Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Advice Honeymoon hotel in Hong Kong

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Dear HK Experts

On our way to Australia this August for our honeymoon we are going to stay in Hong Kong for a few days. Within the budget I have shortlisted the following:

Icon (Really good reviews)
Hyatt Regency Hong Kong (We were really impressed by the Park Hyatt in Tokyo)
Langham Place Mongkok

On FT I was recommended the Rhombus panorama hotel that looks really nice.

Just wonder if there is any other hotel we should consider which we might have missed

Thanks again

Last edited by Polomarc; Jul 31, 2014 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:53 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Dear HK Experts

On our way to Australia this August for our honeymoon we are going to stay in Hong Kong for a few days. Within the budget I have shortlisted the following:

Icon (Really good reviews)
Hyatt Regency Hong Kong (We were really impressed by the Park Hyatt in Tokyo)
Langham Place Mongkok

On FT I was recommended the Rhombus panorama hotel that looks really nice.

Just wonder if there is any other hotel we should consider which we might have missed

Thanks again
Can you let us know your actual budget in AUD and dates? Might be able to find something for you.

Hyatt Regency is a far cry from a Park Hyatt by the way (I have stayed at Park Hyatts, but not the one in Tokyo), so I wouldn't base my opinion of the hotel on your stay at the PH Tokyo.

ICON does get great reviews - mostly for its views - but this won't feature high on your list if location is of utmost importance to you. Rhombus Panorama has nice views.

Other than budget, do you have any other preferences you want to consider e.g. room size, room in general, view (this might be big considering its a honeymoon), food options in hotel + vicinity etc...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deathscar
Can you let us know your actual budget in AUD and dates? Might be able to find something for you.

Hyatt Regency is a far cry from a Park Hyatt by the way (I have stayed at Park Hyatts, but not the one in Tokyo), so I wouldn't base my opinion of the hotel on your stay at the PH Tokyo.

ICON does get great reviews - mostly for its views - but this won't feature high on your list if location is of utmost importance to you. Rhombus Panorama has nice views.

Other than budget, do you have any other preferences you want to consider e.g. room size, room in general, view (this might be big considering its a honeymoon), food options in hotel + vicinity etc...
Thanks

The date is from 26th August-30th August. Our budget around 272Aus dollar a night.

Otherwise high rise, great views and not too difficult to get to from atractions. The food options, just the usual buffet is fine

Thanks again for input
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
If you are looking for a reasonable priced situated hotel close to MTR, bars and restaurants then Rhombus panorama hotel is good.

View is also good for the price that you pay. I have stayed a couple of times at this hotel and it is very convienent.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
LP Mong Kok has some nice suites if your budget extends that far -- quite good value as they also include club access. I stayed in their Penthouse last time (over USD 1000 per night but it is a great suite for honeymoon); the entry level suites should be available for under USD 300 which is close to your budget and you'll be very happy with the hotel. It has many charming touches, like an art custodian on staff to take care of the hundreds of original art works scattered throughout the hotel. Their cheapest rooms are very small (you get what you pay for ... this is generally true in Hong Kong due to cost of construction).
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks

The date is from 26th August-30th August. Our budget around 272Aus dollar a night.

Otherwise high rise, great views and not too difficult to get to from atractions. The food options, just the usual buffet is fine

Thanks again for input
In terms of actual hotel quality, Hotel Icon and Langham Place Mong Kong are probably the best bets for your budget. Hotel Icon will have the much better views, but is a good 10-15 min walk to the actual MTR station. Langham Place is very convenient, but be aware that this hotel is also right in the thick of things and crowds. Hyatt Regency mixes the best of both of Hotel Icon and Langham Place - so perhaps do check again to see what their rates are like...just don't expect Park Hyatt standards!

