Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 20, 12, 2:04 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, BA Brown
Posts: 12,872
accommodation ideas for family of 5

Any thoughts on which hotels might be appropriate for a family of 5 in HK? Would ideally want to be on the Island, but would consider anywhere between Central and Fortress Hill. If we were on Kowloon side, I'd want to be pretty much ontop of an MTR station.

Kids are quite young so I suspect the best/easiest way to do this is to get two interconnecting rooms with a roll-away in one.

As for budget, I don't want to go crazy so was thinking more a solid 4* than an over the top 5*, but preferably with a pool. Given prices jump around so wildly in HK exact numbers seem difficult to pin down but at a maximum I wouldn't really want to spend more than US$500/nt for all of us.

Thanks
Swiss Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 2:50 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Any thoughts on which hotels might be appropriate for a family of 5 in HK? Would ideally want to be on the Island, but would consider anywhere between Central and Fortress Hill. If we were on Kowloon side, I'd want to be pretty much ontop of an MTR station.

Kids are quite young so I suspect the best/easiest way to do this is to get two interconnecting rooms with a roll-away in one.

As for budget, I don't want to go crazy so was thinking more a solid 4* than an over the top 5*, but preferably with a pool. Given prices jump around so wildly in HK exact numbers seem difficult to pin down but at a maximum I wouldn't really want to spend more than US$500/nt for all of us.

Thanks
I know that Marriott Skycity allow 4adults in staying in a deluxe room (with 2double beds) without surcharge, maybe they can add an extra bed for your kid, not sure about that, you need to email them and check it out. However, it's not on the HK island, it's somewhere near the Lantau island, Disneyland and the airport. They do provide free shuttle to the Tung Chung MTR station though=) You can get about 120 USD/night there, pm me if you wanna know how=)
Dolphinyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 4:10 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, BA Brown
Posts: 12,872
Thanks - 2 rooms would be better, though (I don't want to go to bed at 8pm when I'm on holiday!)

We've only done 5 in one room once and it was a drag...
Swiss Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 10:48 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PEK and BOS
Programs: BA - Blue
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Thanks - 2 rooms would be better, though (I don't want to go to bed at 8pm when I'm on holiday!)

We've only done 5 in one room once and it was a drag...
Welcome to our life! Even when we're in a suite, our daughter pretty much ensures that we have to head to bed when she does. Luckily for us (on holiday, unluckily the other 50 weeks of the year) she goes to bed fairly late.

Sorry I can't actually help with specifics, but your budget seems reasonable enough to get two decent rooms.

tb
trueblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 12, 10:14 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Programs: Too many...
Posts: 531
How long are you staying for? For extended stays (7 nights or more) the Royal Park in Sha Tin has some excellent all inclusive packages. Although it is out of the centre it's only a 3 minute walk to the MTR station through a mall and then 15 to 20 minutes into Tsim Tsa Shui.

The hotel itself is a very solid four star hotel that offers free one way airport transfers and a free shuttle to downtown. Rates for the long staying package are around 100 per night, including breakfast, club access and internet.

I stayed there in February and will probably stay again there next year also.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Flyersj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 12, 4:42 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, BA Brown
Posts: 12,872
Likely to be two stays of 2-4 nights each, so don't want to be too far out of the way. Bulk of the things we'll want to do will be on the Island, so being 20 mins further out isn't great.

Thanks for the suggestion though
Swiss Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 12, 9:04 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Diamond
Posts: 309
apartment stays

Have a look at http://www.airbnb.com/search?gclid=C...%3D&af=1922719

Seem to be a few places that should suit you
mdevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 12, 3:22 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, BA Brown
Posts: 12,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdevans View Post
Have a look at http://www.airbnb.com/search?gclid=C...%3D&af=1922719

Seem to be a few places that should suit you
Interesting - I've heard of that outfit but never looked at the website so your post inspired me to do so.

First one I look at greets me with this...

"Kindly remind that there is no lift in this apartment, It is on 7th Floor if you don't mind to carry the luggage to climb-up."

err, no thanks!

There's one that might work (with a lift) but it's c. 200/nt, which equates to HK$3600. That's about the price of two rooms in the solid 4* places (or even the Langham in Mong Kok) that i've seen.

For a stay of a week I may consider an apartment but for a few nights I'd rather have the 'extras' that come with a hotel.
Swiss Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 12, 7:48 pm   #9
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 441
We (3 seniors 2F, 1M) had a nice suite at the Royal Plaza, Kowloon side adjacent to a nice mall with lots of eateries and shops. Easy access to MTR and train/buses. close by Ladies market & MongKok by Prince st.

Had a full ensuite bath and a seperate toilet and basin for the "living room", 2 TV sets, 2 queen beds, a roll in cot, full size sofas(I think they could convert to beds), a small dinette set and mini fridge. Clean, quiet spacious rooms. Comfortable. Mezzanine had a nice breakfast buffet set up.
8dimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 7:05 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
Posts: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dimsum View Post
We (3 seniors 2F, 1M) had a nice suite at the Royal Plaza, Kowloon side adjacent to a nice mall with lots of eateries and shops. Easy access to MTR and train/buses. close by Ladies market & MongKok by Prince st.

Had a full ensuite bath and a seperate toilet and basin for the "living room", 2 TV sets, 2 queen beds, a roll in cot, full size sofas(I think they could convert to beds), a small dinette set and mini fridge. Clean, quiet spacious rooms. Comfortable. Mezzanine had a nice breakfast buffet set up.
How much did you pay per night?
__________________
No more programme "enhancements" please!
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 7:12 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
Posts: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Interesting - I've heard of that outfit but never looked at the website so your post inspired me to do so.

First one I look at greets me with this...

"Kindly remind that there is no lift in this apartment, It is on 7th Floor if you don't mind to carry the luggage to climb-up."

err, no thanks!

For a stay of a week I may consider an apartment but for a few nights I'd rather have the 'extras' that come with a hotel.
I checked the site too and some even said something like 'kids are not welcome'.
__________________
No more programme "enhancements" please!
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:58 pm.