Local (cheap) breakfast place near IC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Local (cheap) breakfast place near IC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Asian food preferred, the cheaper the better.
Soy sauce king noodles and rice noodle rolls from street carts! I used to eat them every morning while waiting for the bus to school. $1 HK worth of noodles would stuff me up pretty good.. but then I was 12.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Need
Soy sauce king noodles and rice noodle rolls from street carts! I used to eat them every morning while waiting for the bus to school. $1 HK worth of noodles would stuff me up pretty good.. but then I was 12.
I am very sure that your appetite and the cost of street food in HK have grown quite a bit. School bus waiting area seems to be around the breakfast vendors (or the other way around?).

I am not familiar with TST near IC, but you can't get more authentic HK breakfast than soy sauce king noodles豉油皇炒麵, rice noodle rolls腸粉, Chinese fritter油炸鬼 and plain rice congee白粥.

agp423: If you are game you can print out the Chinese characters and ask hotel staff where to eat these nearby.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by tentseller
I am not familiar with TST near IC, but you can't get more authentic HK breakfast than soy sauce king noodles豉油皇炒麵, rice noodle rolls腸粉, Chinese fritter油炸鬼 and plain rice congee白粥.
I stayed at the HR late last year and had some trouble finding congee in the area. There are plenty of noodle houses and some cha chaan teng (albeit chains a bit more modern/nicer) in the area between Nathan Road and TST East but there seemed to be a lack of congee places. I've heard from locals that it is hard to make money off of congee, especially in a place like TST where rents are high and there is a concentration of tourists who may not be looking for food like that.

Last edited by kevincrumbs; Oct 15, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reason: Time frame context
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I stayed at the HR late last year and had some trouble finding congee in the area. There are plenty of noodle houses and some cha chaan teng (albeit chains a bit more modern/nicer) in the area between Nathan Road and TST East but there seemed to be a lack of congee places. I've heard from locals that it is hard to make money off of congee, especially in a place like TST where rents are high and there is a concentration of tourists who may not be looking for food like that.
I always go to this place which is just off Carnarvon Road. Always good and cheap. There are lots of other places down the same road.

http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...id=5480&tc=sr1
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't care much for congee, but I love dim sum and noodles. And I do read Chinese, I just can't speak Cantonese. I can speak Mandarin and English though. From what everyone is saying there seem to be plenty of small places as well as cheaper chain restaurants I can hunt down while I'm there.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:49 pm

Joining discussion late here, but our go-to places for cheap cha chaan teng in TST are:

Relax for a While (Kimberley Rd just below Knutsford Terrace)
http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...tm?shopid=9859

Tsui Wah - my favorite chain place; closest one is on Carnarvon Rd.

Relax for a While has bad ratings, but it's one of my personal favorite. And you can't go wrong with Tsui Wah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.