Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Shangri-La in Hong Kong: Kowloon or Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La in Hong Kong: Kowloon or Island?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The room was fine but staff was somewhat rude and inattentive by Asian standard. I also don't like the smell of the special "Shangri La Fragrance" as you walk into the hotel. We dined at the Sheng Palace one evening. The food was mediocre and service was slow and inattentive. Transportation is inconvenient. Although the entrance to the TST East and TST MTR stations is just across the street, it's a very long walk to the station. Other modes of transportation are very restricted and every time, I had to tip the hotel doorman before he would flag a taxi for me. For an upper scale hotel in that general area, I'd consider the Sheraton, Hyatt, Icon, the Peninsula and Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel (the one near the Star Ferry pier) before I'd reconsider KSL. The IHC Salisbury is nice but not sure about the construction situation nearby. If you really want Shangri La, go to the one on the island. You may also want to check out JW Marriott and Conrad which are also in the same area (Admiralty). I personally find the general area of Tsim Sha Tsui East is "unattractive" for tourists. Having said that, if you have not been to Hong Kong recently, you should visit the Museum of History, walking distance from KSL. For some war history, check out the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defense.
Thanks very much. Very helpful. I've been to HK twice and stayed in Kowloon both times but I don't know that I've ever been to the TST/TST East area other than walking along the promenade, so I appreciate the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.