Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Which Cell (mobile) phone plan is good for traveler to HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:33 pm
bao
Original Poster

Any unlimited data cell phone plan?

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:19 am

There are several threads here that answer your question: search "prepaid sim"
Plus over in technology thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...hong-kong.html
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:58 pm

I recently used a pccw tourist sim while my iPhone was getting repaired. They're available at 7-11. Gives you about 5-8 days of unlimited local calls, as well as 5gb of data (which is more than enough)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
CSL 1010 has its own shop in the arrival hall between Hall B and A
all options available for combined data / internet / talk
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
This question relates to PitaPan's post about using a PCCW tourist Sim. Those look like the best option but on their website it says that the 8 day pass is only available with Micro Sim while most new phones (I will have an Iphones 6 and Moto X 2) use a nano sim. It seems really odd to me that they dont sell the 8 day pass for people using Iphones. Has anyone been able to use the PCCW Tourist sim in an Iphone?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Tester22
This question relates to PitaPan's post about using a PCCW tourist Sim. Those look like the best option but on their website it says that the 8 day pass is only available with Micro Sim while most new phones (I will have an Iphones 6 and Moto X 2) use a nano sim. It seems really odd to me that they dont sell the 8 day pass for people using Iphones. Has anyone been able to use the PCCW Tourist sim in an Iphone?
The micro sim can be clipped to fit nano. Google and you will see the clipping device and process. Many places (maybe all?) can do it.

I do this for my ipad every trip. Twice, actually. Once for the short term sim I get in HK, and then again for the faster china mobile sim I get for Shenzhen.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:49 am

just get to a 7-11, and there will be plenty of options. When I got mine, they asked if I wanted the iPhone version or not, so you should be okay.

But yes, you can get micro sims cut at the carrier's shop
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PitaPan
I recently used a pccw tourist sim while my iPhone was getting repaired. They're available at 7-11. Gives you about 5-8 days of unlimited local calls, as well as 5gb of data (which is more than enough)
I bought one on Tuesday, and the data cap was only 1.5 gb, but that's also more than enough, given the bandwidth throttle (i.e. get a different SIM if you need faster speeds).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:26 pm

Only 1.5gb?? Was it the same sim?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:32 pm

Nevermind, just realised there are two options at different price points
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PitaPan
Only 1.5gb?? Was it the same sim?
I already threw away the literature, but "5 day tourist SIM" was the name of the product. The cost was around $70.

Peoples (China Mobile) is the SIM I usually buy for $58. It gets you unlimited data for the first 24 hours (also slow), and then you have to start paying, but I've never needed a recharge during my 2-5 day visits.

My business partner has a semi-permanent China Mobile SIM, and he pays $38/day (24 hours) for very fast unlimited data.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:57 pm

Ahh I see, seems like the 1.5gb is $68 and 5gb is $118. But as you said, I can't imagine using 5gb in 5 days under those speeds. Heck, I dont even reach my contracted 6gb limit every month.

The semi-permanent sounds like a good deal for short visits If the speeds aren't throttled.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
I just got back about a week ago. I picked up a prepaid from One2Free (which is run by CSL) simply because it was the first once I saw at the airport. I don't remember the original cost of the SIM, but unlimited data was $78 a week. Speeds are throttled heavily after 5 GBs but I never hit that. After 2 weeks I used less than 1.5 GBs using Google Maps, WhatsApp, Facebook, and casual web browsing. The speed was fine for all of that.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> One2Free (which is run by CSL) simply because it was the first once I saw at the airport. I don't remember the original cost of the SIM, but unlimited data was $78 a week

http://one2free.hkcsl.com/jsp/prepai...d_features.jsp

Used this on numerous visits in the last few years. 78HKD/week is not advertised but mentioned in the the enclosed literature.

Other prepaid cards on the website also have the same data option.

Last edited by beep88; Jan 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.