Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Carrying Baby Milk formula to China

Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold

I (HKPID holder and AUS citizen) am planning for a trip with my better half (AUS citizen) and Infant Edison (AUS citizen) in September. Looking to travel:

- SYD-NRT, staying in Tokyo for a few days;
- HND-HKG, staying in Hong Kong for a few days;
- HKG-CAN on train, staying in Guangzhou for a few days;
- I come back to SYD via HKG.
- My wife and Infant Edison will come back a month later staying in Guangzhou with family.

However, recent legislation in HK worries me, in regard to carrying baby milk powder across border from HKG to China:

http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/whats_new/API/index.html

Infant Edison has special formula requirements which we are looking to bring a number of cans from Australia, and we do not intend to buy any formula in HK. Does anyone have any experience in this? Did the customs confiscated the milk powder? Or do I have to do TYO-CAN first, then we do CAN-HKG and back to CAN just to avoid the issue with the milk powder "export"?

Last edited by kamchatsky; Jun 11, 2013 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:41 am
Suspended

How many cans were you planning to bring?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
How many cans were you planning to bring?
Looking to bring 7-8 * 900g cans between all three of us. But one is infant so I don't think it counts, so really 2 adults.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:40 am

MANY years ago, we brought one case of ready-to-feed plus one case of powder when moving to Singapore....we were living out of hotel for first week and not sure of what was available locally.

Recent legislation is probably the result of folks bringing in large volume of infant formula for either re-sale or to give to parents who don't trust local stuff. If you're traveling with an infant, I doubt they will hassle you for a reasonable amount.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by edison
Looking to bring 7-8 * 900g cans between all three of us. But one is infant so I don't think it counts, so really 2 adults.
It's been a while since I've had to make formula, but my recollection is that a 1kg packet lasted about a month. That looks like an awful lot of formula!

However, that being said, since you have a bona fide baby with you (assuming they're not 3 or 4 years old, and customs won't believe you if you say they drink formula), even if the milk powder is discovered, they will let you off.

The rules are not just HKG specific -- it's for all of China -- and it's to discourage smuggling of foreign formula for re-sale. Since you plan on using it yourself (and don't carry too big an excess), I don't think you're breaking any laws.

tb
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
This is the specific law of HK that we're talking about.

If you read the above linked page, you'll see that since the baby is leaving HK with you, you are exempt if you can show that the baby is staying in China for the mentioned period.

But does the baby need that much milk powder in a month? Between the two of you, you can already take 3.6kg without the extra exemption.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jun 11, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Probably that regulation in HKG stems from the massive purchase of baby formula by chinese all around the world. Australia had a sudden shortage, and Safeway and Coles had to ration sales due to mass private export to PRC. Understandable given the adulteration and deaths that occured from the tainted formula in the PRC. I can imagine that HKG was much more hit. Unfortunately the regulation doesn't exempt formula that is re-exported rather than purchased in HKG, but if you carry receipts with you showing the formula came from Australia rather than HKG it might be sufficient. Otherwise fines tend to be strictly enforced, so maybe flying from Japan to PRC directly is a good idea.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
This is the specific law of HK that we're talking about.

If you read the above linked page, you'll see that since the baby is leaving HK with you, you are exempt if you can show that the baby is staying in China for the mentioned period.

But does the baby need that much milk powder in a month? Between the two of you, you can already take 3.6kg without the extra exemption.
Sorry, I hadn't read the link, but the general advice is the same: take a reasonable amount of formula for the length of the stay. 3.6k is far more than enough I would have thought, at any rate.

tb

PS OP, not meaning to cast aspersions, but is the formula all really intended for your child, or are you also bringing some for relatives? If the latter, I would urge caution, but note that flying direct to the mainland still contravenes Chinese import of baby formula legislation.

