Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contact lenses in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Contact lenses in HKG

Sorry for the oddball question, but I got myself in a bit of a bind - I have already left home (Canada) and will be needing to get some contact lenses during my trip, any suggestions as to which would be easier/cheaper to get them - on my 1 day layover in SFO or in HKG itself? Or in SIN for that matter? I'll be headed there next.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
If u know what u need exactly it would then be easy. Where r u staying? There ought to be a mall nearby that sells spectacles n they would hv contacts.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
if you have a Costco pass, there are two near SFO (airport blvd is just north of long term parking - almost walking distance), and depending on your prescription - may be in stock. do call to see if its in stock. Costco is the lowest price.

you will need a prescription from a doctor. hopefully they will accept a non-US one.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBob
if you have a Costco pass, there are two near SFO (airport blvd is just north of long term parking - almost walking distance), and depending on your prescription - may be in stock. do call to see if its in stock. Costco is the lowest price.

you will need a prescription from a doctor. hopefully they will accept a non-US one.
If you don't have a prescription (or they won't take a Canadian one), the Costcos with optical centers also have optometrists on staff. (The Airport Blvd. one does have an Optical Center, I just checked.) The direct line for the Optical Center is 650-872-2021.

Also, if you can't use Costco, my regular optometrist is a short cab ride from SFO, and I believe he is open late on Wed. He's a good guy, and may be able to help you. Feel free to PM me for his info.

Last edited by fwoomp; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys - I do have a Costco card and a Canadian prescription (not that I expect anywhere to take that - here in Canada only Canadian ones are accepted), I may just give them a call. Unfortunately I won't be there until Sunday which may hamper my efforts (although I may have time Monday morning before my flight).

Alternately as it seems relatively easy in HKG, I may just wait until I'm there. I'm sty
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys - I do have a Costco card and a Canadian prescription (not that I expect anywhere to take that - here in Canada only Canadian ones are accepted), I may just give them a call. Unfortunately I won't be there until Sunday which may hamper my efforts (although I may have time Monday morning before my flight).

Alternately as it seems relatively easy in HKG, I may just wait until I'm there. I'm staying in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, so I think there should be options in the area.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have never once been asked to provide a scrip when buying contacts in China (including HK). Since I don't have an astigmatism and can wear a variety of brands, this drill is something I never think twice about (requires an average of two minutes).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Stores that sell contact lenses in HK will have a licensed person to order the lenses anyways. Eye exam is "free", so they just do less if you bring a prescription. Not that they'll give you a discount.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

Alternately as it seems relatively easy in HKG, I may just wait until I'm there. I'm sty
If your contact lens prescription is normally filled at the Costco at home, you may be able to get the Costco near SFO to get you some contacts with just a phone call to your "home store" to verify the prescription.

Worked for me when I visited Hawaii a couple of years ago --- but then there's the Canada thing that might mess it up.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

The Canada thing always messes things up.

From the looks of it I'll just buy them in HKG. I know exactly what I want - although I do have a slight astigmatism, I manage just fine with a couple brand of dailies while travelling. I even have a couple pairs so I will have the "lids" for the optician to get the info from.

It's not the end of the world even if it doesn't work out - I have my glasses - I just tend to stick with contacts for holidays.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.hk/2...g-kong_11.html
Armand Optical
very quick
good price
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Sorry for the oddball question, but I got myself in a bit of a bind - I have already left home (Canada) and will be needing to get some contact lenses during my trip, any suggestions as to which would be easier/cheaper to get them - on my 1 day layover in SFO or in HKG itself? Or in SIN for that matter? I'll be headed there next.

Thanks in advance!
SF will require a prescription and i'm guessing you don't have it on hand.

I've bought contacts in singapore and hong kong without an rx. I think they were kidna pricey in singpapore, tho i just got a box at some random mall optometrist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.