Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Shangri-La in Hong Kong: Kowloon or Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres

My girlfriend and I will be staying for three nights in Hong Kong in September for a tourist visit. I've been to HK twice and am thrilled to be coming back. Main interests during our stay will be touristy (peak, sitting buddha, temples/midlevels etc. in central, night markets, ...).

I don't normally travel to cities with a Shangri-La and after staying at the Manila Shangri-La, I want to stay at one again very much. Price is - relatively speaking - not an issue. We stayed in a Horizon Club room in Manila but, given the abundance of amazing food in HK, I doubt I'd do the Horizon Club in HK.

Between the Island Shangri-La and the Kowloon Shangri-La, which is recommended? Are they very different from one another? I've read reports that the rooms at the Island Shangri-La are a bit dated ... can anyone opine?

I believe they are both close to MTR entrances; any real difference in terms of quality of location (I tend to think of attractions as being fairly evenly split between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, esp. given that a Star Ferry ride is something we'd look forward to)? Admittedly, I've stayed in Kowloon on each of my prior visits ... do folks think we are missing out a bit by staying in Kowloon?

Thanks so much for thoughts. Much appreciated in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
My girlfriend and I will be staying for three nights in Hong Kong in September for a tourist visit. I've been to HK twice and am thrilled to be coming back. Main interests during our stay will be touristy (peak, sitting buddha, temples/midlevels etc. in central, night markets, ...).

I don't normally travel to cities with a Shangri-La and after staying at the Manila Shangri-La, I want to stay at one again very much. Price is - relatively speaking - not an issue. We stayed in a Horizon Club room in Manila but, given the abundance of amazing food in HK, I doubt I'd do the Horizon Club in HK.

Between the Island Shangri-La and the Kowloon Shangri-La, which is recommended? Are they very different from one another? I've read reports that the rooms at the Island Shangri-La are a bit dated ... can anyone opine?

I believe they are both close to MTR entrances; any real difference in terms of quality of location (I tend to think of attractions as being fairly evenly split between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, esp. given that a Star Ferry ride is something we'd look forward to)? Admittedly, I've stayed in Kowloon on each of my prior visits ... do folks think we are missing out a bit by staying in Kowloon?

Thanks so much for thoughts. Much appreciated in advance.
Island Shangri la usually more expensive and generally thought to be the better of the two. Both are solid 5 star hotels. Kowloon Shangri La, is still, however, a VERY good hotel. Their harbour view rooms (full harbour facing) are large and have fab views of Hong Kong harbour. Island Shangri La rooms I think are due a refurb and in standard (peak view rooms) you still get the bath / shower combo!

Island Shangri La has an outdoor pool whereas Kowloon Shangri La claims to have an indoor one - it is miniscule and only suitable for one person at a time - I don't think it technically is a swimming pool more like a large bath with jets to swim against.

If you're after a modern 5 star hotel have you thought about the Four Seasons? If you want really modern there's the Upper House which is adjacent to the Shangri La. The Intercontinental Hong Kong (not to be confused with the Intercontinental Grand Stamford) is also a very good contemporary choice with excellent harbour views.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Island Shangri la usually more expensive and generally thought to be the better of the two. Both are solid 5 star hotels. Kowloon Shangri La, is still, however, a VERY good hotel. Their harbour view rooms (full harbour facing) are large and have fab views of Hong Kong harbour. Island Shangri La rooms I think are due a refurb and in standard (peak view rooms) you still get the bath / shower combo!

Island Shangri La has an outdoor pool whereas Kowloon Shangri La claims to have an indoor one - it is miniscule and only suitable for one person at a time - I don't think it technically is a swimming pool more like a large bath with jets to swim against.

If you're after a modern 5 star hotel have you thought about the Four Seasons? If you want really modern there's the Upper House which is adjacent to the Shangri La. The Intercontinental Hong Kong (not to be confused with the Intercontinental Grand Stamford) is also a very good contemporary choice with excellent harbour views.
Thanks so much for the comments. I did consider the Four Seasons and IC but (I live in Denver and spend time in Seattle and San Fran a lot) part of the draw for me is staying at a hotel chain I can't stay in normally. We found the service at the Shangri-La Manila - both in and out of the Horizon Club - to be spectacular and I'm wanting to show off that unique mix of Asian style and hospitality to my girlfriend.

