Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

"Same-Day" Return Fare on Airport Express=After 12am?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

On the same-day return fare for $100HK, the restriction as quoted:

"This ticket is valid on the date of issue only."

If I took one of the trains after 12am, would I need to buy a separate return ticket, or would it still be covered by my same-day return ticket?

EDIT: I was going to travel HKIA>Central on the evening of my arrival, then returning Central>HKIA on one of the last trains on the same operational day, so it sounds like the same-day fare should cover the above scenario.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jul 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
EDITED: NOT Covered. MTR is not a 24-hr except for a few days a year. Their "day" is from first train/bus at around 6am, till last train/bus at around 1am.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm Reason: Misread question.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Covered. MTR is not a 24-hr except for a few days a year. Their "day" is from first train/bus at around 6am, till last train/bus at around 1am.
Great, thank you for your answer... that's what I was hoping for!

As an aside, are the airport check-in counters staffed around the clock? I was hoping to pick up my AA BP around midnight, before I head back to HKG so that can enter the secured area and use the CX lounges early in the morning. A poster in the AA forum said that while they stopped by twice in the 24-hour period before their departure and the AA flight was posted on the screen, there was no position number assigned for check in.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SORRY!!! WRONG ANSWER in original posting as I misread your question. You cannot use the same-day return as your past-midnight ride is considered the previous day's.

AA has one flight a day and there will only be check-in counters for their flight from about 3 hours out. However, they should be electronic kiosks at the CX check-in aisles which MAY be able to handle other oneworld carriers. Others may know better.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

SORRY!!! WRONG ANSWER in original posting as I misread your question. You cannot use the same-day return as your past-midnight ride is considered the previous day's.

AA has one flight a day and there will only be check-in counters for their flight from about 3 hours out. However, they should be electronic kiosks at the CX check-in aisles which MAY be able to handle other oneworld carriers. Others may know better.
Sorry, I actually liked your first answer, so I reject your updated answer

Actually, I was asking about taking the train to Central at ~6:30pm, and return ~12am, so I believe, based on your answer, that the same-day return fare would apply. I was planning on staying at HKIA for the remainder of my time.

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the updates!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is what happens when I'm rushing out the door!

I meant to ask about the check-in counters at Central Station... are those staffed around the clock?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXative
This is what happens when I'm rushing out the door!

I meant to ask about the check-in counters at Central Station... are those staffed around the clock?
Those are staffed from before the first train in the morning till late in the evening. Not sure what time they close, but not 24-hours.

But doesn't matter. AA does not offer previous day in-town check-in.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.