Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

1 Hour Connection in Hong Kong advice

Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Hullo! I would love to tap into the expertise here in the forum - I'm considering a 1 hour connection time in Hong Kong, and was wondering if you can give me some hints on how best to make my connection?

The flights I'm considering are a Delta flight landing at 7:35PM at Terminal 1, Gate 44, and then a Thai Airways flight leaving at 8:45PM at Terminal 2. I only have carry-on.

I would would be very thankful for your expert advice on what steps I should take (assuming planes are on time) to make my connection - thank you!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Within terminal 1 I have made 30 min connections several times -- very efficient airport. Not sure how long it takes to get to Terminal 2, but presume under 10 min, so you have ample connecting time. Most likely the MCT is 45 min. HKG is a very efficient airport, both in layout and operation.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:18 am
Community Director Emerita

Are your flights on the same ticket or separate tickets? If separate tickets, the risk is on you to make your onward flight. If a single ticket, the risk is on the airline who will need to rebook you should you fail to make your connection.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Are your flights on the same ticket or separate tickets? If separate tickets, the risk is on you to make your onward flight. If a single ticket, the risk is on the airline who will need to rebook you should you fail to make your connection.
Separate tickets, so risk is on me. I'd appreciate any advice on how long it takes to get to Terminal 2 (from what I understand, I have to first get a boarding pass, then pass through immigration), as well as how to expedite the process.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:18 am

should be doable if you arrive on time. Terminal 1 and 2 is just different for the check in area. All gates are in the same building. There are transfer desks for transit passagers on the arrival floor. The transfer desk (W1) for TG is at Gate 36. Go there if you need a boarding pass. If you are already checked-in online follow the sign for the depature level.

Last edited by Chaosmax; Sep 6, 2014 at 6:26 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Don't go to immigration, as this is an airside transfer -- stay airside! There is a security check from arrivals to departures but that typically takes under 5 min even at busy times. For ontime arrival you will be fine, unless TG has some nasty rule requiring check-in 2 hours prior to departure time ... which quite a few airlines now do for O/D discount tickets. Online check-in would be a necessity if that is the case. I'd suggest phoning TG and have them link your flight into HKG so they know you have a connection and not originating in HKG!!!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by number_6
I'd suggest phoning TG and have them link your flight into HKG so they know you have a connection and not originating in HKG!!!
TG also has on-line check-in, that might help.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:17 pm

I was just forced into a 30 minute transfer from some gate in the 40's to gate 3. Literally opposite ends of the airport. Had to lightly jog/power walk parts of the way, but doable. Not the first class experience I was hoping for in HKG.

Cathay ground crew gave me a green sticker to put on my shirt. It apparently did nothing, as security checkpoint wasn't any faster or expedited. I even got stopped 20 feet from the gate at a random back check table. Anyone know what those stickers are for? The ground crew said "so they know who you are". I asked "so who knows?" They just repeated themselves. Also found it a bit frustrating when I asked where gate three is located, they said "at gate 3". OP: figure out your gates and copy a HKG map to your phone. You can make it with a bit of hustle, provided your arrival isn't late.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Lostabroad
Cathay ground crew gave me a green sticker to put on my shirt. It apparently did nothing, as security checkpoint wasn't any faster or expedited. I even got stopped 20 feet from the gate at a random back check table. Anyone know what those stickers are for? The ground crew said "so they know who you are". I asked "so who knows?" They just repeated themselves.
I've never assumed that the sticker would give you a special line at security. I transited HKG on SQ 1 from SFO to SIN and also was given a sticker to wear. I think they do it so that it makes it easier for the airline staff to find you if you happen to be wandering around the terminal as the boarding gate is about to close.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I've never assumed that the sticker would give you a special line at security. I transited HKG on SQ 1 from SFO to SIN and also was given a sticker to wear. I think they do it so that it makes it easier for the airline staff to find you if you happen to be wandering around the terminal as the boarding gate is about to close.
I just figured it might have helped out with lines or something, as the FA's in the air told the first class cabin that we would be assisted in the transfer considering the plane was 2+ hours late and we'd be running between gates. I don't think anyone even looked at the sticker. If this had been Thai first class in their home airport, first passengers would have been ushered between gates by ground staff in one of those beeping cars. Kind of unacceptable that this happened twice at HKG, inbound and outbound. That's why I thought the stickers might have helped.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The sticker gives you no privileges - it's only there to help ground staff to quickly identify passengers queuing in the wrong gate e.g. two Qantas flights, or two CX flights to same destination.

Lostabroad - CX doesn't own the buggy service. CX will pay for buggy only if your connection is tight. Not because you have status and/or flying F. Don't like it? "Transit BKK la". But honestly the distances between gates in BKK are further.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
The sticker gives you no privileges - it's only there to help ground staff to quickly identify passengers queuing in the wrong gate e.g. two Qantas flights, or two CX flights to same destination.

Lostabroad - CX doesn't own the buggy service. CX will pay for buggy only if your connection is tight. Not because you have status and/or flying F. Don't like it? "Transit BKK la". But honestly the distances between gates in BKK are further.
I now understand what the sticker is for--was explained alaready. I'm still in disbelieve that they'd even bother, as I only had half an hour to the technical take off time and no other CX planes near my gate were departing. I had the vantage of having to run past them all. What is tighter than that to require the buggy in HKG? We had a full first class too, with just about everyone asking the same questions about the sticker and gate location. You'd think the home airport would have slightly better service.

You can't directly compare BKK and HKG. They cover similar acreage, but BKK is an "H" shape and HKG is a "Y" shape. While the longest theoretical distance between gates is at BKK, the longest distance from street side to furthest gate is at HKG. The run I took was just about that length at HKG.

This was award travel on last minute CX-F openings. I didn't have the luxury of picking my layovers, but I'll keep your snarky comment about BKK-LA in mind next time I pay cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.