Eyeglasses made in HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eyeglasses made in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Eyeglasses made in HKG

I was told by my eye doctor a few years back that HKG was a good place to save $$ on prescription eyeglasses. She said it was cheaper than she could get from her distributor ( before she marked up for her customers). Has anyone had experience with this or have a recommendation on a place to get them done?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:04 pm

My wife had a pair made in MongKok for about $60USD, frames and high perscription lenses included.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:18 pm

I can Highly recommend Sherra Wong, Centerpoint, Shop 52, G/F Mirador Mansions. Very friendly and a professional optician. Good value for money.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:40 am

There is an older thread on the same here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...yeglasses.html.

I made a recommendation [#12 post], and our family still uses them whenever we make a trip over. Honest, reliable, good quality and value.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Yes, we always get prescription eyeglasses in HKG. Remember to go first 1-2 days after you land. Sometimes it'll take up to a week to get it back.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
One thing to watch out for is that many shops in HK like to 'stretch out' the PD (pupillary distance) measurement. Why? Almost all of their clientele don't want Coke bottle glasses and stretching out the PD has the effect of thinning out the lenses. This may end up as either blurriness or giving you headaches in the long-term.

Note, I said "may".
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Indeed shops there would do all kinds of tricks to make the lenses thin, or to keep prices low, including using CR-39 (plastic) lenses for rimless applications, which is not done(or illegal) in many jurisdictions for safety reasons. Or the lenses are so thin they crack during normal cleaning.

I have also bought 60USD pair with high index lenses. They are no-name Chinese lenses with outdated lens geometry. You cannot get those lenses in North America.

Name brand quality lenses are not particularly cheap, especially progressive lenses - but that also depends on who you compare with in North America.

Frames are cheaper in HK for sure.

Last edited by beep88; Jan 31, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
Indeed shops there would do all kinds of tricks to make the lenses thin, or to keep prices low, including using CR-39 (plastic) lenses for rimless applications, which is not done(or illegal) in many jurisdictions for safety reasons. Or the lenses are so thin they crack during normal cleaning.

I have also bought 60USD pair with high index lenses. They are no-name Chinese lenses with outdated lens geometry. You cannot get those lenses in North America.

Name brand quality lenses are not particularly cheap, especially progressive lenses - but that also depends on who you compare with in North America.

Frames are cheaper in HK for sure.
2 years ago my husband had a pair made in a shop our friend uses. It is progressive lenses with Titanium frame. The lenses are made by a factory that is authorized by Rodenstock as its repair facility for HKG only. He also opted for Transition Lenses. The cost was USD200ish, but still 1/3 cheaper than comparable pair made in US. He said it was very comfortable wearing it.

I dont know about other folks, but for me, I would research a bit on the manufacturers of the lenses the shops recommend before ordering a pair.

We had a long trip to Asia in Dec/Jan. I had a pair of progressive glasses made in Kuala Lumpur, not high index as the optician said it was not enough time to get it done. Light weight plastic frame and plastic lenses which aint too thin either due to my prescription. However it is quite comfortable and only costs USD115. I dont think you can get that in HKG.

There is a mid range price shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur called SG Wang, not far from Pavilion Mall, it is full of optical shops and clothing shops. I found the recommendation from TripAdvisor Kuala Lumpur using key words of prescription glasses.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> The cost was USD200ish, but still 1/3 cheaper than comparable pair made in US.

A pair of progressive lenses from my optician costs 800 non-negotiable, while the exact same pair from any optical store in Asian malls in Toronto costs 300, asking price. How do you know it's the same? Because you can look at the hidden trademark/model/prescription on the finished lenses. Obviously this example is specific to my prescription strength, high index 1.74, and brand.

So even prices in North America vary greatly.

No name frames from China are dirt cheap, under 20USD wholesale, including many labelled "titanium".

>> The lenses are made by a factory that is authorized by Rodenstock as its repair facility for HKG only.

According to who? This is such a familiar sales pitch used locally.

Another common tactic is "oh you are good friend of a longtime/big customer, so you get a better discount". The exact opposite is true (unless that longtime/big customer is actually present, maybe) and I have tested this in different shops.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 2, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You might try a "wholesale" optical shop at home as beep88 mentions. I use one at home that does their own which makes it very cheap ($180 for a simple set - $200 for bifocals). The chain shops give you the premium experience and nice settings with all sorts of guarantees but they get you for the prices. 3x as much in my case for their basic level of product.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
One thing to watch out for is that many shops in HK like to 'stretch out' the PD (pupillary distance) measurement. Why? Almost all of their clientele don't want Coke bottle glasses and stretching out the PD has the effect of thinning out the lenses. This may end up as either blurriness or giving you headaches in the long-term.

Note, I said "may".
I thought it was narrowing the PD. Experienced this from a prescription from an ophthalmologist at that. Definitely something to watch for.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It actually depends if the PD is "inside" or "outside" the center of the frame's lens.

And, looking locally is the best bet - if you know where to look. There's a particular store in an Asian mall in YVR that gives GREAT discounts, even on well known brands.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I can Highly recommend Sherra Wong, Centerpoint, Shop 52, G/F Mirador Mansions. Very friendly and a professional optician. Good value for money.
I can second this recommendation. Found her shop (before she moved down the hall) walking through one day to escape the rain and have been returning ever since 2008.

Her prices are a bit higher than what you can find in MongKok (likely due to the location of her shop in TST on Nathan Road) but the service is rare for HK. She will spend much time adjusting or even replacing if necessary which is not the norm in Asia. Usually as soon as you pay, you're stuck.

She carries a good selection and can always order frames from the designers she doesn't have in stock. Compared to the US, we usually save 40-50% for the set.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by silver-tls

She carries a good selection and can always order frames from the designers she doesn't have in stock. Compared to the US, we usually save 40-50% for the set.
GREAT! Thanks for your input here. Glad i won't have to search the city for a good place to get eyeglasses. We have a vacation week in HK in a month with not much to do. Are there any other good shops that you have found in HK?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thehoax
GREAT! Thanks for your input here. Glad i won't have to search the city for a good place to get eyeglasses. We have a vacation week in HK in a month with not much to do. Are there any other good shops that you have found in HK?
I'd avoid Optical88 as that is a chain similar to Lenscrafters in the US with prices to match.

Only tried one other shop in TST (since closed) but haven't found the need to go anywhere else. You can even bring your old frames and just get lenses or vice versa if you want new frames (provided they fit).
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Another SE Asia price point.

Given that the local frames (ie Perth) seem to last only a couple of years, I decided to keep and re-use Rayban frames (Which I have had last a long as 15 years). Though locally the shops really do want to sell you new frames.

Tinted (sunglasses and driving glasses) lenses at the optical shop of a private eye hospital in Colombo were US$27/pair and required three working days.

From various retail shops, both genuine and "fake" frames were available. I suspect in this case, you would get what you pay for.

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.