Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free liquor policy to the us

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It used to be; the rules changed, presumably to cover some problems. This "no duty free liquids over 100ml" applies to all flights bound for Australia and USA, from all airports (so BKK is affected the same as HKG, NRT, etc.). It is very strictly enforced from my experience, and is a change from a few months ago when some was allowed under the right conditions.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by wdchuck1
Can someone please clarify the policy about bringing on liquor purchased at the duty free store on board a US bound flight??
Unless you have to, don't buy "duty-free".

In average (even with duty-free), the price in the U.S. is way much cheaper in Hong Kong.

In reality - there is no such term "duty-free" in the eye of CBP - as everything you bring back, even "duty-free", is included with that $800 allowance.

Beside - CBP or the U.S. Government does not assess duty on imported liquor for personal consumption (your state may).

So if you have to, go to a supermarket or similar and buy it from there and put that into checked baggage.

is this a special situation with US flights??
As others mention:

1. The flight must be U.S.-bound.

2. The country of the registration of the airline must be U.S.

Therefore, only the following airlines will experience secondary screening:

UA - All flights; DL - All flights; CX - All U.S. bound flights; SQ - SQ 2 only

Was the security personnel mis-informed??
Possible - I have once have a bottle of half-emptied Robitussin confiscated even it met TSA guideline.

Is there a scam going on between duty free and the security people??
Duty-free? No. Security? Possible.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Cigarettes are an exception though.
Liquor isn't really worth it (and beer is really cheap in Mainland China even with any duty that they may assess, granted it isn't the best but American macros aren't much better. The only reason I would even think about carrying on the beer is to ensure carbonation, and it's usually fine when served to me by the FAs)
And in my experience when I saw someone buying duty free they asked 'where are you going?'
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:49 am

Angry Response from CX?

I just had this happened to me on my connector flight from Manila to SFO. I am very irate as this is a "trap". The duty-free purchase was done in Manila and sealed with a tamper free bag. The Duty Free agent assured that my allowance is 1L. This in my opinion is a bogus trap policy by the airline. I have done enough traveling from other neighboring countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, Central and South America and have never ever been subject to this kind of bs.

Any resolution from CX, otherwise this needs to be exposed.

Thanks!

YES - he opened the seal to see what was inside the bag - which is why i think that there is something suspicious going on - or the security guy just was misinformed..

Trust me, i have done this enough to what i can't bring or not bring on board a plane - and, if there were "special restrictions" on US flights (which there may indeed have been), i should have been prevented from buying is - the same way as they will not let you buy if your final destination is an on-line connection!!

According to the IFM, there were "many" bottles confiscated at the gate...

Waiting to hear from CX to see what they say..
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by RayvinR
Welcome. But sorry to say, you are on your own.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have done enough traveling from other neighboring countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, Central and South America and have never ever been subject to this kind of bs.
None of those countries are the United States, which imposes their own rules on those who wish to travel to it, and which are spelled out (still) on the CX website:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-and-gels.html

However, please be aware that there is a secondary security screening of your liquid items at the gate of Hong Kong International airport for all passengers departing for the USA.
This is to ensure that no excessive liquid, gas or aerosol items (over 100ml per bottle and 1,000ml in total) are carried on board.

Passengers arriving in the USA without further connecting flights can purchase duty free liquid items in-flight on the last sector of their journey.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:01 am

Just in case OP comes back: I understand your frustration. But the info is readily available online, no trap to expose. Duty Free in MNL probably just weren't aware.

This thread started in 2012 and this stupid bs rule is still in place. None of that in TPE, NRT, ICN (anymore)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:46 am

Thumbs down It was a layover. I wasn't traveling in and out of HKG that is the rub here.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
None of those countries are the United States, which imposes their own rules on those who wish to travel to it, and which are spelled out (still) on the CX website:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-and-gels.html
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I just had this happened to me on my connector flight from Manila to SFO. I am very irate as this is a "trap". The duty-free purchase was done in Manila and sealed with a tamper free bag. The Duty Free agent assured that my allowance is 1L.
Your pique is not with the airline but with duty free agent who assured you. You were sold the bottle on false pretenses.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's irrelevant that you were connecting. Those conditions apply to all flights bound to the US from Hong Kong.

I've experienced secondary security for US-bound flights in Europe as well...
Old May 8, 2017, 1:19 pm

Thank you!

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your pique is not with the airline but with duty free agent who assured you. You were sold the bottle on false pretenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.