Search

Some HK question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Some HK question

Hi all, I will be visiting HK solo for almost a week before Christmas, and I have some questions I was hoping to get some help here.

1. I am staying at the IC on Salisbury road. Can I walk to the Star Ferry Pier and Harbor City on the Ave of Stars side of the hotel, or do I have to walk on Salisbury road?

2. Do the Sony, Lenovo, and Samsung stores in Harbor City sell computers, or only phones, tablets, and other small electronics?

3. Is there somewhere in the IFC that I can go to see the Kowloon skyline?

4. The Tim Ho Wan at IFC mall opens at 9am - is it better to wait in line for it to open or go at odd hours?

5. Is visiting Victoria Peak (from IC or central HK) something that will take up an entire afternoon? If not, how many hours should I allot for Victoria Peak if I want to capture a sunset and a night skyline?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Welcome to HKG!

1. Ave of Stars connects all the way through to the Star Ferry / Harbour City, so no worries there.

2. Not so sure, but I assume so.

3. You can get to the IFC roof garden by taking the elevator up. There are a few restos and such, with benches and places to sit. It's not exactly high in the sky, but it'll do the job. Restaurants facing the harbour will have decent views.

4. In my experience, its been hit or miss. As long as you avoid the main lunch / dinner rush, you shouldn't be waiting more than 15 mins.

5. Victoria Peak doesn't take much time at all, I'd say you'd only be spending about an hour 1.5 hrs tops while up there. Travel time from TST to the Peak should only take 45 mins-1 hour.

Hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For an interesting jouurney down from the peaks is to take bus 15, upper deck front row.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:58 am

Yes, adding to PitaPan's comments.

Originally Posted by PitaPan
Welcome to HKG!

1. Ave of Stars connects all the way through to the Star Ferry / Harbour City, so no worries there.

Yes, this is where the Bruce Lee and other stars statues are, on the walkway above the water.

2. Not so sure, but I assume so.

Yes, all. Computer, phone, tablet, etc. Usually computers are less popular these days.

3. You can get to the IFC roof garden by taking the elevator up. There are a few restos and such, with benches and places to sit. It's not exactly high in the sky, but it'll do the job. Restaurants facing the harbour will have decent views.

Yes, roof garden is the best. It's public seating too so you can bring your own lunch or drink to enjoy the view.

4. In my experience, its been hit or miss. As long as you avoid the main lunch / dinner rush, you shouldn't be waiting more than 15 mins.

Yes, go at an off time. Probably before 1130am on a workday or after 215pm. Evening there isn't a huge line.

5. Victoria Peak doesn't take much time at all, I'd say you'd only be spending about an hour 1.5 hrs tops while up there. Travel time from TST to the Peak should only take 45 mins-1 hour.

Agreed, Peak is a short visit. You'll probably just be spending time waiting for the sunset. Occasionally the tram will have huge lines, but I think that's more during the day time when the tours are out. Evening the tram line is long heading down. You can always minibus, citybus, or taxi down too.

Hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE
go to the hk monetary authority museum for a good view of kowloon it is free
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
I really enjoyed doing the Victoria Peak Circle Walk. Depending on how fast you walk, it could take a little time.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you all for the information. I have a few more questions.

1. From Star Ferry Central side to the IFC - it is walkable, correct? The two places look very close, but I just want to confirm.

2. From IFC to the Peak Tram location, the Peak Tram website says to take Mini Bus 1 from "Central(Two IFC) to The Peak". Where is this? Should I just call a cab since it's not a very far ride?

3. I plan to spend a few hours of the afternoon at Victoria Peak, and photograph the skyline at sunset and when it gets dark. Is there a good place to do dinner solo at the Peak, or should I return to Central/TST for food?

4. Speaking of returning from Victoria Peak... What's the quickest way down?

I am in HK for almost 4 days, and I feel like there isn't a ton to do. I am very familiar with big Chinese cities and have visited many of them, that and living ~10 years in NY, HK just doesn't seem to fascinate me as much as if I were a small town person.

Anyway, here is my 4 day itinerary, is this too little to fill up my day with?

Day 1, Friday
Arrive at HKG at 8PM, cab to IC
Where to find dinner?
Wander around Ave of Stars/photography time
Day 2, Saturday
Chungking mansion for breakfast
Wander around Nathan road aimlessly
Wander around Ave of Stars/photography time
Lunch at Yan Toh Heen (at IC)
Afternoon shopping at Harbor City (I have quite a bit to buy!)
Dinner somewhere at Harbor City
Wander around North Statue Square for Christmas display/photography time
Day 3, Sunday
No idea what to do for this day, taking recommendations
Maybe I'll do the champagne brunch at IC and see where my drunken self takes me?
Temple street markets at night
Day 4, Monday
Ferry to Central
Brunch at Tim Ho Wan
Wander aimlessly at IFC mall/photography time
Bus/tram to Victoria Peak
Exploring Victoria Peak
Sky Terrace 428 at sunset +/- 20 mins
Where to get dinner?
Recoup at IC
Symphony of Lights
Day 5, Tuesday
No idea what to do on this day, taking recommendations
Flight departs HK at 6PM (CX J, int'l) when should I leave for the airport if I want to explore the lounges/shops?

