Beware Occupy Movement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Occupy Movement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Well that's not Chinglish then. The equivalent Chinese term will have to be 加燃料 <-- does not exist in Canto vocab.
In Cantonese it is perfectly ok to say 加油 for filling up at a PFS (for the Americans: PFS = petrol filling station).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
In Cantonese it is perfectly ok to say 加油 for filling up at a PFS (for the Americans: PFS = petrol filling station).
Yes but all you have in a petrol station is "oil". We can't even ask for ethane yet.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Petrol in Canto after the Japanese occupation was called "electric oil 電油". Topping up the petrol or fueling up was 加油. And in Chinglish slang it is "add oil".

Aiyah! it is just like Singlish or Tinglish it does not make sense to outsiders, lah!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Aiyah! it is just like Singlish or Tinglish it does not make sense to outsiders, lah!
Exactly. Sibehh sialaan ah!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Exclamation Disperse, scatter, reform ?

South China Morning Post
Police can arrest protesters who obstruct bailiffs, High Court rules
Monday, 10 November, 2014, 8:20pm
News›Hong Kong
OCCUPY CENTRAL - DAY 44
Chris Lau, Julie Chu and Clifford Lo
Mong Kok and Admiralty occupied zones could be cleared within days, after High Court ruling
Police can now arrest Occupy Central protesters who defy bailiffs trying to clear their sit-in sites in Mong Kok and Admiralty, the High Court has ruled.

The court's authorisation for the bailiffs to get help from the police if necessary is a new addition to three interim restraining orders - on behalf of drivers' groups and the owner of a commercial building - in force for the past three weeks.

With the court's permission, the force could start removing barricades and defiant protesters from their occupied zone in Mong Kok as early as tomorrow, according to a police source.

The Department of Justice said yesterday that while the police would provide assistance in respect of the enforcement of the injunction orders, the Secretary for Justice might also "consider taking appropriate action against persons who may have committed the offence of criminal contempt".

In his judgment yesterday, Mr Justice Thomas Au Hing-cheung extended the orders and said officers could remove or arrest people who ignored or insisted on breaching them.
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...r-court-renews
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Had no problems throughout several day stay.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Had no problems throughout several day stay.
Same, other than the airport express bus for the Conrad being suspended. I can see the protestors from my hotel room and walked around the Occupiers in Central last night. Very calm, very peaceful (though based on Marco Polo's post that may change?).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoGT
I and my wife will fly to HG next week. We will stay at Royal Plaza (Mong Kok).
Idea is to take AEL to Kowloon and then K5 to Royal Plaza.

I think we will encounter issue, is that right?
So how was it staying at Royal Plaza? I'm hoping to hear you say that it was no different than any other visit.

I've got bookings at Royal Plaza for a week at the end of the month. We usually stay in Admiralty or TST. This time, I thought we'd save money by staying at Royal Plaza. It's so much cheaper than our other choice on TST waterfront. But I don't want us to be inconvenienced in any way on this trip, and don't want to expose our small kids to any of the protest activities.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
So how was it staying at Royal Plaza? I'm hoping to hear you say that it was no different than any other visit.

I've got bookings at Royal Plaza for a week at the end of the month. We usually stay in Admiralty or TST. This time, I thought we'd save money by staying at Royal Plaza. It's so much cheaper than our other choice on TST waterfront. But I don't want us to be inconvenienced in any way on this trip, and don't want to expose our small kids to any of the protest activities.
Wow thats one very protective parents. Take the train below the hotel and nth on the street level would annoy you. Watch out for chinese scammers from the other side of the border. And watch out for their non-etiquette of sh!tting and p!$$ing in the platform.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
Wow thats one very protective parents. Take the train below the hotel and nth on the street level would annoy you. Watch out for chinese scammers from the other side of the border. And watch out for their non-etiquette of sh!tting and p!$$ing in the platform.
I'm just wondering if things will be more or less the same in that area as in any other time. We go to HKG every year, so obviously we know the place well. Just last year we took our little kids to Flower/Bird Mkt and Grand Century Place and that neck of the woods, so I'm not worried about the kind of things you're saying. But if there's going to be blockades, worse than usual traffic, and political demonstrations, then I want to know because then I'd rather stay away from that area. Call me protective or call me what you will, but those are personally my concerns.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There is no issue with staying at the Royal Plaza. It is far from the occupied area. Langham Place is much closer, and no issues whatsoever either. Basically, unless you walk all the way out to Nathan Rd, you won't even notice there is anything different from other days. And during day time and most of the night, it is safe to go through the "occupied area" and check out the protesters' tents, make-shift shrines and all the stuff. If you are Caucasian, you'll likely be even more welcomed.

All MTR exits at Mong Kok are open. People go to all the shops and restaurants and buildings to work nearby every day. Except the big HSBC branch remains closed.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Nathan Road still blocked south of Argyle Street.

I'm not sure if cabbies are happy to take you to Royal Plaza, but I'll let MarcoGT comment on that. For me, I always ride the MTR into Mong Kok since Occupy started.

P.S. HSBC Mongkok Building branch (the big branch( reopened three days ago http://www.aastocks.com/en/stocks/ne...50/latest-news
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
There is no issue with staying at the Royal Plaza. It is far from the occupied area. Langham Place is much closer, and no issues whatsoever either. Basically, unless you walk all the way out to Nathan Rd, you won't even notice there is anything different from other days. And during day time and most of the night, it is safe to go through the "occupied area" and check out the protesters' tents, make-shift shrines and all the stuff. If you are Caucasian, you'll likely be even more welcomed.

All MTR exits at Mong Kok are open. People go to all the shops and restaurants and buildings to work nearby every day. Except the big HSBC branch remains closed.
Okay, that's all very encouraging. Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Nathan Road still blocked south of Argyle Street.
Nathan Rd and Argyle... wow, that's like right at the MTR station and right by the mall. All of Langham Place Mall is business as usual?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I walked through the Central protest area two nights ago and no one seemed to care. Very calm, a few police off to the sides mostly joking with each other. Some impromptu speeches down in the tents.

Some photos I took: http://imgur.com/a/MTk0M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.