Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS to HKG -- better on CX or AC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

BOS to HKG -- better on CX or AC?

My wife and I are planning a trip from BOS to HKG, and are having a hard time picking between two flights. We have a new baby, and will be traveling economy. Our two options are:

CX direct (which is new!), leaving BOS at 1:30am and arriving HKG at 5:30am
AC with a stop in YYZ, leaving BOS at 6:30am, connecting in YYZ and arriving HKG at 1:15pm

I know that people generally really like the CX product, but we'll be in coach, so not sure if there's a big difference. Have also heard that AC has more comfortable seats.

We've never done such a long trip w/ the baby. We plan to reserve a bassinet seat for him and he's generally a good sleeper.

Pros of CX: Non-stop, maybe better service?
Cons of CX: Not sure what we'll do at 5:30am in HKG -- I don't think we'll be able to check in to our hotel. Will we be tired? Costs $800 more all-in (mostly because they charge more for infants)

Pros of AC: Maybe better seats? Not quite as awkward of an arrival time. Saves $800.
Cons of AC: Mainly connection, plus longer total travel time.

Any other things to consider? Anyone with experience?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: FT
in J, no brainer. CX. in Y, i think it is still CX for service and flight times and IFE and they probably wont sell the bassinet seat out from you. perhaps post on the CX board.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:42 pm
tsz

I know CX operates a 77W with a 3-3-3 configuration in Y for the BOS-HKG route.

AC has both 3-4-3 and 3-3-3-configured 777, but from their website it looks like they operate the 3-4-3 one on their YYZ-HKG route, might be a little more cramped?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sign up for a few aa and US credit cards so you can redeem cx in j. Otherwise shop on price. Cx y is not worth any premium apart from being nonstop.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Depending on your travel dates as it sounded like you are still in the early planning stages & not in the immediate future, have you considered a non-stop connection via JFK? It's crazy, IMO, to fly out at 1AM with a layover at YVR, especially in Y with an infant - assuming that both segments are on-time and it's not over the winter months
The savings could be quite substantial, as for next Jan/Feb. - I see CX's round-trip fare under $800 RT per pax (JFK-HKG) as this is a highly competitive route with capacity (excluding CNY) and especially with ongoing "Occupy Central"
Might want to call up one or two BOS Chinatown travel agencies to see what they can come up for you as a package (hotel ??) since overseas booking are soft lately, if you aren't loyal to brands. If you stick with BOS-HKG without routing via JFK and ended up airside after arrival at 6 am, you'll probably want to get some sleep after a shower - jetlag is another story, of course.
BTW, welcome to FT & if you have more details - plenty of expertise & advice here & checkout the HK forum as there are 101 FAQ already answered.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Depending on your travel dates as it sounded like you are still in the early planning stages & not in the immediate future, have you considered a non-stop connection via JFK? It's crazy, IMO, to fly out at 1AM with a layover at YVR, especially in Y with an infant - assuming that both segments are on-time and it's not over the winter months
If flying CX, why not take the nonstop flight from BOS? The double connection in JFK and YVR shouldn't be on the table at all in any case because, in addition to JFK, there are single connection options available via LAX, SFO, and ORD on CX alone.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:24 pm
tsz

Originally Posted by moondog
Sign up for a few aa and US credit cards so you can redeem cx in j. Otherwise shop on price. Cx y is not worth any premium apart from being nonstop.
It may be hard for them to get enough miles for three people in J in a short time, but I agree, long-haul Y products generally don't differ TOO much. The non-stop wouldn't be worth $800 for me, unless you have some other considerations.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by tsz
It may be hard for them to get enough miles for three people in J in a short time, but I agree, long-haul Y products generally don't differ TOO much. The non-stop wouldn't be worth $800 for me, unless you have some other considerations.
I think the nonstop will command a premium in terms of dollars for a while because it is one of a kind, but will be an easy redemption because people will steer away from the high prices and the 77W is a very big plane for a Boston-Asia route (JL and HU have a hard time filling 787s that are half the size).
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:36 pm
Suspended

CX, without a doubt.

