Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Transfer Time (two different tickets)

Hong Kong Transfer Time (two different tickets)

Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Question Hong Kong Transfer Time (two different tickets)

What is a reasonable amount of time for a transfer through Hong Kong? I am flying in from Thailand on AirAsia and out to the US on United.

I have 1 hour, 45 minutes for the connection but it doesn't seem like much to me considering I will have to get my luggage, go through customs, immigration, recheck-in with United and go through security again. I would feel good if someone has done this and could reassure me

I am 1k on United and upgraded to first class.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:26 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I haven't done it.

But I say it's doable....*provided* FD doesn't delay - I have some experience it does.

Only slightly, about 30 minutes, but that's enough to blow your connection.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
UA checkin cutoff is 60 min before departure, so you have 45 min from landing on Air Asia to clear immigration, customs and get up to departure. Slim to none chance flying an LCC. An easy connection if flying CX but probably impossible with Air Asia even if on time.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by number_6
UA checkin cutoff is 60 min before departure, so you have 45 min from landing on Air Asia to clear immigration, customs and get up to departure. Slim to none chance flying an LCC. An easy connection if flying CX but probably impossible with Air Asia even if on time.
I would agree with this.

Take an earlier flight from Thailand, or even give up the current ticket you have and buy one on another airline that will allow you to through check bags from Thailand all the way to the USA.

Not worth losing your UA F ticket for the matter of a few minutes of time.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:20 am

AFAIK Air Asia does not interline bags. So there is no option for you except to clear full arrival formalities, pick up you bag and go to check in at Air Asia landside, go through full departure security and immigration formalities again. 1h 45m is extremely tight.

Last edited by Clipper801; Sep 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Clipper801
AFAIK Air Asia does not interline bags. So there is no option for you except to clear full arrival formalities, pick up you bag and go to check in at Air Asia landside, go through full departure security and immigration formalities again. 1h 45m is extremely tight.

Even if you do not have checked bag, I don't think Air Asia has a counter at the airside transfer desks.
United does, and that's all that matters in the OP's case.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
OP started the thread by saying he will have to collect luggage at HKG, so airside transfer isn't an option. With no luggage it becomes completely viable given OLCI for UA provided less than 1 hour late arrival.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
OP started the thread by saying he will have to collect luggage at HKG, so airside transfer isn't an option. With no luggage it becomes completely viable given OLCI for UA provided less than 1 hour late arrival.
Yes, I missed that and mistaken from UA to Air Asia.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:16 pm

Truthfully its going to be tight. A few issues to consider:

- Even if flight is on time, Air Asia have a habit of the plane being quite remote, hence a bus trip from plane to gate.
- The gate may be one which requires you to take a train to the immigration desks
- Recent experience with HKIA baggage claim has been a bit poor, i.e. its taken quite a bit of time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.