Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship + entry/exit on foreign passport

Old May 20, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Had some useful stuff on here re Home Return Permit (HRP) and wanted to ask another question.

Firstly, for everyone that stumbles across this thread later on- I have found absolutely no problems entering China from another country (ie not HK or Macau), as long as you entered that country originally using your HKSAR passport. Eg if I fly China --> UK and enter UK using my HKSAR passport, when I return from UK --> China it's fine for me to re-enter China using my HRP. There is an entry/exit stamp in my HKSAR passport from British customs. NB I have never had my HKSAR passport checked on return from the UK, Chinese customs have only ever been interested in my HRP (approx 10-15 times so far). This has been the same for me flying in from any other country where I have used my HKSAR passport exclusively, only my HRP has ever been looked at.

However, I also hold a British passport. I'm now having the issue that I wish to fly to the US from China - with an ESTA visa via my British passport (visa waiver program, so I avoid the hefty visa fee etc for HKSAR passport holders), so I will have to exit China using HRP, and enter US using British passport. When I return to China, no idea if they will want to see how I entered/exited the US - and find that I have no entry/exit stamp into US in my HKSAR passport (because I used my British passport)

Does anyone know if this is do-able?!? Will it cause issues? Additionally - which passport do I use to purchase my flight?! (I'm leaning towards HKSAR passport)

According to HKSAR rules, HK citizens can carry other foreign passports, if using them as travel documents only ie no dual nationality. HK citizens in China using their HRP for instance would still count as Chinese citizens. But do mainland Chinese customs recognise foreign passports as 'travel documents'?

I am concerned that they will remove my HRP!

Similar anecdotal experience welcomed please!
Old May 20, 2014, 10:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I've never had any PRC exit-entry administration official ever ask for the passport I used to get here, even if it is not patently obvious I arrived from Hong Kong (e.g. at PEK or PVG where HK flights land with non-HK flights).

In PVG you might even use the echannel where there is no opportunity for a passport inspection.

I think there's a note on Wiki's page on HRP that says new HRPs carry statement "This card is intended for its holder to travel to the mainland of China."

The air carrier on the US end will check your HRP (so it's best you have the new one with that statement) and the air carrier on the China end will check the ETA on your UK passport. I don't advertise the fact I have a foreign passport and a HRP, but I hardly doubt the air carrier on the China end is required to report it either.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Be aware that you have to have a "British Citizen" passport (with "European Union" written on the front cover) in order to use ESTA. They won't accept the "British National (Overseas)" passport that many HK citizens have.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Be aware that you have to have a "British Citizen" passport (with "European Union" written on the front cover) in order to use ESTA. They won't accept the "British National (Overseas)" passport that many HK citizens have.
OP sounds like he already has ESTA.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The HKSAR passport is largely irrelevant in terms of entering/exiting China. You need one to apply for a new HRP (since late 1990s). You need one to deal with Chinese consular officials abroad. But for entering/exiting China the only relevant document is your HRP.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone- I fly tomorrow so will keep you posted if any issues! Yes- have full British passport.^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:08 am

i am a UK, NZ, HK passport holder with HKID and HRP, a few weeks ago i flew AKL - PVG and entered using the HRP, i was asked where i came from and i said NZ, no further questions asked

i do have an APEC card linked to my NZ passport so thats my insurance i guess.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:56 pm

Also an interesting bit of information - HK Immigration has a large database and can match name, birthday etc during entry/exit. Many HKers may leave on HKID and come in with foreign passport (if they lose the HKID overseas) but HKI can easily detect these things.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC silver, CX gold, FB ivory
Dear All

I have a similar question.

I am a UK citizen and my wife also a UK citizen but she also holds a Hong Kong passport and has a HKSAR re-entry permit for travel to mainland China. We live in England.

We will be flying from London to PVG and onwards to Sichuan and I have applied for my visa. Clearly she does not need a visa if she uses her re-entry permit to gain entry into PRC.

Her airline ticket is booked using her UK passport. Will the airline let her get on the plane from LHR-PVG given that she has no Chinese visa in her UK passport? Will the re-entry permit suffice?

Presumably if you provide advance passenger information to the Chinese authorities they would 'expect' her to arrive using her UK passport.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by zanskar
Her airline ticket is booked using her UK passport. Will the airline let her get on the plane from LHR-PVG given that she has no Chinese visa in her UK passport? Will the re-entry permit suffice?
Yes it should.

It would help if your wife as the new re-entry permit with the statement: "This card is intended for its holder to travel to the mainland of China." . But the legal status of old and new pass is the same, the statement only clarifies existing law for (occassionally feckless) check-in agents.

The fact your wife has both a UK passport and PRC nationality is legal under the 1996 "explanation" of PRC Nationality Law which effectively rewrote the Nationality Law (common from a common law jurisdiction I love the way how State Council "explanations" can override statute law - a PRC colleague essentially told me to read the sources of law in LIFO order and not trace the source of law as I usually would in Australia/HK) http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...se/law.htm#nat.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://www.klm.com/travel/CA_en/pre...c/visaform.htm

National Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)
Destination China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a "Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents" (pink credit-card format).

Visa required, except for Holders of a "Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents" (pink credit-card format) .
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC silver, CX gold, FB ivory
Thanks all- great info

That sounds reassuring.

The only possible issue I guess is that she is checking in on a UK passport without a Chinese visa.

From what you are saying though she should be able to show her pink card re-entry permit to the BA check in staff and hopefully they would know it qualifies her to get into PRC.

We will arrive with plenty of time to give an opportunity to check it out. Your KLM link may be helpful too.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by zanskar
From what you are saying though she should be able to show her pink card re-entry permit to the BA check in staff and hopefully they would know it qualifies her to get into PRC.
Any airline that has Chinese-speaking check-in staff should have no problems recognizing the card. A non-gateway check-in or another non-China-flying airline may be a problem.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Any airline that has Chinese-speaking check-in staff should have no problems recognizing the card. A non-gateway check-in or another non-China-flying airline may be a problem.
OTOH such staff will have zero knowledge of PRC Nationality Law either. Give them the Timatic printout and the wiki page on Home Return Permits (just for the picture), tell them its the equivalent of Green Card for PRC. They'll be none the wiser.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Was in the same situation before (destination PVG), my case is even more complicated (got married and changed my surname and but didn't update the HKID/SAR passport):

You need to show your UK passport + return permit. Your wife can get on board, then when she goes through immigration, she only needs her return permit. They will ask which flight she is coming from, just tell her the airline.

When she leaves, she will be asked to show another ID rather than the home return permit, I showed the officer my HKSAR passport (the best document since it's doesn't require a visa to travel to the UK) together with my BP.

Your wife will be through before you - so make sure you agree on a spot for her to wait for you, or she can meet you at the luggage belt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.