and such dumb person wouldn't have landed the job at IC to start with.
I would question the wisdom of staying at anyplace where this will work.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Anyone who has traveled to HK knows this is laughable if not also insulting.

I had a business associate who had a urging for Peking duck one night so my local country manager and I took him to a famous restaurant without a booking. The captain said the wait would be half an hour and my associate offered him a $50 tip for earlier seating.....you should have seen the look on the captain's face!

Then to continue his stupid behavior, after finally being seated, found out they were sold out of duck. So he paid a table next to us $100 for one roll of duck....I told the guests at the table in Mandarin that this stupid gweilo had tried to bribe for earlier seating and they laughed and took his money!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: FT
HKG is not america. heck, do people even tip in HKG more than 5-10%?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
It's not acceptable anywhere, let alone Asia. Do you seriously do this elsewhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.