Search

Overnight layover in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Hahahaha. So no substantial roller coasters or thrilling adventure stuff?

How about the Aviation Discovery Center at HKIA?
Hi,

Disneyland Hong kong odes have space mountain and the equivalent of big Thunder rail road. It is a smaller themepark ( smaller than disneyland) but it was interesting to visit it once

Ocean park hong kong does have a few thrill rides

https://www.oceanpark.com.hk/en/park...ce/attractions

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Not a suggestion but an additional question about something to do near the airport:

What is the opinion about the Ngong Ping Cable Cars?

I would be interested mainly because I like cable cars.
I am not interested in the themed things mentioned on the website but is it possible to go for a short, nice walk with a view or something or is it just a waste of time and money?

I'm not on a short lay-over but spending my last night in HK in the Marriott airport hotel and thought I might want to see a bit of Lantau Island.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:52 am

I haven't actually taken the cable car, but I've seen the route and been to Ngong Ping years before it was built. I'd say if you're in that area, have the time and have the money, then you'd probably enjoy the trip, at least if the weather is good. That area of Lantau is very green and very attractive with the hills.

Only thing I don't know is whether crowds of tourists have spoiled it.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:11 am

Thank you.
I'll note that down as a possibility then if I decide to go to the airport hotel earlier in the day and not spent the last afternoon, evening on the HK island (or rather if my son decides that he would like to get a good view of the Lantau Island - I don't think he has explored there yet).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Hahahaha. So no substantial roller coasters or thrilling adventure stuff?
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Disneyland Hong kong odes have space mountain and the equivalent of big Thunder rail road. It is a smaller themepark ( smaller than disneyland) but it was interesting to visit it once

Ocean park hong kong does have a few thrill rides

https://www.oceanpark.com.hk/en/park...ce/attractions

Regards

TBS
MEH

The most thrilling ride in HK is Bus 15 upper level front row on the way down from the peak at night.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:20 am

Bus 9 down to Shek O is pretty great.

And if you're going to spend that day on HK Island, Shek O itself is also pretty great. Fine place for lunch at a beachside cafe.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Bus 9 down to Shek O is pretty great.

And if you're going to spend that day on HK Island, Shek O itself is also pretty great. Fine place for lunch at a beachside cafe.
My second choice. Bus 15 has the night view of Hong Kong.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by helosc
Not a suggestion but an additional question about something to do near the airport:

What is the opinion about the Ngong Ping Cable Cars?

I would be interested mainly because I like cable cars.
I am not interested in the themed things mentioned on the website but is it possible to go for a short, nice walk with a view or something or is it just a waste of time and money?

I'm not on a short lay-over but spending my last night in HK in the Marriott airport hotel and thought I might want to see a bit of Lantau Island.
Notice to self and others :
The cable cars are not running from the 14. Nov to the 21. Nov due to maintenance.
The exact time that I'm in Hong Kong so no cable cars for me....
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by helosc
Notice to self and others :
The cable cars are not running from the 14. Nov to the 21. Nov due to maintenance.
The exact time that I'm in Hong Kong so no cable cars for me....
Hi,

Thanks for the update, I get into HKG on the 20th so will plan my visit for later in the weak ( subject to weather)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Surely - must do the upper deck, front rows preferred on #15 bus coming down from the Peak, weather permitting for best views.

Otherwise, something different & off the beaten path - how about a trip out to the old Kai Tak, now Cruise Terminal - open since 2013 and November is another busy month for ships calling & doing turnarounds - can't help on how good the cafe, restaurants & bars on site are. Terminal has free WiFi (not that most FT's typically worried about) and has a rooftop garden.

KMB Bus 5R route added 3 months ago with limited services. Otherwise, Green PMB (Public Mini Bus) No. 86 connecting from Kwun Tung and Ngau Tau Kok MTR Station - good for someone familiar with using Octopus Card to get around town. Click on the link & check the posted cruise schedule - might catch one of the ships visiting http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com..../getting-here/

Revised urban planning now calling (?? from a news scan I read recently) for 2 high-rise hotels practically onsite, next to the cruise terminal as part of the mixed-use commercial/residential development ... eastern Kowloon not going to be the same going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.