Search

runways at HKIA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
runways at HKIA

Does anyone know/remember the directions for take offs and landings on the parallel runways in HKIA? Any way to know beforehand so I can choose window seats facing the terminal? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This is not really a Cathay Pacific question so I'm moving it to the Hong Kong forum.

To answer your question though, there is no set pattern as to which direction your plane will land or take off, or which runway it will use. It depends on the weather at the time of landing/departure.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Somewhere between two-thirds and three-fourths of the times I fly out of HKG, they take off heading toward the east so that the terminal views are on the left. But as sxc suggests, it's impossible to predict with any certainty.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
As has been pointed out, no way to know, but on the off-chance that you come in over HK on landing, I would take a window seat on the left-hand side of the aircraft. Flight path dependent, you might get a fantastic view of HK Island just before final approach. As always, YMMV.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
sxc is correct. About 3/4 of the time, they use the 7s. The approach is from the South, going north between Lantau and Macau before making the 70-degree right turn for landing on 7L. You would be off the runway by the time you see the main terminal.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If I recall, they are parallel runways with the terminal in between, so depending on if you are going to use L or R, the terminal could be on either side.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:26 pm

Normal pattern is land 7L, takeoff 7R. If the wind shifts the other way 'round, it's land 25R, takeoff 25L. I've never seen a landing on 25L; I have landed on 7R, but only very early am (0400 -- 0600).

Which is to say, you will never see the terminal complex from the air if you sit on the right side......

Last edited by Bitterroot; Mar 28, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.