Reload this Page >

Best place to buy luggage in HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to buy luggage in HK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:30 pm

There are several threads in the travel products that claim cheapest source is on-line German supplier.

Here's one link http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-koffer24.html
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingsleepy
It's marked as:
U-Lite Noir / Black Valise Trolley Cabine Slim 55cm
Specs: 39.5x53x20cm for 42L capacity and only 2.2kg.
- which is amazing compared to all the others I've looked at (4kg+).

Having said that there was another one in the store that was marked as:
Pilo - Noir / Black 53cm Cabin WPS Trolley Backpack
Specs: 37x50x20 and 37L .. 2.5kg

I *think* I can sneak into my local airline:
56cm x 35cm x 20cm on ATR
50 x 35.6 x 22 on Airbus

If you don't need the "backpack" factor of the Pilo....I would definitely get the Delsey U-Lite. That one really shines at 42L capacity.
While you may find Rimowa's at similar weight.....they only hold around ~33L. Much less than what you would get from the U-Lite. Price would probably be nearly half of it too.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
If you don't need the "backpack" factor of the Pilo....I would definitely get the Delsey U-Lite. That one really shines at 42L capacity.
While you may find Rimowa's at similar weight.....they only hold around ~33L. Much less than what you would get from the U-Lite. Price would probably be nearly half of it too.
Yep amazing 2.2kg and 42L I agree. I don't care about the backpack aspect I couldn't see myself ever doing that.

Now, to find it.. I'm just trying to beat the asking price of my local shop of $245... think that'll be achievable in HK, but can I find the same model etc. I know it's not going to be a bargain but $245 I would imagine easy to beat- no names are $50 aren't they?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended

That model will be fairly easy to find as it's one of Delsey's mainline product right now.
Chances of not being able to find one.....is like walking into a Toyota dealership without Camry's on display.

< $2000 HKD should be easily achievable. And you're probably saving the sales tax from buying it at home too.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
To give you an example: I found the Salsa 22" cabin trolley in the US through froogle for 475 US$. In Germany it costs 302 US$ (without VAT, because exported, converted at 1.36US$/Euro) and in HK about 490 US$ (3800 HK$).

Shipping from Germany costs 25 US$ to the US and 33 US$ to HK (for a parcel up to 5 kg). So in both cases you save around 30% compared to the local price (Possible import duties to the US are not included because I have no idea about that).
The website I found the offer was this:

http://www.alligator-lederwaren.de/r...lley-iata.html
When I was at the Rimowa store in Central on Queen's Rd I was looking at the Salsa Deluxe 2 wheel cabin trolley.

In the US it is $550 + free shipping
From Koffer24 it is EUR360 = USD$480 (@1.33549) {EUR310 (excluding VAT) + EUR50 shipping}
At the Rimowa store it was, IIRC, HKD4570 = USD$589 (@7.75440)

Not much pricing difference from any of the locations. Only $70USD more to buy in US and not worry about customs or duty? No brainer.

The big difference in pricing (US v. EU) appears to be when you're talking about the fullsize Topas trunks, but I didn't check the pricing of those in HK, so that's somewhat offtopic.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Lane Crawford is the official Rimowa retailer. Times Sq. location has quite the full line but more expensive than US/Canadian retail or mail order from Germany. I was there today waiting for lunch meeting at Lei Gardens.

HK brand name products are all sold at list price or even a premium to Chinese shopping tourists.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by tentseller
Lane Crawford is the official Rimowa retailer. Times Sq. location has quite the full line but more expensive than US/Canadian retail or mail order from Germany. I was there today waiting for lunch meeting at Lei Gardens.
Except for the Rimowa boutiques that are spaced about and the flagship store inside the HI Golden Mile

You can find them on the Rimowa website

http://www.rimowa.de/haendlersuche/
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Except for the Rimowa boutiques that are spaced about and the flagship store inside the HI Golden Mile

You can find them on the Rimowa website

http://www.rimowa.de/haendlersuche/
Yes those are official Rimowa stores.
HongKongers would buy from Lane Crawford due to the LC frequent shopper benefit and cash back from HK credit cards. (We are FTers, afterall.)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If you spend over a certain amount at the boutique stores you get a membership card which gives you 10% discount. It applies already when you buy it the first time - they will give you the discount immediately.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo
Just happen to come across this post. I have recently purchased a suitcase online with a really good deal. I am not going to list the online store name here in case being suspected as a connecting party. If you are interested, just google "suitcase hk".

To all Expat in Hong Kong, I highly recommend ship with S.F Experss. It's cost about HK100 and save you all the hassle of picking up.

P.S. My friend gave me this coupon code "SUITCASEHK". It's suppose to be given for second time purchase only.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I think we have pretty routine discount in department stores, that I just bought a 29 inch 4 wheeler (with UK brand) at Sogo for 1500 HKD, not great, not bad though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.