Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong/China in November 4 for 5 days, budget lodgingg

Hong Kong/China in November 4 for 5 days, budget lodgingg

Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rkkwan
If you intent is to visit Hong Kong, then stay in HK. It'd drive most visitors crazy to commute from Shenzhen for consecutive days.
Perhaps a few days in Shenzhen, where rooms are cheaper, and then a few more days in a more expensive hotel in HKG.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rkkwan
If you intent is to visit Hong Kong, then stay in HK. It'd drive most visitors crazy to commute from Shenzhen for consecutive days.
Agreed. I do the drill once or twice a week and that is more than enough. I like Shenzhen a lot but there really isn't much to see or do here. One night is sufficient.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm pretty sure Canadians are currently eligible for Shenzhen border visas, which cost around $200HK on the spot (Luohu, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay, Shekou).
True, but be aware that these visas are only valid for entry to the Shenzhen Economic Zone, and are not valid for travel into other areas of China (even, for example, to Guangzhou).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
If you're willing to stay in hostels, there are quite a few in HK around 25-30 USD per night. Of course, this is for a bed shared with other travelers, if inclined.

I just stayed in one in HK and shared the room with several solo female travelers.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by christep
True, but be aware that these visas are only valid for entry to the Shenzhen Economic Zone, and are not valid for travel into other areas of China (even, for example, to Guangzhou).
I've brought people on sz visas to gz before. As long as they don't try to register at hotels outside of the sez, there's little to worry about.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Agreed. I do the drill once or twice a week and that is more than enough. I like Shenzhen a lot but there really isn't much to see or do here. One night is sufficient.
I'd argue that there's not much to do in HK either (though I wish more tourists would take advantage of various hikes in the New Territories).

I would sum up HK as a great place to bring one's camera, and Shenzhen as a great place to indulge in regional Chinese cuisines.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 pm

i have just stayed at Holiday Inn Express SOHO Sheung Wan and as far as i can remember it wasnt as cheap as your budget, but it was the most suitable for me as i was on transit to macau and it handy to the ferry. the location is good and handy to MTR and bus transport, the facilities were impeccable as well, its pretty new building.

i also looked at HIE East Kowloon but thats in Tseung Kwan O and thats miles away from anything, its 100-200HKD cheaper per night but you will just burn through that transporting yourselves around

there isnt much choice in accomodation in NT, there are a few hotels in Sha Tin but all except the Park Royal are not that convenient to anything. Park Royal is good but always booked out out early and hence prices are high

another area you could look at is Kwun Tong, its a bit out of the way but as its an old area so transport is good. i stayed at the Hotel Elan (when it was new) and it was good, but again a bit of a stretch on your budget

all the budget type accommodation will be more around kowloon, mong kok, yau ma tei etc. those areas will be very handy for transport. there are a few caritas/ywca hostels that you could look at.

if this is your first time in asia i would suggest that you stay in HK first and then ease yourselves into Shenzhen. i am an emmigrated honkie and i still cant get used to china easily.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
I stayed at one of the hotels on your list last week, BP International. It was adequate, and had enough room for me, which is not a given in HK. There was good Dim Sum in the basement restaurant as well. This suited the clientele, as Chinese groups seemed to be continuously either checking in or out.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by iamblessed
Please recommend a cheap hotel that is clean. Our budget is $60 to $100.00 a night for a double room (2 women). What is the best area to stay?

This is our first trip to Asia. We would like to explore China and we are hoping to across the border while there.

We are considering the following:

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Soho
Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong
Ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan
Hotel Rainbow Hong Kong
Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East
Silka West Kowloon Hotel
B P International Hotel 4 Star Hotel

http://www.agoda.com/en-ca/pages/ago...k=635468462870

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...d_filter=class

Thanks
I would avoid the Ibis because of the location. For me it's the wrong side of Central.

We stayed at the metropark Wan Chai two weeks ago and were pleased with it. Separate bathroom (good if two friends - as opposed to the 'glass bathroom' concept in some hotels). Booking direct with the hotel gave us a rate within your budget (HKD695++). Clean, good sized rooms, fridge and everything you could need. Two second walk to the trams and 5 minutes from Central.

My preferred budget hotel is the JJ Hotel (only really available through booking.com - but often sold out). The only consideration is the glass bathroom (but there are pull-down blinds).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would avoid the Ibis because of the location. For me it's the wrong side of Central.
I also prefer Wanchai/Admiralty/Causeway Bay to Sheungwan, but the latter is in the process of becoming nicer.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
We stayed at the metropark Wan Chai two weeks ago and were pleased with it. Separate bathroom (good if two friends - as opposed to the 'glass bathroom' concept in some hotels). Booking direct with the hotel gave us a rate within your budget (HKD695++).
Wow! I stayed there in late July and the cheapest I could find was via agoda for just over US$200 net net...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dtsm
Wow! I stayed there in late July and the cheapest I could find was via agoda for just over US$200 net net...
it can depend what's on in Hong Kong. The rate we got was a two night special at that price. All up USD98 a night including taxes which was fair value.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 am

Airbnb can offer some good deals

Try Airbnb - many good options. I stayed in the heart of Causeway Bay for only $40 a night last month - single bedroom in a very convenient location.

Of course now I would recommend to avoid the areas with protests, simply to make traveling around less of a pain.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I also prefer Wanchai/Admiralty/Causeway Bay to Sheungwan, but the latter is in the process of becoming nicer.
I don't find Sheung Wan to be all that horrible, either, and the price at the Ibis can be just right if you find the right deal. It's close to the ferry terminal and some interesting places to eat, like the ABC Kitchen at Queen Street Cooked Food Market and Lin Heung Kui, as well as the Western Market. It's not like you're in a complete industrial area...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.