Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Do we still use traveler's check? Any better alternative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:55 am
bao
Original Poster

Hi,
My parent is planning to travel to Hong Kong. What are ways to bring money safely and not charged with a bunch of fees?

Thanks a lot!

Bao
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; SGP521 Build/23.0.1.A.0.167) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.59 Safari/537.36)

How much money you are getting over? Hong Kong is first world city and you can get cash out of atm conveniently if you need them in bulk, depends where you come from, you can easily exchange money in Hong Kong from usd gbp eur rmb or jpy
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bao
Hi,
My parent is planning to travel to Hong Kong. What are ways to bring money safely and not charged with a bunch of fees?

Thanks a lot!

Bao
Only old school people still use those things.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you don't want to use ATMs, there are plenty of places to change cash in HK at very close to the interbank rate (but not on Saturdays).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, traveler's check? The last time we deposited those was like 20 years ago (I am not kidding).

I feel HKG has ATMs at every 3rd street corner, in places line Nathan Road or Queen's Road... All one needs is a couple of ATM cards that can be used international. Serious, that is it.

Besides, money exchange services are abundant and rates are very competitive, better than Hang Seng for example. I disposed all my left overs of Korean Won and Taiwan Dollars at a street corner money exchange after comparing their rates (no fee) and Hang Seng's. (worse rates, hefty fee on small sum).
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Where are they coming from? US? Europe? Aus?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well just don't use Travelex's ATMs and conversion services inside the restricted area and use the HSBC ATMs in the Arrival Hall. That's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.