Beware Occupy Movement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Occupy Movement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by CX HK
This is one of the most peaceful protests ever. Name me one other city where a protest like this, with high tensions and emotions, with 50k+ people, where there is NO looting, NO cars being burned, and NO one getting killed.

HK citizens are angry but we are still role models of protest. These are not the London riots. This is not Ferguson. This is HK.
Bangkok.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Bangkok.
Wrong. Want to try again?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26224510
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: FT
Bangkok.
?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: none
HKG Banks

Banks in HKG
On Monday they were closed.
Anyone know if they will open
Tues. or maybe Wed?
dbase
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TEX277
No. The Bangkok protests went for many months, and there was no violence, looting or deaths for the vast majority of that time. It was perfectly safe for tourists to be walking just one street away.

The current Hong kong protests are short by comparison, and while I strongly hope there are no deaths, it is not unreasonable to think if this action was to continue for months on end there could be something more serious.

Peaceful people power actions are not unique to Hong Kong.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dbaseworking
Banks in HKG
On Monday they were closed.
Anyone know if they will open
Tues. or maybe Wed?
dbase
They are closed for sure on Oct 1, Public Holiday.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:03 am

Only branches of banks closed to the demonstration areas remain closed. Other branches remain opened!

Bank will be closed on this coming Wednesday (10/1) and Thursday(10/2), due to National Day holiday and local holiday.

Carfield
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
RTHK News
Force used by police 'deplorable' http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/englishnews...929&56&1041244 29-09-2014
Taiwan's president backs HK protesters
Ma Ying-jeou. Reuters file photo.
The President of Taiwan, Ma Ying-jeou, said on Monday that he fully backed calls by pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong for free elections.
He said he was "very concerned" by events in the territory and said the mainland should proceed with "peaceful and cautious measures".
Mr Ma also told business leaders in Taipei that he has urged mainland authorities to listen to the voice of Hong Kong people

The Hong Kong Bar Association on Monday condemned and deplored what it called the excessive and disproportionate use of force by the police on pro-democracy protesters who had gathering in Admiralty on Sunday and Monday morning.
It said there was "plainly" no justification to use tear gas against the peaceful demonstrators.
The Association also said the escalation in the use of force by the police had unnecessarily aggravated public feelings of resentment and frustration. Mongkok road intersection blocked Protesters at the blocked road intersection. Photos: Wendy Wong. More than 1,000 people have taken over the road intersection at Nathan Road and Argyle Street in Mongkok, blocking all road lanes.
A group of police officers in plain clothes arrived and appealed to protestors to release one lane on both roads for emergency purposes.
The demonstrators are protesting against Beijing's decision not to grant Hong Kong "genuine" democracy
Thousands continue to swell protests
A massive crowd at Tamar. Photo: Reuters
More and more people are flocking to join the civil disobedience protests in Admiralty, Causeway Bay and Mong Kok, in support of genuine democracy and universal suffrage.
Riot police were withdrawn this afternoon and the mood at all three sites remains relaxed.
Because of the massive crowd at Tamar, organisers appealed to people to instead head towards Beijing's liaison office in Western or join the growing protest in Causeway Bay.
A large crowd of people continues to block Nathan Road in Mong Kok, with an appeal by the police for one lane to be cleared falling on deaf ears.
In Causeway Bay, the Federation of Students called on protesters to stay as long as they could, unless the police start using force once again
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:48 am

While I don't necessarily agree with starting a White House petition, over 186,000 people have signed (myself included). By the end of this petition on October 4th, there should be a quarter million signatures. The WH will have to have a response.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-kong/dfdCpQZz
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:59 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
^
Originally Posted by CX HK
This is one of the most peaceful protests ever. Name me one other city where a protest like this, with high tensions and emotions, with 50k+ people, where there is NO looting, NO cars being burned, and NO one getting killed.

HK citizens are angry but we are still role models of protest. These are not the London riots. This is not Ferguson. This is HK.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:12 am

No. The Bangkok protests went for many months, and there was no violence, looting or deaths for the vast majority of that time.
Hmm but there were deaths. I don't recall there being a time restriction to the question posed. "There were no deaths until there were deaths" seems just a little BS to me.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by percysmith
As is, tourism shouldn't be too disrupted.
Real tourism shouldn't be disrupted. They'll not occupy the Peak, Ocean Park, the Buddha, Disneyland, etc. But for "new" tourism, such as LV shopping, jewelry shopping, baby formula shelve emptying, cart dragging/toe crushing, etc., it's not a good day or holiday to be in town.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just finished a Skype call with friend of ours, concern is whether this will result in (selective) curfews being imposed at these hotspots - against large public gatherings after dark (as in 1967 to 1969's, which were very different) if these non-violent (thus far & mostly peaceful civil unrests) protests evolved into prolonged encampment like those of Occupy Wall Street. And, there's an "App" for the movement in the digital age, of course.

Australia & Italy issued traveler's advisories, as reported via Reuters, cautioning their citizens to avoid venturing into these localized area of protests & gathering. OTOH, Kayak showing some great MR fares coming up - should be fine staying out in NT or Lantau.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 29, 2014 at 9:15 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Change Travel Plans?

I am scheduled to fly into Hong Kong from Chicago for a vacation I've had planned for months. Can anyone living in HK advise on whether I should keep my trip or avoid HK all together and maybe just connect to Thailand or Singapore instead?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Australia & Italy issued traveler's advisories, as reported via Reuters, cautioning their citizens to avoid venturing into these localized area of protests & gathering.
Ok found Australia's: http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...vice/Hong_Kong

Large numbers of pro-democracy protesters have gathered outside the Central Government Offices and Legislative Council building in the Admiralty district of Hong Kong over the weekend of 27-28 September. This has led to significant disruption to traffic and public transport services in the area. Police have deemed the demonstrations illegal and have been using tear gas and other crowd-dispersal measures. We recommend that Australians find alternative routes through the city, avoid large public demonstrations, and monitor local media to keep abreast of latest developments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.