Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy luggage in HK

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm trying to buy a "TRAVELPRO FLIGHT CREW 4 20" ROLLABOARD" and thinking when I go to HK might be a good time to do it.

I'll be staying a few nights on HK Island in Causeway Bay then a couple of nights in TST.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where I might be able to find this bag and or something similar? (good carry on with a bit of quality that's not too expensive).

Recently saw a similar samsonite here for $400+

Would prefer to go to luggage shops with brands I know and can research online rather than rando luggage/shopping shops. Any help appreciated!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingsleepy
Hi guys,

I'm trying to buy a "TRAVELPRO FLIGHT CREW 4 20" ROLLABOARD" and thinking when I go to HK might be a good time to do it.

I'll be staying a few nights on HK Island in Causeway Bay then a couple of nights in TST.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where I might be able to find this bag and or something similar? (good carry on with a bit of quality that's not too expensive).

Recently saw a similar samsonite here for $400+

Would prefer to go to luggage shops with brands I know and can research online rather than rando luggage/shopping shops. Any help appreciated!!
I dont know about prices of lugage perse but a friends niece who was traveling with us the other had a shopping list of what her friends wanted (brand names not knockoffs) and ended up not buying anything since the prices were pretty much what they sell for in LA

So unless you want some knock-off HK , SIN dont have the prces they had decades ago and it will be pretty much the same as what you can pay here in the US, at times with the super sales could be its cheaper here too
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:21 pm

I got my Rimowa cabin luggage around 30% cheaper from Germany (after VAT refund) than it would have been in HK.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:22 am
Suspended

Walk into most major department stores and they have sales all the time.
Especially if you're travelling near Chinese New Year. There will be great deals to be found.

Look up where Sogo, Wing-On, Sincere, and Jusco is. That should be able to start you off...especially if the CWB Sogo since you'll be in that area first few nights.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
So unless you want some knock-off HK , SIN dont have the prces they had decades ago and it will be pretty much the same as what you can pay here in the US, at times with the super sales could be its cheaper here too
Thanks - I'd be happy with a US price. US is cheap where I'm from

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Especially if you're travelling near Chinese New Year. There will be great deals to be found.

Look up where Sogo, Wing-On, Sincere, and Jusco is. That should be able to start you off...especially if the CWB Sogo since you'll be in that area first few nights.
I'm there 10 days after Chinese New Year - hopefully they're still on. Many thanks for the names that's exactly what I needed
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I don't believe TravelPro has any official retailer in Hong Kong. But SOGO is a good place to start - they have the major brands like Rimowa, Delsey, TUMI, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't believe TravelPro has any official retailer in Hong Kong. But SOGO is a good place to start - they have the major brands like Rimowa, Delsey, TUMI, etc.

SOGO would have brands like Zero Halliburton...Delsey....Samsonite, etc.
But unless it's something that's super recently new, no they don't carry Rimowa...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

SOGO would have brands like Zero Halliburton...Delsey....Samsonite, etc.
But unless it's something that's super recently new, no they don't carry Rimowa...
Oh, sorry, I remembered wrong then. Rimowa should be at Lane Crawford, like the one at Times Sqaure.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks kindly for this.

Since looking around and reading more on this forum I've expanded my search.

Basically for something good for carry on to fit into the following dimensions:
56cm x 36cm x 23 cm
56cm x 35cm x 20cm

The bag I listed in the OP was a bit bigger than the latter but I think I should be able to get away with it... So with your guys suggestions I will have more brands to look at, just hope I can find a tape measure easily enough or eyeball it ok
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:03 pm

Most of my HKG friends come over to the US to buy name brand things. It's much cheaper in the US because HKG rents are sky high and merchandises are significantly marked up.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I got my Rimowa cabin luggage around 30% cheaper from Germany (after VAT refund) than it would have been in HK.
I found the Rimowa prices in HKD to be on par with their US prices, which is only slightly more expensive than the after VAT but incl. shipping price (converted into USD) from Germany.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Oh, sorry, I remembered wrong then. Rimowa should be at Lane Crawford, like the one at Times Sqaure.
Rimowa has quite a few locations in Hong Kong
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this I'll keep a lookout. Actually thanks to rkkwan I was acquainted to the Delsey brand and found one in a local shop. It's double the asking price but the dimensions are good and I'm amazed at the 47L capacity while the thing weighs 2.2kg.. seems like half of what everything else weighs so I'll keep an eye out for these in HK.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Aaron01
I found the Rimowa prices in HKD to be on par with their US prices, which is only slightly more expensive than the after VAT but incl. shipping price (converted into USD) from Germany.
Rimowa has quite a few locations in Hong Kong
To give you an example: I found the Salsa 22" cabin trolley in the US through froogle for 475 US$. In Germany it costs 302 US$ (without VAT, because exported, converted at 1.36US$/Euro) and in HK about 490 US$ (3800 HK$).

Shipping from Germany costs 25 US$ to the US and 33 US$ to HK (for a parcel up to 5 kg). So in both cases you save around 30% compared to the local price (Possible import duties to the US are not included because I have no idea about that).
The website I found the offer was this:

http://www.alligator-lederwaren.de/r...lley-iata.html

Last edited by HKtraveller; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:59 am
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:21 pm
Suspended

The standard price for Salsa Cabin Trolley would be:

- $475 CAD/USD in Canada/America + tax
- $3080 HKD in Hong Kong
- €279 EUR in Europe (or 234.45 w/o VAT)

For shipments from Europe to North America/Asia, most online stores ask for €50.
So essentially, that brings the price to $284.45 €.

At today's exchange rate. 284.45 € = $2996.42 HKD

So you're basically saving less than ~$100 HKD when ordering from Europe as oppose to buying it locally in Hong Kong. Don't forget....the exchange rate your credit card charge might even be more.

I heard if you're looking at the Topas series, and you're ordering from Europe....the savings is a lot more. But that...I haven't had the time to research into deeply yet as that bag is out of my price range for the time being

Anyways, we're getting a bit OT...I believe OP has his/her eyes on a Delsey instead. OP, which Delsey model are you looking at specifically?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Anyways, we're getting a bit OT...I believe OP has his/her eyes on a Delsey instead. OP, which Delsey model are you looking at specifically?
It's marked as:
U-Lite Noir / Black Valise Trolley Cabine Slim 55cm
Specs: 39.5x53x20cm for 42L capacity and only 2.2kg.
- which is amazing compared to all the others I've looked at (4kg+).

Having said that there was another one in the store that was marked as:
Pilo - Noir / Black 53cm Cabin WPS Trolley Backpack
Specs: 37x50x20 and 37L .. 2.5kg

I *think* I can sneak into my local airline:
56cm x 35cm x 20cm on ATR
50 x 35.6 x 22 on Airbus

The TravelPro is a much better fit for the ATR flight, but it's also 4kg+ I think which is .. actually amazing to think double the Delseys.

I think the good thing about this thread is now I have a few more brands and shops to look out for when I'm there. Happy to get more

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.