Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Check-in 20hrs ahead for Vietnam Airlines at HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in 20hrs ahead for Vietnam Airlines at HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Question Check-in 20hrs ahead for Vietnam Airlines at HKG?

Looking for suggestions on a checked baggage strategy.

We arrive at HKG on a Saturday night at 7:30pm on Delta. Our next leg is Sunday afternoon at 3:30pm on Vietnam Airlines. Once we clear customs, will we be able to check in into Vietnam Airlines and drop off our checked luggage? I can't seem to find any info around if the Vietnam Airlines counter will accept luggage that early, though the HKG website seems to indicate the check in is available 24x7.

We're hoping to grab a few things from our check luggage and then only head into town with our carry-on to poke around a bit.

The backup plan appears to be lugging our gear to Hong Kong station and then immediately dropping our checked luggage at the In Town Check-In.

TIA.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jay71

We arrive at HKG on a Saturday night at 7:30pm on Delta. Our next leg is Sunday afternoon at 3:30pm on Vietnam Airlines. Once we clear customs, will we be able to check in into Vietnam Airlines and drop off our checked luggage? I can't seem to find any info around if the Vietnam Airlines counter will accept luggage that early, though the HKG website seems to indicate the check in is available 24x7.

We're hoping to grab a few things from our check luggage and then only head into town with our carry-on to poke around a bit.

The backup plan appears to be lugging our gear to Hong Kong station and then immediately dropping our checked luggage at the In Town Check-In.

TIA.
Try your best to get DL to interline your bags for you.

If that doesn't pan out, I like your "back up" plan a lot more than the idea of trying to pull it off in the terminal because it entails less walking and is nearly certain to work.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
VN only has two flights a day, both in the afternoon. Definitely no VN counter to do check-in the evening before. They also DO NOT provide DAY-PRIOR in-town checkin at Kowloon or Hong Kong Airport Express stations.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
VN only has two flights a day, both in the afternoon. Definitely no VN counter to do check-in the evening before. They also DO NOT provide DAY-PRIOR in-town checkin at Kowloon or Hong Kong Airport Express stations.
They're on the 24 hour list, no?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
They're on the 24 hour list, no?
They are on SAME DAY list. There's no such thing as "24-hour list". Either same-day only or day-before.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...m_checkin.html
http://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf

Red ones offer day-before check-in. VN is black.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....arate-tickets/
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:12 am

Wow. That's a pretty obnoxious policy.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the excellent info. Looks like we may be hooped but I'm reading conflicting info around how early we can check in using the In Town check in. Going to email VN's HK branch.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appreciate all the excellent info. Looks like we may be hooped but I'm reading conflicting info around how early we can check in using the In Town check in. Going to email VN's HK branch.
Pretty clear to me the earliest you can do in-town check in is when the counter opens around 6am on the day of your flight. Who's telling you otherwise?

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 2, 2014 at 7:38 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As someone who has done DL HKG arrival and then VN to SGN , my bags were interlined to SGN at YYZ DL check in. I took what I needed that night in carry on.
The key is that the connection is the next available flight in the same "alliance". Most likely same ticket.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:47 am

TIA.
in terminal 2 there is a baggage storage concession that charges a daily rate of approx UD$18 have left bags there in the past, very convenient if you dont want to lug your checked bags around
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Pretty clear to me the earliest you can do in-town check in is when the counter opens around 6am on the day of your flight. Who's telling you otherwise?
There was another website we pulled up that something somewhat conflicting. I can't remember which one.

Originally Posted by tentseller
As someone who has done DL HKG arrival and then VN to SGN , my bags were interlined to SGN at YYZ DL check in. I took what I needed that night in carry on.
The key is that the connection is the next available flight in the same "alliance". Most likely same ticket.
Unfortunately, it sounds like DL is not interlining and the flights aren't on the same ticket.

Originally Posted by moyeung
in terminal 2 there is a baggage storage concession that charges a daily rate of approx UD$18 have left bags there in the past, very convenient if you dont want to lug your checked bags around
Yep, we thought about this too. I've used left luggage at HKG before and I don't have any problems with it. It's just a decision if we want to spend the dollars and the logistics of the where it is, dropping off, picking up for departure, etc.

--

VN's HK office replied recommending either doing in town check-in when it/their (?) counter opens at 6:00am or at the airport at noon when their counter opens there.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Wow. That's a pretty obnoxious policy.
To say the least! DL won't even interline bags onto Skyteam airlines? Unreal. That is just unbelievable.

Even Dougie Air will still interline bags on separate tickets if you're connecting to a oneworld operated flight.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have check all my DL Asia connections to VN MU CI and CZ since middles of 2012, IME all 10 connections DL was able to interline my checked bags onto those 4 Skyteam airlines even on separate tickets.

YMMV

Marco Polo: What has your DL interlining actual experience been like?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok, well, I've called up Delta and asked about interlining the luggage with VN. The friendly rep said it was doable. I just have to present copies of both my DL and VN tickets/itinerary at check-in in Vancouver. It'll be a bonus if it works. I'm curious what the heck they'll do with the luggage for 19hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.