Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in HKG - Plaza Premium Lounge or a hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I reach HKG after midnight and my connecting flight is in the afternoon. Can anyone please tell me if one can sleep comfortably in Plaza Premium lounge (I have the Amex Platinum card). Or should I book a hotel room?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

If $$ isn't an issue, of course I would book a hotel room.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:01 am

Up to the date for your arrival, if you are going to travel in end of January, it will be a peak season of Chinese New Year holiday. Very hard for you to get a hotel room, suggest to book in advance.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:16 pm

Find some lounge chairs, HKIA has some resting areas with nice lounge chairs and decent privacy.

Otherwise if money isn't a big deal then of course hotel. I don't think the lounges are really that condusive to sleeping.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Plaza Premium arrival lounge have short term sleeping facilities for rent.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I have a flight arriving into HKG around midnight of 3 May 2014 and leaving in morning at 7.30am. Was trying to book the 3 hotels near the airport and noted that the rates are around UD400 a night for 2 persons. Is the rates that expensive now as I don't recall paying that rate a couple of years ago? Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:09 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by hclee01
I have a flight arriving into HKG around midnight of 3 May 2014 and leaving in morning at 7.30am. Was trying to book the 3 hotels near the airport and noted that the rates are around UD400 a night for 2 persons. Is the rates that expensive now as I don't recall paying that rate a couple of years ago? Thanks.
Might be a convention or something special in town that day - I helped book the Regal at the Airport for a friend a couple of weeks back and it was around US$220 incl. taxes.

The Marriott is more expensive as I recall anyway...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by deathscar
Might be a convention or something special in town that day - I helped book the Regal at the Airport for a friend a couple of weeks back and it was around US$220 incl. taxes.

The Marriott is more expensive as I recall anyway...
Thanks. Only noticed that there is a SAT examination at Asiaworld Expo during that period, which should have pushed the prices up that high. Will monitor and hopefully it will come down a bit.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Not about convention, but May Day week with plenty of Chinese shoppers coming down to HK.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Not about convention, but May Day week with plenty of Chinese shoppers coming down to HK.
Ok.. thanks. Was checking the hotels downtown and it is still reasonably priced. Was just curious that the ones near HK is so highly priced. Just that if I book those in town area, I will have to factor in the travelling time to get to and fro airport.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a 730am departure you might not be able to take the first AE.

Look at sleeping in the plaza premium arrival lounge. With just a few hours that might be the best option. There are private spaces with shower and buffet breakfast.

I did the shower and breakfast buffet upon arrival when I needed to head to HK Funeral home immediately for family revetment. Shower, massage, suit/shirt pressing and breakfast was $600.

Check their website for your sleeping hours' pricing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by tentseller

Look at sleeping in the plaza premium arrival lounge. With just a few hours that might be the best option. There are private spaces with shower and buffet breakfast.
Thanks! I will be travelling with a friend. Any idea if the room is for single occupancy or twice occupancy? I have emailed to them earlier today, but have yet to hear from them.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did the shower and breakfast buffet upon arrival when I needed to head to HK Funeral home immediately for family revetment. Shower, massage, suit/shirt pressing and breakfast was $600.

Check their website for your sleeping hours' pricing.
Originally Posted by hclee01
Thanks! I will be travelling with a friend. Any idea if the room is for single occupancy or twice occupancy? I have emailed to them earlier today, but have yet to hear from them.
The room I got has privet shower, single bed, massage chair. I was also able to bring breakfast in for private dining.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The room I got has privet shower, single bed, massage chair. I was also able to bring breakfast in for private dining.
Was it a private room with a real bed or cot to sleep in? I have the same issue of arriving late/leaving early and I was leaning towards just getting a room in town since I am skeptical of how much sleep I could get in a lounge.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SMF2SAN
Was it a private room with a real bed or cot to sleep in? I have the same issue of arriving late/leaving early and I was leaning towards just getting a room in town since I am skeptical of how much sleep I could get in a lounge.
Private room with a door and a IMHO real bed was what I booked.

There are semi-private beds as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.