Last edited by trueblu; Jun 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm Reason: PS
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
Sorry, I hadn't read the link, but the general advice is the same: take a reasonable amount of formula for the length of the stay. 3.6k is far more than enough I would have thought, at any rate.

tb

PS OP, not meaning to cast aspersions, but is the formula all really intended for your child, or are you also bringing some for relatives? If the latter, I would urge caution, but note that flying direct to the mainland still contravenes Chinese import of baby formula legislation.
It is definitely only for infant edison, as we are thinking of staying there for 6 weeks instead of 4. it is special formula which I could only get via prescription. Hence I need to bring more than enough.

So what you are saying is that even if HKG customs is OK for it, but China customs can seize it anyway?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:11 am

It is definitely only for infant edison, as we are thinking of staying there for 6 weeks instead of 4. it is special formula which I could only get via prescription. Hence I need to bring more than enough.

So what you are saying is that even if HKG customs is OK for it, but China customs can seize it anyway?
I can't quote you legislation, since it's all in Chinese, but my understanding (from reading news sites etc.) is that limits are in place.

Having said all that, if you are staying for 6 weeks, and you bring in enough for say 7 weeks, no immigration official is going to confiscate the formula -- it is clearly for 'personal' consumption! I would be reluctant to check it in, however, since this would be easy to nab from hold luggage, and reasonably high value and easy to sell on.

tb
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Probably that regulation in HKG stems from the massive purchase of baby formula by chinese all around the world. Australia had a sudden shortage, and Safeway and Coles had to ration sales due to mass private export to PRC. Understandable given the adulteration and deaths that occured from the tainted formula in the PRC. I can imagine that HKG was much more hit. Unfortunately the regulation doesn't exempt formula that is re-exported rather than purchased in HKG, but if you carry receipts with you showing the formula came from Australia rather than HKG it might be sufficient. Otherwise fines tend to be strictly enforced, so maybe flying from Japan to PRC directly is a good idea.
Yes I know about Australia had shortage a while back and a lot of suburbs had to ration on milk powder. It mainly focussed on Chinese dominated suburb though. It actually didn't affect us in suburb where I lived. So I know the intention of the legislation as I watch Apple Daily news on my iPad and my Samsung Note 10.1.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You should carry a copy of the prescription and a letter from your baby's doctor that specifies the need for this special formula.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should carry a copy of the prescription and a letter from your baby's doctor that specifies the need for this special formula.
If it is a special needs formula available by prescription only then not only carry a copy of the doctors RX order but also have the Pharmacist/Chemist label them as such with Edison Jr's name and you will not have any customs problems.

Mrs Tentseller is RXseller
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:57 am

I (HKPID holder and AUS citizen)
However, recent legislation in HK worries me, in regard to carrying baby milk powder across border from HKG to China:

http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/whats_new/API/index.html
Just a suggestion. Rather than ask us for an answer based on our assumptions, why don't you email the FHB (Food & Health Bureau) for an official answer. On your above link, there is an email link to the FHB. I would carry a copy of the FBH reply to your questions. Just my two cents. Safe Travels!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My 2 cents.

Based on how I read the law, I come up with the following:

1. Customs Declaration

You must declare (through Red Channel) that you have the formula with you when you enter Hong Kong. In that case, Hong Kong Customs will know that when you enter Hong Kong, you have formula with you for consumption.

This may not do anything significantly. However, in case of trouble, at least you can argue the formula is not exported from Hong Kong, but Australia.

2. Unseal Container

Before you leave Hong Kong, throw away all containers and use something (a plastic box, or a ziplock bag) to hold the powder.

The law allows you to bring a reasonable quantity of powder out of Hong Kong when it is not in a seal container. The definition of reasonable is unknown. But if they are in a unseal box/bag, at the least the Customs knows you bring it for personal consumption (as there is no way you can sell the powder like that).

With both, I can't guarantee, but the Customs will have a difficulty to pin something on you.

Also - others' suggestion about prescription formula is also good idea as well (especially you have to show it when you declare it, so that they can have a record).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.