Community
Wiki Posts
Search

worth staying a bit longer in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:13 am
Original Poster

worth staying a bit longer in HKG?

I will be flying JFK->YVR->HKG->HGH with an award ticket. It will be F OW and J from HKG->HGH. I have never been to HKG and have about 65 minutes. I suppose I can take a later flight from HKG->HGH and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to take a shower at the airport lounge and take a taxi out and spend 3 hrs, like sight seeing etc?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Hong Kong is a great city, but I think you would need more than three hours.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by yoyo
I will be flying JFK->YVR->HKG->HGH with an award ticket. It will be F OW and J from HKG->HGH. I have never been to HKG and have about 65 minutes. I suppose I can take a later flight from HKG->HGH and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to take a shower at the airport lounge and take a taxi out and spend 3 hrs, like sight seeing etc?
No you can't take a taxi out and spend some time 'sightseeing'. Imagine if someone said that they'd like to do the same in New York when they have the same time as you do. Now what would you say to them?

You already said that you only have 65 mins. Even if you take a later flight, there is not much time for you to see in a few hours. Best is if you take the time and spend a few days to appreciate HK.

[mod hat on] .. As thread has nothing to do with CX other than the flight, thread will be moved to the HK forum[mod hat off]

Thanks

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-mod
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Personally, I'd do a stopover of at least 3 days, if you want to check it out. 65 minutes is a bit tight for a connection. I had 90 minutes a couple of months ago, and had to go from one end to the other, and it was not enjoyable.

You'll have to go through transit screening, too. I'd take the 3 hour connection and enjoy the F lounge.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No you can't take a taxi out and spend some time 'sightseeing'. Imagine if someone said that they'd like to do the same in New York when they have the same time as you do. Now what would you say to them?

You already said that you only have 65 mins. Even if you take a later flight, there is not much time for you to see in a few hours. Best is if you take the time and spend a few days to appreciate HK.

[mod hat on] .. As thread has nothing to do with CX other than the flight, thread will be moved to the HK forum[mod hat off]

Thanks

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-mod
Thanks. I thought only NYC has bad traffic :-) Anyway I didn't notice there is a destination forum. I guess I will be do some reading instead and bring the wife and kids for a real trip next time.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:28 pm

The onyl realistic thing you can do is go to see the Big Buddha in 3 hours. it's a really quick bus/taxi ride away to the cable car ride...so if you do decide to layover longer you can do that and run back to the airport...but if anything I'd try to schedule at least half a day layover.

Disneyland also has a transit promotion but you'll probably need around a 12 hour layover to do that.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
While "realistic", it is not advisable or rational to do the NP360 cable car with a short stopover due to its frequent service disruption, whether mechanical or weather-related.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

The plane actually arrived half an hr earlier but I already switched to a later flight before I took off. 65 minutes would have been more than enough. I stayed in the lounge and took a shower and ate the breakfast/lunch buffet. All was good. Next step will be doing a real vacation in HK with the family. Thank you all.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by rkkwan
While "realistic", it is not advisable or rational to do the NP360 cable car with a short stopover due to its frequent service disruption, whether mechanical or weather-related.
Not to mention that if the only thing you ever did in HK outside the airport was seeing the Big Buddha, it would be an injustice.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Noodlesz
The onyl realistic thing you can do is go to see the Big Buddha in 3 hours. it's a really quick bus/taxi ride away to the cable car ride...so if you do decide to layover longer you can do that and run back to the airport...but if anything I'd try to schedule at least half a day layover.

Disneyland also has a transit promotion but you'll probably need around a 12 hour layover to do that.
It can be very crowded too, with lines to get up and down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.