Reload this Page >

Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
~ May 15

http://board.phonehk.com/viewthread....extra=page%3D1

They placed ads in the Chinese papers lately so maybe they will have stock real soon.
I asked around a bunch of 7/11s and circle K's in Central and Sheung Wan last night and none of them had heard of it, hopefully stock sorts itself out soon.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, was able to pick it up at the 7/11 in Central MTR.

Annoyingly though, because the value of the sim is HK$80, you can't make use of the HK$148 1GB plan without topping up.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:46 am
Suspended

Picked up the CMHK 3/4G card over the weekend.....for $58 HKD

Originally Posted by theworld
Just an update, was able to pick it up at the 7/11 in Central MTR.

Annoyingly though, because the value of the sim is HK$80, you can't make use of the HK$148 1GB plan without topping up.
Or if you look at the bright side...if you top it up with $100 or more, you get 1GB for free. Personally, I find that the 200MB is enough for a 2-3 week usage already.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:47 pm

Due to the way my itinerary is set up, I went with PCCW all in one sim card for 198 hkd. It's also available in the 98 hkd version.

My itinerary is as such: 3 days HK, 7 days in Malaysia and Thailand, 3 days Macau, 3 days back in HK.

There are a variety of data plans for this sim. Since I had a late arrival, I had to get the sim in the morning (went to Tsim Tsa Tsui location).

I got the 1 day data pass (18 HKD/600 MB) for two days. When I get back I will probably get 3 day pass and roam in Macau (haven't made up mind if I want to get ANOTHER sim there). Data passes include unlimited pccw wifi as well. Pay as you go is 3 hkd/MB.

Very good reception, the 3g is supposedly faster than other networks (up to 42 Mbps). I get my H+ symbol, I'm happy.

Currently posting from my Malaysian sim. I'll be picking up another when I get to Thailand.

For reference, I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 from Verizon. It's already sim unlocked, you just have to put in the apn yourself. I suggest writing or printing out possible telco apns you will use to make sure your data works before you leave the counter (for example, Celcom in Malaysia put in the completely wrong apn for me).
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:24 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by Letitride3c:20950097
China Mobile HK's mobile data add-on is inexpensive, $18 for 7 days and $38 (HKD) for 30 days - it's not the fast 4G or 3G when I last used it - just 2.5G/Edge, slow but workable for email & mobile browsing, not for streaming video. (I have the 1C2N prepaid with same add-on options & rates) That's about $5 USD for 30 days of unlimited access (maybe a hidden cap, never a problem at 2.5G speed for me, YMMV)

"Theworld" updated the summary and PCCW in HK (with access to more WiFi hotspots) is highly recommended, although I'll most likely stick with CMHK for the time being as my m
ainland # is very useful while traveling. And, IDD calls (directly dialed from handset) to USA are very, very cheap.
I have had this card for a few days now. The reception is good, but data is, as expected, pretty slow. Emails and instant messaging are fine, but for web browsing, even a page with a moderate amount of images tend to load pretty slowly. The price can't be beat though.

Btw, MTR in HK just started a free wifi service in all of their stations. The problem is that the covered area within the station is pretty small. There might be only one hotspot in the entire station. Hopefully they will expand the coverage in the future.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swy
Btw, MTR in HK just started a free wifi service in all of their stations. The problem is that the covered area within the station is pretty small. There might be only one hotspot in the entire station. Hopefully they will expand the coverage in the future.
Might be a hit or miss at certain locations / area you were at.

You should be able to get reception almost always at the platform. I could even connect when I'm still in the train / just waiting for passengers to unload/load.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
I used CSL one2free when I was last in HK and it was great.
Arrived last Monday mid-day, went to departure level, 1010 Store, had them install for my iPhone 4s, HK$78.

Unlimited data for one week plus $10 talk time at $0.10/minute [for some strange reason, texts are more, $0.80/text!]. When I flew out Sat noon time, still had $4 of voice left for next visit....expires after 6 months. ^
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:37 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Does anyone know if prices/rates have changed since the last post?

I'm going to be in HKG in January - I was wondering what the best bet would be.

I think I need about 1GB at most for a week, and a micro-sim card.

Suggestions on which carrier would have the best product for me?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
Arrived last Monday mid-day, went to departure level, 1010 Store, had them install for my iPhone 4s, HK$78.

Unlimited data for one week plus $10 talk time at $0.10/minute [for some strange reason, texts are more, $0.80/text!]. When I flew out Sat noon time, still had $4 of voice left for next visit....expires after 6 months. ^
I think the card is actually HK$88. $78 for 7 days unlimited data that left you $10 for voice and text right? I got the same thing too back in April. The only thing is that you have to punch in the 7 days unlimited code to activate the unlimited data plan or you will be paying a per kB rate which is quite high. Make sure you have the code ready (by reading that tiny instruction paper or from the website) because as soon as you pop the sim card in your smartphone you will be pulling data unless you have mobile data disabled.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I think the card is actually HK$88. $78 for 7 days unlimited data that left you $10 for voice and text right?
Can't recall if HK$ 78 or 88
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:56 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Can't recall if HK$ 78 or 88
Was this CSL?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by dtc
Was this CSL?
Yes, CSL one2free. I don't remember exact price, they vary slightly for 4s, 5 [now 5c/5s], iPad. I thought HK$78 for 4s, HK$100 for 5 and iPad??? Good deal regardless of the price.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:48 am

Yes, CSL one2free. I don't remember exact price, they vary slightly for 4s, 5 [now 5c/5s], iPad. I thought HK$78 for 4s, HK$100 for 5 and iPad??? Good deal regardless of the price.
Yes and good coverage too. I think the only place I didn't have service was on the tram going up to Victoria Peak. But I think I got service once I got on top. It was also easy to refill the card online using a credit card.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Different pricing was a while back when they had micro SIM for 100HKD and regular SIM for $88 (but no monthly "tunnel fee").

Now it's the same card for both Micro and regular, 88 HKD

http://one2free.hkcsl.com/jsp/prepai...d_features.jsp

78HKD unlimited weekly data pack and a cheaper daily pack are still available.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Just came back from HKG, and I got 2 cards from Ap Liu Street - Shamshuipo.

1. CSL card - it's a 'Disney car' edition and I paid $50 for a $88 card - used unlimited data (7 days - 168 hours - it automatically cut off after that) - a newer edition cost $60;

2. A FM (2G) card - $30 for 2000 minutes, so far so good.

I didn't buy the PCCW one because I bought a full price one at 7-11 a couple of years ago (used on a stupid phone) and it lasted very little. Also when I was at the stand there was a guy saying he didn't want PCCW either.

You can get a PCCW one for as little as $20. There are lots of stands selling cards, not just on Ap Liu Street but on the side streets too.

If you do buy it, ask the shop owner to test the card for you before you pay. They have a special test phone that they just need to slot the whole card in and you can see the value.

I put in both my cards into the phones and checked before leaving the shop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.