Comments and critiques much appreciated!

Last edited by TOMFORD; Nov 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:21 pm

1. Yes, completely walkable. There are elevated bridges and walkways that will take you directly to IFC Mall in a few minutes (which is what most people do).

2. I've always taxi'd from another location, so not sure.

3. Depending on budget, The Pearl has a great view with good food. If its a more quick and easy option you prefer, there are a few restaurants there that you could go for.

4. Getting down can be difficult sometimes depending on the amount of people. I've always just taken a taxi back to central. Bus lines can get quite long, though, again, it depends on the day.

Itinerary looks pretty good! What sort of things would you be interested in on your more empty days?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:23 pm

Sorry, I just checked and it seems The Pearl has closed! In any case, there are numerous restaurants to choose from.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
First, Minibus #1 goes from IFC to The Peak - i.e. up on the hill, upper Peak Tram terminal. NOT lower Peak Tram terminal near Central.

And currently, I do not recommend taking either Bus #15 or Minibus #1 to the Peak if time is tight. Traffic out of Central can be bad for buses and minibus.

Instead, the preferred way is to just WALK from IFC to the lower Peak Tram terminal. Through the HSBC building, up escalators to Cheung Kong Centre, than along Garden Road past the St John's Cathedral, cross Garden Rd and you're there.

Coming down, I am not kidding you, but if the line for the Peak Tram is super long, a fast way to Central is by walking down Old Peak Rd (right next to upper Peak Tram terminal), Albany Rd and Gleanely. 25 minutes and you're in Central. Faster than the 15 bus with the uncertain traffic. Minibus #1 is still faster coming down.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:09 pm

There are many things to do in HK. The is the Big Buddha to visit. There are fishing villages. There is the Temple street night market and food street to explore. There is Stanley Park. About shopping in hk for electronics. I personally don't find HK so cheap for computers or phones. Cheaper to buy them in your own country perhaps depending on where you live. HK is expensive. You could visit Lamma Island too.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Electronics can still be cheaper than Australia and Europe. But not the US or Canada. For comparison, if in stock, unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 is:

$749 in US
C$859 in Canada (US$761)
HK$6388 in HK (US$823)
A$999 in Australia (US$871)
£619 in UK (US$969)
€799 in Germany (US$997)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PitaPan
1. Yes, completely walkable. There are elevated bridges and walkways that will take you directly to IFC Mall in a few minutes (which is what most people do).

2. I've always taxi'd from another location, so not sure.

3. Depending on budget, The Pearl has a great view with good food. If its a more quick and easy option you prefer, there are a few restaurants there that you could go for.

4. Getting down can be difficult sometimes depending on the amount of people. I've always just taken a taxi back to central. Bus lines can get quite long, though, again, it depends on the day.

Itinerary looks pretty good! What sort of things would you be interested in on your more empty days?
I prefer less big city stuff. I guess HK isn't the top place to visit if I'm looking for the rural scene.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
First, Minibus #1 goes from IFC to The Peak - i.e. up on the hill, upper Peak Tram terminal. NOT lower Peak Tram terminal near Central.

And currently, I do not recommend taking either Bus #15 or Minibus #1 to the Peak if time is tight. Traffic out of Central can be bad for buses and minibus.

Instead, the preferred way is to just WALK from IFC to the lower Peak Tram terminal. Through the HSBC building, up escalators to Cheung Kong Centre, than along Garden Road past the St John's Cathedral, cross Garden Rd and you're there.

Coming down, I am not kidding you, but if the line for the Peak Tram is super long, a fast way to Central is by walking down Old Peak Rd (right next to upper Peak Tram terminal), Albany Rd and Gleanely. 25 minutes and you're in Central. Faster than the 15 bus with the uncertain traffic. Minibus #1 is still faster coming down.
I will call a cab on the way down! I don't want to walk too much

Originally Posted by sxytxn
There are many things to do in HK. The is the Big Buddha to visit. There are fishing villages. There is the Temple street night market and food street to explore. There is Stanley Park. About shopping in hk for electronics. I personally don't find HK so cheap for computers or phones. Cheaper to buy them in your own country perhaps depending on where you live. HK is expensive. You could visit Lamma Island too.
I will check out Big Buddha and fishing villages. Any specific village you'd recommend that I can make a full day trip out of?

I am doing shopping for work, and must be done in HK. Not my money, not my problem ^
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:27 am

Highly recommend Tai O fishing village. It's also accessible by bus from Tung Chung station, so you could do that and Big Buddha in a day.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by agp423
I prefer less big city stuff. I guess HK isn't the top place to visit if I'm looking for the rural scene.
Hong Kong and only Hong Kong is the place if you are looking for the rural scene close to a city. But you better be fit for some hills. 70% of HK is country parks. 300+ km of hiking trails. Want to experience wild boars at 2 feet distance, I can show you.

Originally Posted by agp423
I will call a cab on the way down! I don't want to walk too much
Ok if you want rural disneyland without walking, sorry that is not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.