FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Checked charge hkd on dcc transactions but still charged usd (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1387434-checked-charge-hkd-dcc-transactions-but-still-charged-usd.html)

nanirina Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Checked charge hkd on dcc transactions but still charged usd

Hi all,
I've just moved to HK and have been using my US-issued CC everywhere due to no FX charges. However, many places I go now do not charge me HKD, and instead split out a DCC slip where it says i was given a choice of currency blah blah. Unlike the ones I've seen in China where it doesn't offer me a checkbox, this one does offer me a checkbox and I do check HKD.

However, every single time it still charges me the USD as stated on the receipt. Even though it's a few $ each time, and I don't want to bother to dispute the few $2 on each transaction, it does add up.

Is there anyway to reinforce them to charge me HKD when such slips are printed? This is so annoying.

thanks!

AA_EXP09 Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by nanirina (Post 19311989)
Hi all,
I've just moved to HK and have been using my US-issued CC everywhere due to no FX charges. However, many places I go now do not charge me HKD, and instead split out a DCC slip where it says i was given a choice of currency blah blah. Unlike the ones I've seen in China where it doesn't offer me a checkbox, this one does offer me a checkbox and I do check HKD.

However, every single time it still charges me the USD as stated on the receipt. Even though it's a few $ each time, and I don't want to bother to dispute the few $2 on each transaction, it does add up.

Is there anyway to reinforce them to charge me HKD when such slips are printed? This is so annoying.

thanks!

Have you tried telling them that?
Over a month I would dispute all the DCC transactions.
Mannings is particularly bad with DCC.
I don't use my CAD CC though in HK.
I have a local CC and Octopus.

tchen811 Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

Whenever I use my credit card in foreign countries, I always tell them ahead of time to charge in local currency. Never have an issue with that.

AA_EXP09 Sep 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tchen811 (Post 19315276)
Whenever I use my credit card in foreign countries, I always tell them ahead of time to charge in local currency. Never have an issue with that.

If it helps OP, it's 'sou gong bai' in Cantonese.

nanirina Sep 15, 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 19317287)
If it helps OP, it's 'sou gong bai' in Cantonese.

Yah I did tell them, but they always nod head and when it shows up on my card it's USD.

And at times some of these agents are very mean and they start to argue about that's the problem of my card and he/she has no power of what currency is being charged.

It's very frustrating.

AA_EXP09 Sep 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Funny...
On mine I got a DCC receipt but it charged HKD when I asked for HKD.
Mannings CKE Shopping Quarry Bay HK Sep 16
0.90 HKD @ 0.1277137155
(using RBC Visa, 0.11 is CAD amount)
On my DCC receipt the amount that was shown is 0.13 had I picked CAD!!!)