Wiki Posts
Search

Use HK ID instead of UK passport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Use HK ID instead of UK passport?

Hello,

My friend was born and raised in HK with a HK passport. He also has a UK passport. He had booked a roundtrip flight to Thailand and put down his UK passport number to buy these tickets. Now he has lost his UK passport. His flight to Thailand is in 2 weeks, will he still be able to travel to and from Thailand just using his HK passport? Or does he have to get an emergency UK passport?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by monkeyroll; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:16 am Reason: Sorry, my mistake, I didn't mean HK ID, I meant HK passport.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Airline won't let him check-in and he can't enter Thailand.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:14 am

I can enter Hong Kong with only my HKID and Germany with my German ID. I still won't be able to get on the flight without passport.
Let alone trying to get into a third country like Thailand where everybody needs a passport.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry sorry, I meant HK passport. Not HK ID. If you book a flight with a UK passport, but then lose that passport, can you board the plane and enter another country with the HK passport. Thanks and sorry for the confusion. I don't think I can edit the title, but I edited my post.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Call the airline and give them the HKSAR passport number before hand. Usually, while they won't let you change the name on the ticket, it's okay to change the passport type and number. Still he should get his UK passport replaced soon, and two weeks is plenty of time. It'll have a new number anyways.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by monkeyroll
Sorry sorry, I meant HK passport...
In this case I don't see a problem.
Originally Posted by rkkwan
...Still he should get his UK passport replaced soon, and two weeks is plenty of time...
Plenty of time only if he is in the UK.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by monkeyroll
Sorry sorry, I meant HK passport. Not HK ID. If you book a flight with a UK passport, but then lose that passport, can you board the plane and enter another country with the HK passport. Thanks and sorry for the confusion. I don't think I can edit the title, but I edited my post.
I'm not aware of any requirement to book flights between HK and Thailand "with a passport". API data is not a requirement in Hong Kong or Thailand. A flight ticket requires a name. As long as he has any passport in the same name as the ticket, there is no problem. Both HK passport holders and UK passport holders have visa-free entry to Thailand for a month. While it is academic in this case because the visa-free policy extends to both, does your friend actually have a UK passport or is it just a BN(O) passport?

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I can enter Hong Kong with only my HKID and Germany with my German ID. I still won't be able to get on the flight without passport.
Let alone trying to get into a third country like Thailand where everybody needs a passport.
I know of several cases where CX permitted passengers to travel to HK with just a HKID. Although technically only valid for intra-EEA travel, you would be able to depart Germany or any EEA country with a German ID (by which I mean a German national ID card "Personalausweis", not a residence permit "Aufenthaltstitel" - whereas the HKID card sort of but not really serves both these purposes). Going the other way probably not, because the redundant bouncers at HKG won't understand what the German ID is.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Call the airline and give them the HKSAR passport number before hand. Usually, while they won't let you change the name on the ticket, it's okay to change the passport type and number. Still he should get his UK passport replaced soon, and two weeks is plenty of time. It'll have a new number anyways.
Renewing a UK passport from here is going to take a minimum of 3 weeks and probably a lot longer right now given the large backlog that needs to be cleared.

I know someone whose child's passport took 9 weeks to renew!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.