I think from your comments, I am inclined to stay at the Kowloon Shangri-La: the rooms are in the $300-$400 range, compared to $450-$600 at the Island. And the rooms on the Island website do look dated. Thanks again.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
All hotels I've ever stayed in Hong Kong are very different to those in the USA - even some of the 4 stars in HK can beat many of the 5 stars in the USA IMO. In all of the hotels I listed (and others including the Mandarin Oriental, Landmark Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula you will find the service you want.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:17 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Kettering Northants QC has pretty much got it spot on.

Regarding rooms, both rooms are a little dated in terms of furnishings and due an upgrade (especially for entry level rooms). Suites at Island Shangri-la are rather nice, haven't seen suites at Kowloon Shangri-la. However, I like the classic design at both. Island Shangri-la is a much better hotel overall.

One thing I will add though is that the food at Island Shangri-la is much better than at Kowloon Shangri-la, and also in the vicinity at Admiralty, you will find much better fine or upscale dining options. There are a few things to eat near Kowloon Shangri-la if you don't mind going local, but I don't think the hotel restaurants at the latter are any good/worth the splurge. No real fine dining within the vicinity.

If budget really isn't a problem, I would seriously consider the Mandarin Oriental or Peninsula, or even the Upper House (if you don't mind not having a pool/spa). I would also suggest the LMO, but I suspect you may want a view. However, I would definitely visit Amber there for dinner.

The IC in HK is very different to your perception of a standard InterContinental, so it's worth considering, especially noting budget/value - you could maybe swing a suite here for the price you'd pay for a standard-level room at LMO/UH/MO/FS/Pen. It has some of HK's greatest views and a good selection of restaurants. However, the entry level rooms are small and not the best in HK; its their suites that are fantastic.

Location wise, it is worth nothing that although Kowloon Shangri-la is 'above' an MTR station, TST East isn't exactly convenient - there aren't any tourist attractions nearby. You'll be walking a lot to get anywhere. Island Shangri-la is undoubtedly more convenient.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Jul 15, 2014 at 8:24 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deathscar
Location wise, it is worth nothing that although Kowloon Shangri-la is 'above' an MTR station, TST East isn't exactly convenient - there aren't any tourist attractions nearby. You'll be walking a lot to get anywhere. Island Shangri-la is undoubtedly more convenient.
+1. The occasion issue is key, and is the main reason for the difference in price.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:31 am

Views: advantage - Kowloon
At IS, I've only stayed at the Peak-facing room (pleasant view), but I've done Harbourview room at another Admiralty hotel and I will say that Harbour view is more stunning from the Kowloon side. KS's Harbourview room gives you a panoramic HKG skyline view through past Wan Chai to about Admiralty, but you do miss out on Central.

Transport access: Kowloon (for MTR)
When you walk out of KS's lobby, you're directly across Mody Rd from the entrance to TST station. Once you head down the entrance, you're met by a moving walkway which takes you straight to the main concourse area. Although KS seems far distance-wise from TST station, the proximity of the moving walkway means you're only 5-6min away from the train. Distance from IS to Admiralty station may be less, but there're more steps involved and I believe it takes a bit longer from IS to platform when all is said and done.
For the Peak Tram and Ocean Park express buses, IS is much better.
For Star Ferry, KS is much better.

Some folks here look down upon Kowloon in general, which is a personal taste. I personally enjoy the feel of TST. But I do also appreciate IS's relatively more sedate location near the HK Park and the surrounding greenery, as well as the direct access to Pacific Place. On the other hand, KS is directly connected via skybridge to the waterfront promenade which is one of the best strolls in HKG. Via scenic walk on the promenade, you're 10-15min away from Harbour City which blows away Pacific Place imo. I disagree that there's not a lot of eating options around KS. There're some good local places nearby, and lots of great restaurants within short walk in central TST and even in Harbour City.

Pool: IS
Second what Kettering Northants QC has mentioned on this.

Room: toss-up
Comparing standard-level Harborview room at KS vs Peak-view room at IS, they're comparable. Maybe KS's is a bit larger. I kind of see what deathcar is saying about the rooms feeling a bit dated, but nonetheless they're both 5-stars imo.

Food: ?
At KS, I've eaten at Shang Palace, Angelini and Cafe Too. At IS, I've only eaten at Cafe Kool. So it's hard for me to compare, except I'll say that Cafe Too and Kool are similar in quality, although Kool is a bit cheaper than Too. Shang Palace is solid dim sum. I've had a very nice antipasti/dessert buffet at Angelini, although I don't know if they do that anymore.