Probably unlikely, but do check the Sheraton to see if you can swing a harbour view room for that price.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
A few thoughts - depending on OP's exact dates for their stay in HK and working within their budget (converted to USD/HKD) - looking on Agoda's booking site, I see LP Mongkok's Essential Place+ w. either City or Harbour View but high, 23/F & up - nice amenities and decent sized room (similar to the Sheraton) free WiFi, Bose sound & 42" HDTV, etc. right above MTR subway train station, so easy to get around during those 4 days, easy walk to Temple Street's Night Market or Ladies Market (just to look/check it out, nothing worth buying) and just off Nathan Road. It's hot & humid in August, an easy air-conditioned metered taxi ride to popular tourist places for 2 when connecting with MTR to the nearest stop. A room high above should take care of most if not all street noise from below and we usually don't find it to be a problem with most HK hotels, the thin wall insulation is when you are "honeymooning" LOL. Perhaps they would be kind enough to upgrade you to a higher floor with a decent harbour view at no extra charge - as you are staying for 4 nights as honeymoners (email them in advance, won't hurt to ask.)

Sheraton HK right on Nathan Road is an old modernized classic, across from the Peninsula & 2 blocks from MTR, everything else in TST within easier walking distance + the Star Ferry. Harbour View (King bed) is just a little higher for OP's budget but the sweeping night view is great for the laser show, worth considering. WiFi is extra, however, for guests unless ... whereas other hotels are mostly offering them free these days >> prepaid Sim options for mobile voice/data access are cheap for use all over HKG.

ICON is nice & bigger sized room, great amenities if you stay indoor & not go anywhere but hangout at the rooftop pool/lounge, etc. but a bit too far from Tsim Sha Tsui (w/o sweating in the summer months) - priced a bit higher. Rhombus on the island is great if you wanted to be near Soho/LKF & do bar hopping, Central/Victoria Peak, etc. as everything else would be a taxi/bus/tram or MTR (and, of course, walking ...) Check out the photos (along with the reviews & comments on Tripadvisors) & shop around for pricing discounts among various booking sites - it appeared that overall prices are trending downward lately.

Lastly, while in HK - OP mentioned the buffet, please avoid them if you could (except, maybe for breakfast or Sunday brunch at the better hotels - as they aren't exactly bargains either.) Wide choice of food, restaurants & specialities on a global scale in all prices - and do sample the Macau pork chop buns and Portuguese egg tarts. And, congrats for - Happy Happy !!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Ah - one thing to note about the Sheraton though. Currently renovating a lot of the rooms (last stage I believe) so it can get quite noisy! That, plus lots of renovation/new building works within the vicinity...

But that view is killer, and if you can just about work it into your budget, is probably the best bet for a good hotel within your price range. In any case, you can always head up to the Sky Lounge for a drink just before dusk to enjoy the view.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Sheraton or Hyatt Regency would make sense if you have elite status and therefore lounge access as well as a likely upgrade to a room with a view. Otherwise, I'd advise Langham Place or a well researched boutique hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the very useful suggestions. I am going to book my flights and then I will post my short list of hotels based on the suggestions above
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Thanks

Thanks again for input
I think it was maybe me that suggested Rhombus panorama. A club harbour view room during the dates would be 310 AUD per night including taxes. Which will include their lounge which is okay. Couple of free drinks at night and a few nibbles. Checked in via the "private" lift is pretty cool.

Sheraton harbour-view room will be the same money but no lounge.

If it was me I would probably pick the Rhombus. The lounge would swing it. They are practically beside each other.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Rhombus is a good choice for harborview, but I wouldn't call it "practically beside" the Sheraton. Because it really isn't. It is more beside the Hyatt Regency.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Rhombus is a good choice for harborview, but I wouldn't call it "practically beside" the Sheraton. Because it really isn't. It is more beside the Hyatt Regency.
It's at most a 5 minute walk. You would have to walk very slow to make it 5 minutes.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Finally booked our flights. Do most people use Trivago or directly the hotel website. Rhombus it is I think.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:02 pm

Finally booked our flights. Do most people use Trivago or directly the hotel website. Rhombus it is I think.
If you contact the Rhombus they are normally very good in trying to do a deal with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.