Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Can you take the bus to Shenzhen without a visa arranged in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you take the bus to Shenzhen without a visa arranged in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by moondog

Imo Shenzhen bay is a lot easier than huanggang.
We're just planning on seeing the sights and doing some shopping on a day trip... wouldn't we need to go in the direction of Huanggang anyway?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by heraclitus
We're just planning on seeing the sights and doing some shopping on a day trip... wouldn't we need to go in the direction of Huanggang anyway?
What sights did you have in mind?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by sfosuw
Actually the most direct route from Tuen Mun to Lok Ma Chau is Green MiniBus 44B

You don't even need to go to Shenzhen Bay or Sheung Shui to reach Lok Ma Chau.
From Gold Coast, catch MTR bus K51 (Fu Tai direction), get off at "MTR Tuen Mun Station" which is the bus terminus right under V-city mall and look for Green MiniBus 44B.

K51: https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/K51.pdf
44B: http://www.16seats.net/eng/gmb/gn_44b.html
44B goes to the Huang/Yellow bus terminus. Not the Lok Ma Chau East Rail Station. For the train station, it's West Rail to Yuen Long then B1.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sfosuw
Green MiniBus 44B ... MTR bus K51
This brings up a question about Hong Kong buses in general that I have: I was there recently, and was using the Google Maps public transit feature to get around. It will tell you where to wait for and board a bus, and gives you the bus number.

I found out the hard way that it doesn't seem to differentiate between bus companies, or even minibuses and full-sized ones. So, if it says to wait at a particular stop for "Bus 21", that seems to mean to get on the first one with a 21 on the front, whether it be a mini-bus or regular bus.

Since Google Maps Transit also doesn't seem to tell you the bus company, I can only guess that the various bus and mini-bus operators coordinate their route numbering such that no two companies have the same route that stops at the same stop (or perhaps they are unique territory-wide).

Also, when I was at a bus stop and looking at one of the posted bus route and schedule guides, there was absolutely nothing on the posted sign, sign frame, or sign post to indicate to which bus company the information applied to. I looked for fine print, copyright notices, phone numbers, or anything else, and there was simply nothing on it that I could find that said which transit company it applied to.

Can someone shed light on the above?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
What sights did you have in mind?
Pretty basic first time SZ stuff...convenience is key given that we'll be travelling with a 2 year old. I'm thinking theme park, a museum, shopping at Luohu (just some fun trinket type shops, we're not really power shoppers), that sort of thing.

We were originally thinking of making it a day trip, but if it's not too much of a slog getting there and back, and if there's enough to draw us back, I could see us going back for a second day.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Steve M - Bus and green minibuses can definitely have overlapping numbers. You HAVE to know if you're taking a bus or minibus.

And green minibuses can have the same number on HK Island, Kowloon and New Territories, but usually the routes don't overlap, so generally not an issue.

As for buses, it is a but complicated among the 5 companies that run them. But the only overlapping numbers are those that don't cross the harbor. For example, Kowloon Motor Bus' #1 runs in Kowloon and Citybus' #1 runs on HK Island. The cross-harbor routes shared by KMB/Citybus or KMB/NWFB run the exact same routes, so not a problem either.

While it may be hard to find the info, it's not that confusing when you actually ride them. HK Government has a mobile app that lists routes of all, so do several 3rd party ones.

But at each bus stop, it's pretty clear which bus company runs that route. KMB's signs are red. Citybus mainly yellow, and New World First Bus Orange/Green. On the cross-harbor route run by 2 companies, on Kowloon side, those routes will be posted on KMB's red signs, and on HK Island, those will be posted on either Citybus or NWFB's signs. Each company also has its own style of route notices.

---

Edit: If you want further elaboration, please start a new thread about bus riding in HK. I take several buses a day in all areas of HK, due to nature of my work. In addition to MTR, green and red minibuses AND the tram. I can answer most transportation question for you guys.

Last edited by rkkwan; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Pretty basic first time SZ stuff...convenience is key given that we'll be travelling with a 2 year old. I'm thinking theme park, a museum, shopping at Luohu (just some fun trinket type shops, we're not really power shoppers), that sort of thing.

We were originally thinking of making it a day trip, but if it's not too much of a slog getting there and back, and if there's enough to draw us back, I could see us going back for a second day.
Honestly, with a 2-year old in tow, who doesn't care he/she visits China, I would NOT go to Shenzhen at all. And if I do, it's a taxi direct to either Shenzhen Bay or Lok Ma Chau Station.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Honestly, with a 2-year old in tow, who doesn't care he/she visits China, I would NOT go to Shenzhen at all. And if I do, it's a taxi direct to either Shenzhen Bay or Lok Ma Chau Station.
Changlong Zoo perhaps. Point to point trip by cheuffeur via Shenzhen Bay. I generally don't find walking around in Shenzhen "relaxing"...last time a scuffle happened when I was trying to cross the border.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

We've done city trips fairly regularly with the boy up until now and it has generally worked out, so we thought we'd do the Shenzhen day trip... I've been to China before for extended periods (but not SZ specifically) so I have a halfway decent idea of what I'm in for. I will definitely consider the taxi to Lok Ma Chau as a substitute for the bus, though.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I was assuming that the OP is Canadian, and VOA is available.
I've seen a reference to this in another thread, but haven't found any info.

Would love to hear more about this, as I may make another trip to HK in March.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've seen a reference to this in another thread, but haven't found any info.

Would love to hear more about this, as I may make another trip to HK in March.
See here:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Shenzhen

And, also Google "Shenzhen VOA"

Whatever you do, take care not to show up at checkpoint that isn't open for VOA on your travel date. Huanggang and Luohu appear to be your best bets.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks moondog,

quite useful.

Will look into this further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.