Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

MR Over night layover in HKG

Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, SPG Preferred

MR to HKG in early October. Will arrive at HKG 6:05 pm Oct 5, and next day turn around at 1:30 pm. What should I do in HKG. Don't really want to spend money in hotel. Any good spa that I can stay overnight to relax and get decent massages? Or any other suggestions?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I'd suggest a hotel. Or take an adderall and party all night, then return to the airport in the am for massages and relaxing. What you should do depends on what you are into, and if you have been to HK before. If I have an overnight (which I do in the future, DPS-HKG-ORD), I'd stay in the busier parts of TST and absorb the culture. If I don't want to be alone, I'd call up some of my friends to grab dinner and go out afterwards.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I did this MR (on AA) in July and stayed at the airport Regal Hotel. Nice views and workout room, along with pool. Connected to the terminal by a walkway, so you can access Airport Express and the retail shops very easily.

Next time, I might stay in Kowloon because the departure is midday, so I would get more time in town. I wanted to squeeze in a peak tram ride, but the line was too long (even at 8:30pm). So, the Star Ferry and Ave of the Stars were good runner-ups.

Enjoy! It's a wonderful MR.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SoloTravelerinRed
MR to HKG in early October. Will arrive at HKG 6:05 pm Oct 5, and next day turn around at 1:30 pm. What should I do in HKG. Don't really want to spend money in hotel. Any good spa that I can stay overnight to relax and get decent massages? Or any other suggestions?
Since hotel is out, you might want to check out this:
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...in-lounge.html

If you are coming in on CX, you can also use CX's Arrival Lounge. But I think you are doing the AA run?

If you can check in early, note that CX Wing First Lounge opens from 05:30.

I would definitely go to Kowloon and roam around till at least midnight before returning to HKG.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I did this MR (on AA) in July and stayed at the airport Regal Hotel. Nice views and workout room, along with pool. Connected to the terminal by a walkway, so you can access Airport Express and the retail shops very easily.

Next time, I might stay in Kowloon because the departure is midday, so I would get more time in town. I wanted to squeeze in a peak tram ride, but the line was too long (even at 8:30pm). So, the Star Ferry and Ave of the Stars were good runner-ups.

Enjoy! It's a wonderful MR.
Thanks for the suggestion. It could be a reasonable option. I checked the hotel's website. It seems pretty nice and very convenient. Wish the prices are a little lower!!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Since hotel is out, you might want to check out this:
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...in-lounge.html

If you are coming in on CX, you can also use CX's Arrival Lounge. But I think you are doing the AA run?

If you can check in early, note that CX Wing First Lounge opens from 05:30.

I would definitely go to Kowloon and roam around till at least midnight before returning to HKG.
I can access CX's arrival lounge, but it opens only until midnight. The link you provided is a pay-in private arrival lounge--Plaza Premium Lounge--which opens 24 hours but charged by hours you stay in. I have a priority press that gives me access to the Plaza Premium Lounges (there are two both in T1, one one East Hall, one on West Hall). Not sure if one of these two is the arrival lounge. Any idea?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I can access CX's arrival lounge, but it opens only until midnight. The link you provided is a pay-in private arrival lounge--Plaza Premium Lounge--which opens 24 hours but charged by hours you stay in. I have a priority press that gives me access to the Plaza Premium Lounges (there are two both in T1, one one East Hall, one on West Hall). Not sure if one of these two is the arrival lounge. Any idea?
SoloTravelerinRed - no. Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge is separate from Plaza Premium East Hall and Plaza Premium West Hall lounges. And CX's Arrival Lounge for the matter - they are operated by same company but admission policy is different. Priority Pass *does not* give you access to either arrival lounge.

You can only sit in the Plaza Premium Arrivals lounge - it has no day rooms or the like. I think Plaza Premium West Hall has longer-stay rooms, but you can't access those with PP and must be paid for.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 10, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
SoloTravelerinRed - no. Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge is separate from Plaza Premium East Hall and Plaza Premium West Hall lounges. And CX's Arrival Lounge for the matter - they are operated by same company but admission policy is different. Priority Pass *does not* give you access to either arrival lounge.

You can only sit in the Plaza Premium Arrivals lounge - it has no day rooms or the like. I think Plaza Premium West Hall has longer-stay rooms, but you can't access those with PP and must be paid for.
Thank you for the info. I was wondering if I can just stay inside the airport as a transit passenger? If so, can I still access the Lounges even though the flight is next day?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Thank you for the info. I was wondering if I can just stay inside the airport as a transit passenger?

If so, can I still access the Lounges even though the flight is next day?
Sure. But the lounges are on departure level and I think after last flight they may enforce the two hour stay rule cos they have 5-hour stay and overnight room options that they want you to pay for. No concrete evidence of this but their fee structure makes this somewhat likely.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
That's quite a long layover to be without a hotel. BA.com (as in the British Airways website) is offering Traders Hotel - part of Shangri-La - for 68 (so $110) on October 5th.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
That's quite a long layover to be without a hotel. BA.com (as in the British Airways website) is offering Traders Hotel - part of Shangri-La - for 68 (so $110) on October 5th.
Thanks. The hotel looks nice but seems a little far from the airport. Any idea how long the travel time is? Can I take subway?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks. The hotel looks nice but seems a little far from the airport. Any idea how long the travel time is? Can I take subway?
It is way past the west end of the Island MTR line. If that is your choice take Airport Express (AEX) to Hong Kong (central station) and taxi over.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Must admit the reasons I flagged this were more a combination of respected quality brand, low price and the fact it was nearer what would be going on in HK than being stuck at the airport.

It looks like the A10 bus stops 1 block away on the way from the airport (bit further on the way back).

From the hotel it's also an easy walk down to the old tram which runs right along the front (or where the front used to be..) of the Island which is a great & cheap 'tour' to take day or night.

Fair point though if you want to be more central then look elsewhere - but it's obviously going to cost more...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Very short walk from Traders to A10 stop heading back to airport. Maybe 5 minutes tops. A10 is only every 30 minutes. There's also A12 that's every 20 minutes, with its stop to the airport just about 2-3 minutes further from the Traders (i.e. 7-8 minutes).

The Cityflyer buses have real-time status, so you can find out when the buses will get to the stops before walking out to the stops from the hotel. Via their apps or webpage.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I'm doing the same thing this weekend, arrive HKG 10:30 p.m. leave at 10:30 a.m.

Found some info on tripadvisor, I believe, go to Terminal 1 near gates 34 - 36 and there are lounge chairs in that area, and/or benches without the arm rests between every seat.

Bring a neck pillow and blanket or sweatshirt, they say it is COLD in the airport.

there is also a 24 hour starbucks, McDonalds and 7-11

If I have the energy - mainly depending on my upgrade chances - I'll try to get into the city, but if not, my plan is to hopefully score a lounge chair, the VS lounge opens at 0600, so I can then head there, chill, eat, shower, and board the flight home, thankfully in first

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.