Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong hotel advice

Hong Kong hotel advice

Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Hong Kong hotel advice

Have a couple of mileage runs booked to Hong Kong. I've never been to HK before and could use some advice. The first run I will only be there for one night, so looking for something a little less expensive and very easy to get to/from airport. I'd like to keep it under $200USD that trip.

My second visit will be for a few days. I'd like to be able to enjoy the city a bit more and am willing to spend a bit more (~$300USD/night). I'm interested in local culture and food, but also want a hotel with some amenities. Would love one of the luxury offerings, but out of my price range for this trip. I will be traveling alone, so a safe area is of importance.

My travel dates are in October 2014.

As I said, it will be my first time to HK, so I'd love to hear any other advice on short trips to the city.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Hong Kong hotel advice

Ibis Sheung Wan and Central. Stayed there in January. Right off of the bus line into Central. Pretty reasonably priced.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
A good starting point is here - what to do & there's been quite a few posts lately about what/where to stay, MR & overnight, from a few hours to nearly a full day, budget vs. luxury, honeymooning vs. harbor view, etc. etc. - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/

October is traditionally a high season, busy with bookings & $$ rates due to huge influx of mainland CN visitors, especially first half of the month. Use a site like Agoda to price your exact date(s) & see what's available. With a # of cruise ships calling on HKG in October/November, rates seemed to be a bit higher also so try to lock in a fully refundable room quick, then shop around for bargain specials.

HongKong Airport Express is likely your best friend for your short turnaround, with a one day (24 hours) discount for train travel, inexpensive by US standard - fast & efficient, and 95 to 99% reliable, leaving from inside the main terminal to Kowloon & Hong Kong island's stations in less than 30 minutes. CityFlyer runs a number of airport express bus routes, with racks for luggage, cheaper & a bit slower but very efficient, many will be stopping almost in front/around the corner from popular hotels on both sides of the harbor - travel time usually about 1 hour (or less) each direction. With Airport Express, you can do in-town check-in with BP & luggage dropped off at in-town stations, making the journey an easy one.

Perhaps you wanted to do a bit of reading & then come up with a short list of hotels that match your budget. Any status or preference for hotel programs and freebies/upgrades ??

Enjoy your run - you might want to ask a MOD to move this post over. Or, close this & post a new one with more specifics at the new local forum for better exposure to help in answering your unanswered questions. For virtual help, check out YouTube on the arrival & HKIA experience as some friends found them to be very useful in planning their "exciting" trip to this tiny city of 7 million residents.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 9, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Hong Kong hotel advice

Thanks to Airport Express, getting to/from the airport from Central or Kowloon could not be easier. If you want to stay close to the airport, the Marriott is walking distance from the Asia World station, and should fall within your price range.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:01 pm

I'll be there in November. Go to the happy valley horse races , it has an amazing atmosphere, take the tram for a whopping $2 and do as the locals do... Cheer and loose all your money Check out the ovolo hotels in HK, great service without the $$$. And go to Macau on the cotijet, Macau Conrad has some great points and $ redemption rates now Chinese mainlanders are restricted from going Macau to gamble.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:28 pm

Twice I've stayed at the Courtyard on HK side. Cityflyer bus A11 at the airport goes direct and the first stop is in front of hotel for about HKD40!! Really nice water views, too.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I loved the Langham Place in Mongkok. A few years ago the rates were reasonable but not sure what they are now.

It is in a less touristy area (ie not TST) which I enjoyed. Easy access to the subway.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:37 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more advice and discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the dedicated forum on Hong Kong and Macau. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA
Second the advice on the Marriott (Sky City?) for the quick stay - and would actually suggest you walk from the terminals, as the walk (maybe a 1/2 mile all in, all walkways and sidewalks, very safe) might be just what the doctor ordered after the long flights.

For the longer stay, look in to the YMCA (!) as it is a great location downtown (star ferries a 3 minute walk) and less expensive than the big names. Rooms are fine, a little old fashioned maybe by "luxury" standards, and they have a very good breakfast too. I was a little hesitant to consider it at first, but it was a great place to stay, we had a harbor view room on the ~15th floor, separate bedroom and small living room, little kitchenette ... walking distance to the subway as well.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice and apologies for putting the post in the wrong place...somehow I overlooked all the destination forums.

I went ahead and booked the Marriott Skycity for my short stay. I think I'll walk as suggested after the flight. There are so many hotels in HK that it's a bit overwhelming. I'm thinking about the Harbour Grand Kowloon. On the fence, but will probably opt for the Harbourview room. Club floor access would be nice, but it's hard to imagine it being worth the extra cost (~$63USD more/night).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Stygian7
Thanks all for the advice and apologies for putting the post in the wrong place...somehow I overlooked all the destination forums.

