Wiki Posts
Search

easy, inexpensive transportation from airport to HK Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:32 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

easy, inexpensive transportation from airport to HK Sheraton

Hi, I'd like to use the subway to get from the airport to the Hong Kong Sheraton (which looks to be in between the Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui stations). Google Maps suggested taking the "Airport Express" train to Kowloon station, then getting onto a bus for 8 minutes, then walking from there.... I'm wondering if there is a more direct way to do this. I'm assuming the "Airport Express" train is the fastest/cheapest way to take the subway into town, but does it connect to the Tsim Sha Tsui stations in any way? Taking the bus seems like an extra hassle that I'd prefer to avoid if possible. Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
In addition to a public bus, which is what Google is showing, there is a special Airport Express bus that is available only to passengers of the Airport Express train. It will take you directly from Kowloon Station to the Sheraton, and is included at no extra charge in your Airport Express ticket.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_ar..._free_bus.html

Note that bus K4 departs Kowloon Station every 12 minutes, and its first stop is the Sheraton.

I understand the desire for a train-only solution, considering that the Sheraton is right next to TST Station, but Kowloon Station and the bus really is better solution in this case. Undoubtedly, someone will be along shortly to point out a cheaper solution involving a bus coming directly from the airport, but I think the train route described above is a more pleasant experience.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:03 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
In addition to a public bus, which is what Google is showing, there is a special Airport Express bus that is available only to passengers of the Airport Express train. It will take you directly from Kowloon Station to the Sheraton, and is included at no extra charge in your Airport Express ticket.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_ar..._free_bus.html

Note that bus K4 departs Kowloon Station every 12 minutes, and its first stop is the Sheraton.
Perfect. I knew there had to be a better option! Thanks very much!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:12 pm

No, the Airport Express is definitely not the "cheapest" mode of transportation from HKG to Sheraton. It is efficient. The A21 costs a fraction of the cost of Airport Express.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Airport express is one of the easiest airport-to-hotel transport in the world. Not the cheapest way to go, as others have said, but the easiest. You roll on at the airport, roll off at your stop, follow the sign (people) to the shuttle buses and the helpers will get you onto the right bus, which will leave you at the hotel door.

When the stars have all aligned, I have actual made it from the plane wheels down to the hotel in an hour.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, the Airport Express is definitely not the "cheapest" mode of transportation from HKG to Sheraton. It is efficient. The A21 costs a fraction of the cost of Airport Express.
True, but the train is under US$12, and that's assuming you don't get a discount such as the Tourist Airport Express Octopus card.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
True, but the train is under US$12, and that's assuming you don't get a discount such as the Tourist Airport Express Octopus card.
I made that comment only because OP was looking for "fastest/cheapest" mode of transportation from HKG to Sheraton.

Unfortunately, fastest and cheapest are usually mutually exclusive as in this case.

Fastest is probably taxi but the most expensive.

Airport Express is fast and less expensive (than taxi) but not the cheapest.

The A21 Cityflyer is slower and less expensive than the AE.

The cheapest is probably the E21 to Prince Edward MTR and then the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui for those who really want it cheap.

I personally like the Airport Express. However, given the location of Sheraton, the A21 is just as easy at about 1/3 the price of the Airport Express with a rather "scenic" ride into town.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Love the idea of the above-ground ride on the A21. (I'm landing around 6p so it would be a perfect time for a little tour on the way to the property.) Is it significantly slower than the Airport Express + bus K4 option?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by pnoeric
Love the idea of the above-ground ride on the A21. (I'm landing around 6p so it would be a perfect time for a little tour on the way to the property.) Is it significantly slower than the Airport Express + bus K4 option?
An extra 15~20 minutes.

Get yourself an Octopus card at the MTR kiosk in the buffer zone, immediately after custom and excise inspection and before the public meet and greet area. HK$ cash only. The single fare is HK$33 but load a few extra dollars into it. I suggest HK$200. You will find the card very handy in HK. The HK$50 deposit for the card as well as any unused store value are fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure.

Follow the sign to the Ground Transportation Centre.

Alight at Stop #14 (13th stop), on east side of Nathan Road, just north of Middle Road. Sheraton is located at the southeast corner of Nathan and Middle Roads.

Stops are announced in both Chinese and English onboard the bus and there is also a LED display to show the next stop.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:57 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
An extra 15~20 minutes.

Get yourself an Octopus card at the MTR kiosk in the buffer zone, immediately after custom and excise inspection and before the public meet and greet area. HK$ cash only. The single fare is HK$33 but load a few extra dollars into it. I suggest HK$200. You will find the card very handy in HK. The HK$50 deposit for the card as well as any unused store value are fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure.

Follow the sign to the Ground Transportation Centre.

Alight at Stop #14 (13th stop), on east side of Nathan Road, just north of Middle Road. Sheraton is located at the southeast corner of Nathan and Middle Roads.

Stops are announced in both Chinese and English onboard the bus and there is also a LED display to show the next stop.
Brilliant, thank you. I remember the Octopus card from the last time I was in HK (a few years ago)... one of the handiest things and I was surprised at all the places it was accepted.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Cheapest option is E32 bus ($10.8) to Cheung On, connecting to 41A bus ($7.1). Minimal walk, both bus fairly frequent. It is actually quite easy if you have little or no luggage. It just takes time. I say about 90 minutes.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Is Kowloon station Hong Kong station?

Need to get from HKG - JW Marriott and it looks like you take Airport Express to Hong Kong station and take H1 bus and it is the 4th stop.

Also is there room for a suitcase on the shuttles?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: QF,Virgin,Qatar
A21 Bus

The best way from Hong Kong Airport to downtown Kowloon is the Bus A21.

It departs from just outside the airport and drops you in plenty of places downtown.

You can use an octopus card for this trip, just purchase the card before departing customs and it will cover you for everything, including Restaurants, travel etc.

Great system to use

Regards

Woody666
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Is Kowloon station Hong Kong station?

Need to get from HKG - JW Marriott and it looks like you take Airport Express to Hong Kong station and take H1 bus and it is the 4th stop.

Also is there room for a suitcase on the shuttles?
No, Hong Kong Station is Hong Kong Station

You can get the free bus (yes there is space for luggage) but I'd just get a cab. Fare will be approx HK$35 and will take 10 mins or so depending on traffic.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by pnoeric
Brilliant, thank you. I remember the Octopus card from the last time I was in HK (a few years ago)... one of the handiest things and I was surprised at all the places it was accepted.
I still hate that many places I go doesn't accept it.... all the canteen and restaurant near my office .... I should kick all the sales out to fix them....

Originally Posted by woody666
The best way from Hong Kong Airport to downtown Kowloon is the Bus A21.

It departs from just outside the airport and drops you in plenty of places downtown.
Unless you are going to Jordan (aka if you stay at Nathan Hotel / Novotel Kowloon or alike), in that case A22 is much much faster or Kowloon Station (W hotel / Ritz Carlton), that Airport Express is pretty much THE CHOICE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.