Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Carrying Baby Milk formula to China

Carrying Baby Milk formula to China

Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Baby formula should be store in sealed container - imagine how much they will clog together when it's humid (even in Sept).

I doubt that they will do anything since you have an infant with you and that you have a reasonable amount of it for personal consumption then you should be fine.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Just a suggestion. Rather than ask us for an answer based on our assumptions, why don't you email the FHB (Food & Health Bureau) for an official answer. On your above link, there is an email link to the FHB. I would carry a copy of the FBH reply to your questions. Just my two cents. Safe Travels!
Yes my wife sent email to FHB a week ago, and all we hear is silence ........
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:06 am

I heard they are pretty strict with this rule. What you could do is to send the powder from japan to china mainland. Its legal to import as many as you want to mainland, its just not legal to export it from Hongkong. Even a sidetrip from Hongkong to Macau and then heading to mainland should help you, because there is no simular rule there.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by edison
Yes my wife sent email to FHB a week ago, and all we hear is silence ........
Fully understand your concerns, but chances of a problem are almost 0%. Bring your Rx, have them put a special label "for Edison only", and enjoy your travels.

Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
The definition of reasonable is unknown. But if they are in a unseal box/bag, at the least the Customs knows you bring it for personal consumption (as there is no way you can sell the powder like that).
But then the custom might start wondering what kind of "powder" it is
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nacho
Baby formula should be store in sealed container - imagine how much they will clog together when it's humid (even in Sept).
The law says it this way. So even the idea is stupid, it is still a valid way.

(I do agree that the idea is not great either.)

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
But then the custom might start wondering what kind of "powder" it is
I believe that the Customs has fast testing kits for narcotics. So if they wonder, let them.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
My 2 cents.

Before you leave Hong Kong, throw away all containers and use something (a plastic box, or a ziplock bag) to hold the powder..
Way more fun for him to carry several bags of white powder through customs.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Way more fun for him to carry several bags of white powder through customs.
Baby formula is not in white, but a "milky" color.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold

Last edited by h1ghfly3r; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:12 am Reason: wrong forum
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My observations. Sorry you're not going to like them.

1. It doesn't matter if a prescription is required in Australia - in order for the prescription exception (if any ever existed) it must be registered here https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/pr...FieldAction.do - I highly doubt it is (I searched for Neocate)

2. Reasonable quantity exception only applies if you and your missus leave HK within 24 hours. And it should be enough for the duration of the travel only http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/whats_new/API/index.html . If you are >24h in HK then 1.8KG/adult is your limit.

3. I do not believe China Customs will stop you if you can get it to the Chinese border without HK confiscation. I'm not sure what the duty-free limits are (it's either 5KG or RMB5,000 per person) but I suppose you and your missus will count for two limits so your 7.2KG of powder should be fine.

(Not that I'm encouraging OP to test this) but how are the regulations enforced at HKIA? Passengers walk through customs officials at the land and ferry crossings but at HKIA how would Customs inspect luggage? Pull the passenger who checked in >1.8KG milk powder at the gate?

All the controls (at least those I can see) are focused on what passengers can bring *into* HK. What is there to control what passengers can bring out (other than scaring them through loudspeakers)?

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 10, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I've just crossed Shenzhen bay crossing back into hk, doing something with moondog (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post23520894). I saw four customs officers and taking a chance I chatted one up about milk rule. He was happy to chat with me about the rule:

Me: "My SIL is taking my nephew from Sydney to here and then to Guangzhou. She's contemplating bringing 8 cans of powder. They are prescribed in Aus, but I don't think they are prescribed in HK. Can she?"
HK officer: "No exception. If it's for infant 36 months or less we will count it against the two can limit (cans in HK are 900g). Prescription in Australia or anywhere else in the world is irrelevant to us. In practice we will allow two cans per adult *plus a third can if it is opened and partially consumed*."
Me: "the third can is really a convenience right?"
Hk officer: "yes"
Me: "Just one more. It doesn't matter if the milk is not made of dairy right (I elaborated it as liquid with extracted fat - I really can't translate amino acids into Cantonese, not having attended local school here)"
Hk officer: "I dooooon't...think that matters"
Me: "Nourishes the child" right?
Hk officer: "Yes"
HK officer: "Can you suggest your SIL do this? Land in hk, take the airport ferry to Shekou so she never enters HK border on the way in, road travel from Shekou to Guangzhou first then come down? They (china customs) don't care how many cans she brings in *or out*, and we don't care how many can she brings in, only out"
Me: "Great hint. I must pass it on".

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.