Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HK tap water: drinkable?

HK tap water: drinkable?

Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:05 pm

Tap water is actually not cold during the summer months as the searing heat warms up the water tanks on the roofs of buildings.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Tap water is actually not cold during the summer months as the searing heat warms up the water tanks on the roofs of buildings.
Of course! HK summer is like a big sauna. It's the thing that I really don't miss about HK.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by nacho
I think a big problem is the empty bottles - people throw away so many of them each day and it creates a lot of rubbish.
I actually buy the biggest bottle I can get and use it to refill the small bottle I carry around. :+>

Audrey
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by tommyleo

So what's the real deal? And why the disagreement? I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the locals are holding on to old beliefs about the water that are no longer based on any merit.
The water is OK but the beer tastes better
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I found the taste to be a bit off, I still drank it from the tap if I was thirsty but would usually boil it then put the kettle in the fridge.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Not sure if it's cost related. If you order hot lemon water in a restaurant, they have to boil the water and it will cost a lot to boil too, if you order cold lemon water, they can just pour water straight from the tap. I think it's just a way to get people to pay more since HK can be steaming hot during summer.

My family filtered and boiled water before they drink it. It's a hassle but it's better safe than sorry. Getting ill in HK is not so fun, when I get a cold in HK, it takes longer time to recover. My mum always tell me to see a doctor but I have lived in Europe long enough to believe in the fact that you can treat a cold/flu.
In HK I boil then leave it to cool, but in London I filter from the tap.

How does boiling water cost a lot? Remember that 95% of restaurants serve hot tea +/- water whether you want it or not, and only the higher-end restaurants charge you for it, but you are actually paying for the air-con, not the water.

I get colds in HK at 15°C but not in London at 5°C (unless someone sneezes directly into my face - grr)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by zerogx
In HK I boil then leave it to cool, but in London I filter from the tap.

How does boiling water cost a lot? Remember that 95% of restaurants serve hot tea +/- water whether you want it or not, and only the higher-end restaurants charge you for it, but you are actually paying for the air-con, not the water.

I get colds in HK at 15°C but not in London at 5°C (unless someone sneezes directly into my face - grr)
I was referring to a previous post about why Cold drinks cost extra but not hot drinks. What I said was that it costs pretty much the same to make hot/cold drinks.

Heating things up costs a lot of $$$ - I'm sure you know since you live in London. When I was living in the UK, I filtered water and then boil it and drink it because my Brita filter jug had a black charcoal layer from the filter. I think it's a bit weird to drink it straight from there - I know it's perfectly safe.

You do pay for 'tea' at yum cha restaurants, even at Tim Ho Wan.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:17 am

Why run the risk of getting sick when you can afford bottled water.

If you are on vacation, why take the chance of getting ill?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Have lived in HKG for over 4 years and never in a nice/new building by any means. Always have drank the tap. Have never been sick. Continue to drink tap to this day.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Have lived in HKG for over 4 years and never in a nice/new building by any means. Always have drank the tap. Have never been sick. Continue to drink tap to this day.
You probably had a strong immune system to start with. By now your body is used to whatever is in the water .
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I'm not so sure, but appreciate the compliment . Plenty of people I know here drink tap water.

I think, sadly for HK and some other places, the fact that its in Asia and was "developing" in the past or to some "is" (and then some visit here and realize its developed), probably does not help with the perception that the tap water is not safe. I am sure there are old buildings with poor plumbing/pipes etc in NA/Europe though people pay it no attention and drink the tap stuff.

I know I drank the tap stuff on my first visit in 1996 (as did my family) when I did a lot less travel and perhaps was more sensitive and nothing happened either.

In the end I would not worry about it (especially as a resident), but if on a business trip it never hurts to be more cautious, regardless.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I'm not so sure, but appreciate the compliment . Plenty of people I know here drink tap water.

I think, sadly for HK and some other places, the fact that its in Asia and was "developing" in the past or to some "is" (and then some visit here and realize its developed), probably does not help with the perception that the tap water is not safe. I am sure there are old buildings with poor plumbing/pipes etc in NA/Europe though people pay it no attention and drink the tap stuff.

I know I drank the tap stuff on my first visit in 1996 (as did my family) when I did a lot less travel and perhaps was more sensitive and nothing happened either.

In the end I would not worry about it (especially as a resident), but if on a business trip it never hurts to be more cautious, regardless.
I got sick gargling tap water at a hotel in Los Angeles. LOL.

Here in Bangkok I brush my teeth with tap water here. No problems yet.

I remember at the St. Regis in Singapore I drank a glass of water and no problems.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:56 pm

Never had an issue with it since i moved. The locals boil it through habit more than anything - back in the day you had to. Now, unless you're in a grotty old building, of which there are very few left in central area, you dont need to bother.

Given the general hygiene standards of people here, there is plenty more worth worrying about than the water.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
tap water in hk is drinkable. iim sure i do it a lot in resturants - some have filters and im sure not all and i've drank from them.

ice in cha chan teng: they buy it. that's why the shape is always the same.

boiling water cuz chinese thinks "raw" water and "cooked" water respond differently to body. Hence many of those suggestions.

However if the building is old i suggest buying water. there's not much boiling can do to metal deposits and rust. or dissolvable metal ions.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
How often do they clean out the roof top water tanks in residential buildings? Once a decade, maybe? or when dead bodies are found?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.