Search

HK Hotels - having doubts about Intercontinental

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
HK Hotels - having doubts about Intercontinental

I am currently booked for 6 award nights at the Intercontinental on the avenue of stars, but I am having second thoughts as
  1. Upgrading to harbor view rooms cost quite a bit.
  2. It is removed from many parts of HK.

Would you have any recommendation on where else I could stay? I prefer to stay at somewhere that is close to many tourist sights, or close to public transportation that will take me to those places.

This will be my first time in HK.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This hotel is in a good location. You can walk to tourist stuff on the Kowloon side and take either the Victoria Ferry or the subway to Central. Either is about a block away.

The hotel is modern and has a bunch of restaurants. There's been some construction around it, but hopefully that is finished or will be by your stay.

You don't state a price, but I think a water view would make a big difference here. This hotel probably has the best view in Hong Kong of the skyline and light show, although you can get the same view for free with others on the Walk of Stars.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Removed? Are you talking about the Ritz or W instead?

The only semi-valid complain about its convenience is that the lobby-to-train distance to the Tsuen Wan Line MTR is not as short as it seems, but it's really no worse than say the Kowloon Shangri-La or Marco Polo; and not much worse than Island Shang or Conrad to Admiralty. Definitely much closer than from the Four Seasons to the Tsuen Wan or Island Line.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:26 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Both your concerns are misguided. It's near enough public transportation to take you to the parts of HK you would probably be going to, and that harbour view is worth it.

You may want to consider staying Island side as you want closer access to tourist spots (I assume Big Buddha, Peak etc) and those are best accessed from HK island apart from a few things on Kowloon.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by agp423
I am currently booked for 6 award nights at the Intercontinental on the avenue of stars, but I am having second thoughts as
  1. Upgrading to harbor view rooms cost quite a bit.
  2. It is removed from many parts of HK.

Would you have any recommendation on where else I could stay? I prefer to stay at somewhere that is close to many tourist sights, or close to public transportation that will take me to those places.

This will be my first time in HK.
1. Just do the upgrade to the harbour view. It's also further away from any construction work.

2. With respect, that is incorrect and I'd be interested in hearing how you came to that view. Sure there are more convenient hotels but there are a heck of a lot more inconvenient hotels as well. And convenience is determined by what you want to see. If you want to go shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui, the IC is fine. If you want to take the Star Ferry, it's very close.

Perplexed.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I guess I thought it was removed due to ignorance. I will stay, and see how much upgrade costs when I check in.

thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't you want to arrange in advance to get a room with a view?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
"Removed" from many parts of HK ???? Are you sure - this is the IC / formely known as the Regents (and, the "New World" Hotel then, next door - back in the 80's and 90's with its fleet of Rolls & MB hotel limo in front? Not at all unless you consider a 5 to 10 minutes walk being too far to travel (hint - don't even think about booking over at West Kowloon's waterfront)

Confused - better launch your browser & pull up street views on Google Map, etc. to see what you've mistaken. Your scored 6 free nights and you definitely can / should consider taking a taxi ride to go see the "rest" of HK. The harbour view is nice and do spend some time in the lobby bar/cafe for breakfast & tea time - and try to get the windows view facing the waterfront. But, the best way to see HK is to get out of that oversized hotel room - including the Star Ferry nearby "dynamically." Even if you don't upgrade - try/ask for the higher floor with a nicer "city" view (and it's static.) To see & experience HKG is to get out & walk around - or, be driven around (a taxi will do too ... just saying)

Public transportation is fast, efficient & mostly (95%) reliable - you need to learn how to Octopus Card. But, taxis are plentiful and equally inexpensive by U.S. standards - the insider "secret" is knowing how to ride the (Green) PMB - it helps if you can read Chinese, but they run on designated routes & numbered (i.e. coming down from the Peak to Central/LKF) Enjoy your visit

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 21, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The IC was built (as the Regent) to be one of the finest hotels in the world, thus their better suites are note-worthy still, even run as an IC. But not cheap for upgrades. Half the rooms dont have harbour view and that view does make a big difference.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:43 am

The thing that I don't much like about the IC's location (its "removedness," maybe) is that, unlike so many other hotels in HK, you can't walk outside the front door of the IC and be in the middle of everything. To get to anywhere that's part of the ultra-charged city life of the city, you need to walk down a driveway that was built for cars not pedestrians, then make your way over or under the road. Hardly a reason not to stay at the IC if you've got a harbour-view room, but for me it's a down-side.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
My mother would deliberately arrange first-time visitors of Hong Kong to have afternoon tea at the IC (and not the Peninsula) simply for its remarkable view of the Victoria Harbour (through the hotel's glass walls). IC is worth it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I requested an upgrade to harbour view room for an extra 990HKD/night. Good deal!

Is cab the way to go for HKG - IC HK, or is there efficient public transportation?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
There are very elaborate information in the IHG forum and the property specific thread; including treatment on reward reservations, upgrade policy, location and restaurants.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...10-merged.html

I'd take a taxi; the Airport Express + taxi/bus might be a cheaper option.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by nsolitude
My mother would deliberately arrange first-time visitors of Hong Kong to have afternoon tea at the IC (and not the Peninsula) simply for its remarkable view of the Victoria Harbour (through the hotel's glass walls). IC is worth it.
Interestingly, just been out around town trying a bunch of different tea sets! ICHK's normal tea set is alright, but definitely worth checking out (and something NO ONE was ordering while we were there) is their "Red Box" tea set - it's a selection of traditional and contemporary Chinese items presented as an afternoon tea, along with a selection of premium Chinese teas. Much preferred it to their normal set!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by agp423
I requested an upgrade to harbour view room for an extra 990HKD/night. Good deal!

Is cab the way to go for HKG - IC HK, or is there efficient public transportation?
For ICHK I'd definitely recommend taxi, either directly from HKG, or as Chinatrvl mentioned, take the Airport Express to Kowloon station and then a taxi from Kowloon station if cost is an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.