To OP: You can't go wrong with either location. I've stayed at Peninsula, etc, but there's something special and endearing about the Shangri-la brand.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Transport access: Kowloon (for MTR)
When you walk out of KS's lobby, you're directly across Mody Rd from the entrance to TST station. Once you head down the entrance, you're met by a moving walkway which takes you straight to the main concourse area. Although KS seems far distance-wise from TST station, the proximity of the moving walkway means you're only 5-6min away from the train. Distance from IS to Admiralty station may be less, but there're more steps involved and I believe it takes a bit longer from IS to platform when all is said and done.
For the Peak Tram and Ocean Park express buses, IS is much better.
For Star Ferry, KS is much better.
I must disagree with you here. Admiralty is heaps more convenient than TST East IMO (i.e. simply no comparison).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I must disagree with you here. Admiralty is heaps more convenient than TST East IMO (i.e. simply no comparison).
When I was writing about access to MTR from the respective hotels, I was talking about going from Kowloon Shangrila to TST Station, not to East TST Station. It's a cinch to get from KS to TST station for the aforementioned reason, despite the longer distance.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:51 am

When I was writing about access to MTR from the respective hotels, I was talking about going from Kowloon Shangrila to TST Station, not to East TST Station. It's a cinch to get from KS to TST station for the aforementioned reason, despite the longer distance.
I did both walks last week, and the former took at least twice as long as the latter. But, even if we call that point a wash, I don't know anyone who would claim that TST is a more useful MTR station than Admiralty.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:34 am

To OP: You can't go wrong with either location. I've stayed at Peninsula, etc, but there's something special and endearing about the Shangri-la brand.
I still remember my first stay at a Shang, singapore flagship location on our honeymoon. Fabulous and consistent brand.

BUT, if you can afford, stay at Upper House - at least once. Well worth the money!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:46 am

There are a lot of good 5* and high 4* hotels in Hong Kong.

I agree that Upper House is very good but not cheap.

I have stayed at the Kowloon Shangri La once a few years ago and I was very disappointed. I never returned. More recently, I have been staying at the Metropark Causeway Bay in one of their Executive Parlour room. This is a basic 4* hotel with good westerly harbour view, good access to public transportation and walking distance to Causeway Bay proper (Sogo, Time Square, etc.). One thing that I really like is that this hotel is located in a predominantly residential neighbourhood, so one gets a more local flavour than the busy touristy ones. It's nice to walk around the area near the hotel to check on the local shops and restaurants where locals frequent.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:01 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Clipper801
There are a lot of good 5* and high 4* hotels in Hong Kong.

I agree that Upper House is very good but not cheap.

I have stayed at the Kowloon Shangri La once a few years ago and I was very disappointed. I never returned. More recently, I have been staying at the Metropark Causeway Bay in one of their Executive Parlour room. This is a basic 4* hotel with good westerly harbour view, good access to public transportation and walking distance to Causeway Bay proper (Sogo, Time Square, etc.). One thing that I really like is that this hotel is located in a predominantly residential neighbourhood, so one gets a more local flavour than the busy touristy ones. It's nice to walk around the area near the hotel to check on the local shops and restaurants where locals frequent.
They have a cool pool too! I like the Tin Hau area if you don't mind going local (with the Tai Hang area nearby developing, there are quite a few international options too).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
What did you not like about the KSL?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
What did you not like about the KSL?
The room was fine but staff was somewhat rude and inattentive by Asian standard. I also don't like the smell of the special "Shangri La Fragrance" as you walk into the hotel. We dined at the Sheng Palace one evening. The food was mediocre and service was slow and inattentive. Transportation is inconvenient. Although the entrance to the TST East and TST MTR stations is just across the street, it's a very long walk to the station. Other modes of transportation are very restricted and every time, I had to tip the hotel doorman before he would flag a taxi for me. For an upper scale hotel in that general area, I'd consider the Sheraton, Hyatt, Icon, the Peninsula and Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel (the one near the Star Ferry pier) before I'd reconsider KSL. The IHC Salisbury is nice but not sure about the construction situation nearby. If you really want Shangri La, go to the one on the island. You may also want to check out JW Marriott and Conrad which are also in the same area (Admiralty). I personally find the general area of Tsim Sha Tsui East is "unattractive" for tourists. Having said that, if you have not been to Hong Kong recently, you should visit the Museum of History, walking distance from KSL. For some war history, check out the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.