I went ahead and booked the Marriott Skycity for my short stay. I think I'll walk as suggested after the flight. There are so many hotels in HK that it's a bit overwhelming. I'm thinking about the Harbour Grand Kowloon. On the fence, but will probably opt for the Harbourview room. Club floor access would be nice, but it's hard to imagine it being worth the extra cost (~$63USD more/night).
I stay in HK monthly - for the one night the marriott is solid - but nothing to do.... I can't recommend Langham place highly enough - and spend some money to get club access - it's worth it for the free food and drinks 24/7 - it's in Mong kok - the old area of HK and so much fun - and it sits right on top of an MTR station - so convenient! The views of HK are also amazing - here's a pic from my last stay - floor 39 - a few weeks ago...

Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I stay in HK monthly - for the one night the marriott is solid - but nothing to do.... I can't recommend Langham place highly enough - and spend some money to get club access - it's worth it for the free food and drinks 24/7 - it's in Mong kok - the old area of HK and so much fun - and it sits right on top of an MTR station - so convenient! The views of HK are also amazing - here's a pic from my last stay - floor 39 - a few weeks ago...

After some reading, took yours and TTT's recommendation on Langham place. Pushed the budget about 20% and booked a residence suite. Looking forward to my stay.

Now, I'm considering something more interesting for my one night. I booked a refundable rate at Skycity Marriott. I'll have to do some more research; I just don't want to underestimate my transit time needs. I will arrive 7:35pm and depart at 10:25am (delta). Not a big party person, but enjoy a well made cocktail in a nice atmosphere.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After some reading, took yours and TTT's recommendation on Langham place. Pushed the budget about 20% and booked a residence suite. Looking forward to my stay.

Now, I'm considering something more interesting for my one night. I booked a refundable rate at Skycity Marriott. I'll have to do some more research; I just don't want to underestimate my transit time needs. I will arrive 7:35pm and depart at 10:25am (delta). Not a big party person, but enjoy a well made cocktail in a nice atmosphere.
The Ibis in Sheungwan is easy and not expensive, but I would head over to Wanchai or Causeway Bay (lots of decent hotel options, or you could simply go there or SoHo/LKF to hang out and return to the Ibis to crash) because there's not really much to do in Sheungwan itself.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 11, 2014 at 4:45 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

This is going to be a real "touristy" recommendation - but for one night and to get an amazing view see if you can get a deal at the inter-continental in kowloon. since you won;'t arrive until around 9:15pm and have to leave around 8am the location overlooking HK is stunning there - and it's easy to take the star ferry over to Central if you want... It's also close to the train station back to the airport - or take a cab (actually quite cheap relatively in HK). Enjoy - I will be there again in a few weeks. FYI the Resisences are brilliant and you can check in at the club on floor 36 and avoid the lobby altogether. Do take some time when there to wander around the ladies market and Mong kok - it's safe and fun. Take the train over to Central and have fun and do the touristy things as well - on a nice day take the cable cars up and have lunch / driinks overlooking HK - it's gorgeous.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This is going to be a real "touristy" recommendation - but for one night and to get an amazing view see if you can get a deal at the inter-continental in kowloon. since you won;'t arrive until around 9:15pm and have to leave around 8am the location overlooking HK is stunning there - and it's easy to take the star ferry over to Central if you want... It's also close to the train station back to the airport - or take a cab (actually quite cheap relatively in HK). Enjoy - I will be there again in a few weeks. FYI the Resisences are brilliant and you can check in at the club on floor 36 and avoid the lobby altogether. Do take some time when there to wander around the ladies market and Mong kok - it's safe and fun. Take the train over to Central and have fun and do the touristy things as well - on a nice day take the cable cars up and have lunch / driinks overlooking HK - it's gorgeous.
He said that the budget for trip #1 is $200 for the hotel night. The IC tends to cost a lot more than that. Even if he has points to burn, for such a short stay, I would stay somewhere more modest... maybe a notch from the Ibis, but not 5-star either. The Charter House might not be a bad choice. I will say that HK hotel prices are more volatile than any other place I've been in the world apart from maybe NY (e.g. during the past 3 months alone, I've seen the Cosmo for as little 500hkd --Ctrip special rate which they seem to turn on when occupancy is slack-- and as much as 2200hkd; monitoring the scene and knowing when to pull the trigger is critical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.