When are your travel dates? They are having a black Friday sale right now. BOS-HKG and return for $828 all in.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the advice and suggestions. CX wound up dropping the fare $200/person, and we figured out that AC would charge for a premium seat to have access to the bassinet (they'd waive one charge, but not the second). So the fares worked out to be roughly equivalent and we booked CX. Will be nice to have a direct flight, and have never flown CX before. Will keep my eyes out for ways to earn enough miles to go in J next time!

Thanks, again!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:10 pm

Just flew CX on YVR-HKG in Y. 777-300 with 3-3-3, but different layout of cabins/bathrooms on outbound & return. On the outbound, it seemed like there was an awful lot of bulkhead rows with babies. I don't fly CX often... this was the first time in 3-4 years or probably more. But the coach meals this time were pretty meager. Still better than UA/DL/AC, but certainly inferior to NH, BR and SQ in quality and quantity. Everything was bland. And lavatories needed more upkeeping during the flight. CX's soft product overall is still better than AC... better service and snacks (inc cup noodles) available on demand throughout the flight.

Originally Posted by tsz
AC has both 3-4-3 and 3-3-3-configured 777, but from their website it looks like they operate the 3-4-3 one on their YYZ-HKG route, might be a little more cramped?
I've flown AC on YYZ-HKG a few times before moving out west. Last time I flew that was a couple years back, and they were flying A330 on that route. Nice 2-4-2 config in Y with power access on most seats. If they're doing 10 abreast now on 777, that'd be horrible for such a long flight. A330 with 2-4-2 was very comfy, even in Y.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
Just flew CX on YVR-HKG in Y. 777-300 with 3-3-3, but different layout of cabins/bathrooms on outbound & return. On the outbound, it seemed like there was an awful lot of bulkhead rows with babies. I don't fly CX often... this was the first time in 3-4 years or probably more. But the coach meals this time were pretty meager. Still better than UA/DL/AC, but certainly inferior to NH, BR and SQ in quality and quantity. Everything was bland. And lavatories needed more upkeeping during the flight. CX's soft product overall is still better than AC... better service and snacks (inc cup noodles) available on demand throughout the flight.

I've flown AC on YYZ-HKG a few times before moving out west. Last time I flew that was a couple years back, and they were flying A330 on that route. Nice 2-4-2 config in Y with power access on most seats. If they're doing 10 abreast now on 777, that'd be horrible for such a long flight. A330 with 2-4-2 was very comfy, even in Y.
A330 can never make YYZ-HKG. AC used to run A345 on that route, before getting rid of those planes and switching to either 77L or 77W.

I have flown AC's 77W with 3-4-3 on YVR-HKG and it was very unpleasant. My uncle just flew YYZ-HKG and it was on a 3-3-3 aircraft, which was okay.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
A330 can never make YYZ-HKG. AC used to run A345 on that route, before getting rid of those planes and switching to either 77L or 77W.
I stand corrected... getting Airbus models mixed up. Anyways, that 2-4-2 config was very nice.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Make sure you read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ree-years.html
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by bostonbean
CX direct (which is new!), leaving BOS at 1:30am and arriving HKG at 5:30am
AC with a stop in YYZ, leaving BOS at 6:30am, connecting in YYZ and arriving HKG at 1:15pm

Pros of CX: Non-stop, maybe better service?
Cons of CX: Not sure what we'll do at 5:30am in HKG -- I don't think we'll be able to check in to our hotel. Will we be tired? Costs $800 more all-in (mostly because they charge more for infants)

Pros of AC: Maybe better seats? Not quite as awkward of an arrival time. Saves $800.
Cons of AC: Mainly connection, plus longer total travel time.
I would pay $800 extra for CX direct for 3 people, unless I needed the Star Alliance miles.

On the CX flight, it will be evening BOS time when you arrive in HK. If you try to stay awake after boarding at 1am (you'll probably get some food), then sleep towards the end of the flight you won't be tired though you'll probably want an early bedtime on the first day.

Whereas with AC, you won't get much sleep if you need to get to BOS at 5am, and then you still won't sleep for the next 4-5 hours until you get on the long-haul, finally arriving in HK in the middle of the night BOS time.

I agree with the vibe in percysmith's linked thread that in Y, on CX you feel like the FAs are serving you; on AC you feel like you are serving them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.