Questions on getting from HK Airport to Macau

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on getting from HK Airport to Macau

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Yes, you are right but we need to be at the check-in 60min prior to departure, so just wanted to know whether we will make it to E2 within 45min of arrival.

Any info on the superclass would be great especially what the VIP waiting area means and whether there is an advantage getting off early.
No issue of getting to E2 after landing within 45m. There is no Hong Kong immigration and custom and excise formalities. The ferry company will transfer the checked baggage for you. So you don't even need to pick them up.

Sorry, have neither taken the ferry from HKG to Macao nor the Superclass. Cannot help on that question. Also not sure about the ferry baggage allowance. I usually do Macao as a day trip from Hong Kong.

The extra cost for Superclass is about HK$140 (<US$20) p.p. It's really nominal especially you're arriving on SQ F.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:25 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Sitting at E2 right now. Took only 15min from our gate to the E2 check-in. Ended up booking Superclass anyway as economy was "apparently" sold out for our sailing....not sure whether they just tried to rip off some non-Asian looking passengers.

No VIP waiting area either...let's hope we at least get off the boat first especially if the boat is actually that full.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
You will get off first, that's always the case with premium classes on Turbojet.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Sitting at E2 right now. Took only 15min from our gate to the E2 check-in. Ended up booking Superclass anyway as economy was "apparently" sold out for our sailing....not sure whether they just tried to rip off some non-Asian looking passengers.

No VIP waiting area either...let's hope we at least get off the boat first especially if the boat is actually that full.
Given it's the last (and arguably biggest) day of the Macau GP today, it's highly likely that economy was/is full.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You will get off first, that's always the case with premium classes on Turbojet.
Not in Macau as they have the upper level exit exclusively for Superclass.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Not in Macau as they have the upper level exit exclusively for Superclass.
Only if the vessel type has regular upper-deck entry-ways, and the Superclass is actually upstairs. But I do agree that is more often true for the HKG and Kowloon services than the HK Island one.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:16 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Update: Well, the sailing was fully booked, so probably correct that they had no more economy seats. Sailing was leaving around 20min late. Got to Macau and while they did try to let Superclass disembark first, in reality only the first 10 or so people from upstairs got out before they opened for everyone and they also opened another door towards the front for everyone to disembark.

So, the benefit was really not worth it. In the end what really slowed everything down was getting your luggage. Total chaos and it seemed this was the first boat they ever handled at the port! 2 baggage handlers had to carry in all bags from around 150 people or so and everyone had to wait for the bags to be aligned one by one in 3 long rows. Then everyone was let through the gates to hunt for your bag with people going the opposite way with their bags. It was an absolute mess!

Then outside total chaos due to some Grand Prix event that had just finished. In the end it took us 2 hours from getting off the boat to getting to the Conrad on the Cotai Sands bus.

Should have been an easy trip from SIN but in the end it took us 10h to get from SIN to the Conrad in Macau.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:42 am

Update: Well, the sailing was fully booked, so probably correct that they had no more economy seats. Sailing was leaving around 20min late. Got to Macau and while they did try to let Superclass disembark first, in reality only the first 10 or so people from upstairs got out before they opened for everyone and they also opened another door towards the front for everyone to disembark.

So, the benefit was really not worth it. In the end what really slowed everything down was getting your luggage. Total chaos and it seemed this was the first boat they ever handled at the port! 2 baggage handlers had to carry in all bags from around 150 people or so and everyone had to wait for the bags to be aligned one by one in 3 long rows. Then everyone was let through the gates to hunt for your bag with people going the opposite way with their bags. It was an absolute mess!

Then outside total chaos due to some Grand Prix event that had just finished. In the end it took us 2 hours from getting off the boat to getting to the Conrad on the Cotai Sands bus.

Should have been an easy trip from SIN but in the end it took us 10h to get from SIN to the Conrad in Macau.
I think that it's just the timing of your trip coinciding with the Grand Prix event.

BTW let us know how the upstream check in at Macao works on the return flight!
Old May 17, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm glad that I found this thread. I'm on my way to Macau, and I had planned to take the ferry directly from HKG airport to Macau. The problem is that my flight is scheduled to arrive at 6:10am, and the earliest ferry to Macau departs at 10:15am! Although HKG isn't a bad airport, with no lounge access for this transfer, it would be boring but doable.

Now, I just learned that my flight will arrive in HKG early, at 5:34 am. I might be able to tolerate a boring 4-hour layover, but I think this pushes me over the line. If my flight arrives as scheduled, I think I will choose to enter HKG, use the Arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast, then take the A11 to the ferry terminal on Hong Kong Island. If my calculations are correct, this will cost less money -- and get me to Macau earlier -- than waiting for the first ferry of the day from HKG airport.

Does this sound right?
Old May 17, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it sounds right.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks rkkwan for the quick confirmation!
Old May 17, 2014, 3:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikew99
If my flight arrives as scheduled, I think I will choose to enter HKG, use the Arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast, then take the A11 to the ferry terminal on Hong Kong Island. If my calculations are correct, this will cost less money -- and get me to Macau earlier -- than waiting for the first ferry of the day from HKG airport.?
First bus at 06:10
IIRC the fare is something like HKD40, takes just a tad over an hour. Just in time to catch the first [/few] 'normal' sailings to Macau.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:25 pm

The dilemma is:

Priority immigration and arrivals lounge for CX F and then taxi/bus to ferry terminal or use SkyPier and clear customs on the Macau side.

Anyone tried both?

-J
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
immigration/customs took 30 seconds at Macau when I went but baggage retrieval from ferry took an hour. Very disorganized process. The skypier facilities are spartan at HKIA (equally bleak at Macau), don't expect CX F lounge service here, more like Greyhound bus.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by number_6
immigration/customs took 30 seconds at Macau when I went but baggage retrieval from ferry took an hour. Very disorganized process. The skypier facilities are spartan at HKIA (equally bleak at Macau), don't expect CX F lounge service here, more like Greyhound bus.
I guess I am asking if we should use the perks of flying CX First and get our baggage and clear customs in Hong Kong and then head to the CX arrivals lounge or if we should go ahead and transfer to the ferry and deal with baggage and customs in Macau.

If we exit at Hong Kong then we have access to the arrivals lounge for a shower and a snack and we will have our baggage in hand. The downside is we will then have to make our way from the airport to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry.

If we transfer in Hong Kong then it sounds like we will be waiting for a long time for our bags when we get to Macau. We also run the risk of getting to Macau and not having a room ready to use for a shower.

Has anyone tried this one both ways and have a preference?

-J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.